FTFC'18 WWII Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender

HilldaFlyer

Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender

This should be a good project.

Information gathered about the XP-55 Ascender

In November 1939 the US Army Air Corps issued a proposal for a fighter that would be much more effective than any current fighter. The proposal specifically called for unconventional aircraft designs to produce new designs with an increased top speed, climb rate, maneuverability, armament and pilot visibility. Curtiss-Wright proposed the XP-55 Ascender along with competitor proposals of the Vultee XP-54 and Northrop XP-56.

9mmE8qr5psIRUTsyn_x9-kVRnTVDUrL2v0Q7xTuKKcMr6OO_4qLIg-rCJzJ4Aj-WThCuWiWtqphHvXXtofIIVn0qfrWMytoPKiZYaOEBPo3JWq8jl6ixAaPxiwyL_yPirkeNQpwM

The XP-55 was originally designed to house the Pratt & Whitney X-1800 engine with a projected horsepower rating between 1800 to 2200, however that engine project was cancelled so the XP-55 settled for an Allison V-1710-95 liquid cooled V12 with 1275 hp. The loss of power contributed to the poor performance that played a hand in the cancellation of the XP-55 production since it did not perform as well as conventional fighters of the day.

The first XP-55 flew on July 19, 1943. During a stall test the plane fell out of control for 16,000 ft, the test pilot safely ejected, but the plane did not survive. The second XP-55 first flew on January 9, 1944. It had increased canard elevator surface to augment the flight performance but all flight tests were restricted to avoid the stall zone. The third and last XP-55 first flew on April 25, 1944. Unlike the previous two, it had four feet wing extensions that greatly improved the aircraft's stall characteristics. Additionally the nose elevator was given a greater amount of travel. Sadly, the third was crashed at an air show in Ohio killing the pilot leaving only the second XP-55 which can be seen on exhibit at the Air Zoo and Kalamazoo Michigan.

A more detailed history can be found at the following links:
Curtiss XP-55 Ascender
The Dayton Air Show
Popular Science August 1945
Virtual Air Museum

Drawings on which I will base my plans.

0m99UtRvex2hWSF0vZIoHJ4D_R_x-NYLyw0KvRbvCyFWfSrM4eYguB2-ymrYQOxb4_3x-2uCkXXPcbuamqP5d_RG2jPVE4vHiDHrs2xFUINo_Te9M04Qq5c1E7miIWWMWCP9gNkW

Popular Science August 1945

WKKMEqxVLkZJ2vmkAnb2VzhbtFFb0ZHWFEwVBovimxFtMHRusHeyzzhSdIwVkh7_N8sBzJqGbUnkopqmgyzbfKJP5VRVWIW9S8DVII_nBRycjovQqSnJe2spYZijurRxna2RIrGC

Solid Model Memories

wRav5SYC6GwoETiq9-7SMQ3fTMMUnmmfneHQubB7UcMR9oB5nv4RhYyMKIdTvFoKemw8M51h1f1aJ72tcA8Zfeh-M8QHnfTROAQPq0-AQIVLrxTk0LoTztkMI4dSsYgkJQ4NpZyx

World War Wings .com

JUfuGFBYIut6Qcnte6R7dVfIBaxMdDgBPNwLrcebRClB-GMOX7O3rUECg-Ose0Y74EccENYpGmsaGYiDj2kgTIEWtJP28tmOCZbhZhpzfkBQyHLgL_vFeVglKrH9JPm7x_QHwo6a

Static RC Groups.net

Here are a few videos I’ve found

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome aboard the challenge!! :)

This one looks like it has enough vertical surface that it might not run into the yaw problems wilsonman was talking about in his WW2 build thread - but that's probably a good thing to take a look at just in case.

Erospace

This one looks like it has enough vertical surface that it might not run into the yaw problems wilsonman was talking about in his WW2 build thread - but that's probably a good thing to take a look at just in case.

I think this one has sufficient distance between the center of gravity and the vertical stabs.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor

Once I had the Shinden flying well, I incrementally chopped off more and more vertical stab area just to see what would happen. You could remove a lot of it before instability issues crept in.

This plane has the center section as well. You can always start off big and trim stuff down.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Between having more vertical stabilizer area and more wing sweep, this will probably be easier to get flying well than the Shinden. This is one of the odd planes on my "I'd like to build that someday" list, very interested to see how it plays out.

HilldaFlyer

Thanks for the interest and comments...

I'm tempted to make this with a fixed canard and elevons like the wings I currently fly. That way I can test out the performance and determine if the elevator surface canard is needed.

I can't believe they built this thing with flaps. That would totally nose down when deployed... guess this is why the elevator canard was indispensable.

My intention, right now, is to make each wing 30" long (length of a single foam board). I don't know what scale that will turn our to be, but it will be a start.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Thanks for the interest and comments...

I'm tempted to make this with a fixed canard and elevons like the wings I currently fly. That way I can test out the performance and determine if the elevator surface canard is needed.

