FTFC'18 WWII Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender Designed by LitterBug

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Here's a simple way to reinforce the pivot hole and distribute the load better for the front control surface.

View attachment 96923

Can be set up parametrically for different thickness of foamboard and different diameter skewer/pivot rod. Could also come in handy for reinforcing the skewer holes on planes with rubber band mounts....

Cheers!
LitterBug

That would be very handy for all us canard builders! Do you have it posted on Thingiverse or Onshape or somewhere?

Thanks!

HilldaFlyer

I agree! Simple KISS.
I have a 3D printer so that would be great. Lighter than plywood and nose gear steering mechanism.
Good job. Now put it into the Ascender.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I created a parameterized OpenScad script to generate them. This allows for easy adjustment of material thickness and pivot hole diameter. The code generates a matched pair for a tight fit. I can post up the code, but it may be beneficial to generate a few different standard size pairs as well for those not wanting to mess with OpenSCAD.

Code:
// Foamboard Thickness in mm
Fthick= 5;
// Holesize in mm
Hsize= 2;

What would be some good sizes to pre-generate and post up with the code? Maybe single and double thick foamboard and a handful of like 2-4mm holes?

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

I agree! Simple KISS.
I have a 3D printer so that would be great. Lighter than plywood and nose gear steering mechanism.
Good job. Now put it into the Ascender.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Printing some test versions out to make sure the geometry is OK. Will post the .stl files up soon.

TestPivots.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Foamboard Hole/pivot reinforcements

Made some mods after printing them out and actually trying one on a piece of foam board.
Bushings.jpg

Made the press fit looser. Figured out it is better to have a short part to press into, so that it can be used either flat tword the foamboard, or the sleeve tword the foamboard, Also allows for variance in material thickness.

Files can be found:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2609255

Please check them out and provide feedback on how we can make them better!

Cheers!
LitterBug