I can't believe they built this thing with flaps. That would totally nose down when deployed... guess this is why the elevator canard was indispensable.

My intention, right now, is to make each wing 30" long (length of a single foam board). I don't know what scale that will turn our to be, but it will be a start.

Just a heads up, but the shinden would not hardly fly at all without a functional canard. If you turn it off mid flight, the plane would still fly, but you would't have enough elevator authority to do much more than keep the plane level.

HilldaFlyer

Just a heads up, but the shinden would not hardly fly at all without a functional canard. If you turn it off mid flight, the plane would still fly, but you would't have enough elevator authority to do much more than keep the plane level.

Good to know. I wouldn't have guessed. I was going to make the nose completely removable to slide the battery into the nose. Guess I'll make a functional canard and see what I can do with a battery hatch. And thanks!!!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Awesome! I committed to this airframe as well in the DRAFT thread, but have not created my official build thread or posted in the official thread. Looking forward to seeing your take and progress on the build. Looks to be a challenging build!

Cheers!
LitterBug

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome! I committed to this airframe as well in the DRAFT thread, but have not created my official build thread or posted in the official thread. Looking forward to seeing your take and progress on the build. Looks to be a challenging build!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Yeah, what's up with that? :confused:

At least start up the build thread with one post before procrastinating for 4 months and then jamming something together at the last minute :p

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah, what's up with that? :confused:

At least start up the build thread with one post before procrastinating for 4 months and then jamming something together at the last minute :p

No problem. :) Here's a link to the link to the link to the build... :cool: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?36073-2018-Flite-Test-Forum-Challenge-WWII-Design-amp-Build&p=360002&viewfull=1#post360002

Wuz outta Town wif my bud Woodstock. (workin on another "unofficial" WW-II quad build....)
Woodstock.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Most excellent! Think you might need to have a talk with Woodstock's hairdresser though. That 'hawk looks a little rumpled :p

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Just read LB's update on his thread so thought I would pass on what he discovered so it is not over looked.

That is not a canard but in fact the elevator with trim tabs and everything according to the post he made. He has pictures of the real plane in his thread which is how I assume he discovered this most important piece of information.

HilldaFlyer

Well guys... Looks like the thread is still alive even though I have not contributed. So guess I'll pick up the activity.

OK - so I’ve been out of town for a bit….

G600yuDPLMDS-wynU4Zro47eSgUl8KssV7ZwAdLZze5HICd3U7reDA6M9O1i3-WZT8Ny1XlD_HNUpoEI_TQ7Tau9c_GIIUqtIcMUeNNcTsYKDgxHyBi2jaQPW_aRMFypbgm4d-x0

Put 6295 miles on the car traveling to UT to visit step daughters and to MT for a family reunion.

6sDRo7NwB3w69bR8oLvhXEw3lJS02JZh5c2iRoGSmNvFraWfa8Y7LjZd_mJOvpkd_ihoqH2Np-VK5W5G2YSFDMn_wyUU_v3Fb0XABv3RLDdVzO4PoLWbyucUaxzD5IP4vbcVdE_N

Round Trip.

JP_164HtKozHr2F500QgTt4yOthfYOtOx1yhkU53qeQLHGw8g7IH8mS8IGB590iMOKKUg9ygFyroo1xZ4FqYrExzaXkS5lmjU-i7lcfnVyrnDOXQ8S885nbgxF5bY_KxewaZqdWa

Lake Erie at Cleveland OH - Sunset

Bhq4MuGi6OQlUZ4XUza_B3v6kM06BZB7X9lmHliwB5UanaKwZpbPiyc5EsKlYMptyVIZA5RrxpCLvgSz7bc6Ju-zJ-EePS_96YmENyuegqrc6JftTyOgAXRYCBQVsRBmzpmaueQK

zMPZxgzEEJIvf5eNjh05gVvKSDMiHY5jiQBsG14phi7e57ljhq0tq1gNcAPmJbkwAw4KHx-0lKTMHXG6LY6gZJAK9SpQ3TvG7_b8mMoyxcsjBm1HCqiHJoTp7Ha-RkvoMgqjnjDr

kkBLUHoGBi-0fk5XAqJBFTjFj-ewiowzOAidO40KhuJu-yeUMx3AEeS7PqYNv_5rPBrkCaXasKt4a7HxecmgsUKYKJGEzvjclBNqKFDeCM7r5pqX_x8cNZp0fW6IqEIryRXvEG1H

Stopped for a look at the SACAM in Omaha NE
dwp8jVFUFYQUuR_bhyXD3-KIjYUi1t3WBWY2GrUu6pA0UFoJEsOmJHu8Ew4NjwPAGXJBAOv-Jg5OqCpEUrFIQDZL0UI5Rd7Fp0Cm0VvPO4UJqJXttRGx76UnK6AT3aJg7c_zY_xL

A car show was starting so most of the aircraft were rolled out of the way and off display.

NIO2IhRjc_xIEe28IXbl8a1LBLNAaLdcTM3sweu0tBL-rHAaiAYKHtgfGSnpxsMoPLU-i661w9FiQuafXl0Vi8Uix4RdpzESB__9V4o9qrWmuNRtpzulz7wPpr04KrUkRguTXgi5

I’d like someone to build and fly this baby!!!

ndqtBiyYTiTqbn1A06VZVxu2kad5ekY5yVk9zYlIZUfnbhsEAihbzuRlBEsPi3buwMhZZAG28_oVnPdvjwbAuSlc-sYGPHBOrAbj0lR-ddGsu6pw_BZOLPMLDZjlz67rgs3m41Pj

Jelly bean with wings and a jet engine.

QomEElVnO1x3cqZX7AmPX-NmQ6LCvpK4dOjtiGovGm1mmn-3b6ot_Mu36-zrmuSuGMvDQPO1FV-dPswMmLH0xmWD7c4y4JsDUd2JJRpyGwfgKjLvuLkXFE9G3Xb4phY5yOdpClBi

Big pink roadblock in Wyoming.

_H_ASRTUkfZFWPlohxxvZoYf02HQt3Nj4nBu0uWnTFgBCmuy7XYdQ9LGLgZdkdBLXiRxLQ8-dpHm_7EpBacHZeSzJg9wDJVE6g61kZ0aKTkdlJN9Vr10EDu74IhKqX4cHjoTNWVZ

That’s one big WIDE LOAD! Nobody was allowed to pass… until he pulled off the road.

7sGdTCVUBbAgXtOY6vJlRQh9hgLfNDI6Bb4ttSOICC_HvvdxJN6uqkRniAKgb1TP90CyW3odWVXnIdr8Ft_Or45s1JKBn9EgzxaMsCm3Pg3uuPQ7bv24FDTAimbz0gizQPoezd4h

Good thing I only had to follow him for 5 miles to the UT border… doing 20 MPH!

k1lNX1W0iooS6Xr0cMvXUnZXN4sgcV-gzI_13cWze2qP1ISyv8WCiLyFSe6VXJt_s4DeCnwlCSqD_2Rcw1L3CyjkgFa0jajLlZSnGnxqFT_1O6n8xdhYgVifheQ2y5rj_dpJPMDU

Interstate 15 in Idaho Falls was closed… so we found a nice cozy place near the airport to Stop. We had a little unplanned entertainment….The Blue Angels Demonstration Team.
Sorry - Photos taken with my cheap Canon PowerShot.

nYIUGcllYeNQl_AFlslLpRenEM9Y0dbs8H7vBlirtNGFhiv5-RWMxdC1ZYUEzCSLl_KWpBOwdLYRVYqwZZVdW66WhlivsQ27zv_aj2eoT9QjdJM-803RqE05oEjgPXdNBfIQaJFQ

Blue Angels - Idaho Falls, ID

L2ChGjt9Kb9wYLFTGueqf6POHqnhVlOMxXvNE7vNqhhtLeet7D3B6No0XRnjjL3TLOF4BCu-jjvdRkh5oyiucxKBSYtfDOWUSqsNjbkaZ1qe4AlUdYDdleJKTdXa-VG7GJFupryD

_ZVfmrx68UX5CwEX7ZcWVAnObqLk_yPFCYNcQdvuNiZDX4aDhfKaO9o0vwAsgRB23dVvLIaQ5FrQqX9sTI0RZfa8I8kLPjuEGF4v-2FRstzGD3-nCZW6jpsspmggbyyzPwMB3E1O

7ONzov2RlUHK1SX1ir7ubENXqoAgHnNxrQlYh_lxsjOMUCr7Q-EyGMV2axyAd-1eNG3wuBeZ0qAHH_ji9dq1OfcaYwaAqIWkIUAplycpr9nRHivO2lzAGttI4_G7GpvjJtfNCcZ8

dAVlxpIW1TJsjVGYd6tzUZuIvTfrbjkn9RmYM1Msldh0OyX-lriw-uE7RzHpMJdyupzPl5F8vYJWVB3acUj_1u5k-mk4jOo0IJPvtK3-SeaLDOXGgmOYFUK6IrwNq6RLFfFCyLiY

fDLgivNJAqloS9zYD5edgyAvsZlS8QZYTegMVZu3yRS3go4SEfJaa3XBUxkEYZG5udE6XOuNklyxaXCiynIvfwoFIydVPaGiBvtI3vweBWD9FPig8cmZHmAO6lIBbA6Chu35UJPD

aVuSjWOpyel2jjEytp7_82ZZ7Nv46t4Dso0MScKB79Q1NdwJpklDF0L4fcl_rGoeD9MkmivmiDZI3nKjSrHO54WyVLUazi9A5SBlTfnjKh1Q3lHH68mLALqOy0Grn3mOusfSv3Gz

2s95txn4hUnfAN9rgYDpxUptzLPAZpv4ExTGSKjbD5Zuwe1iuOwCF8iCIbmyMGz3wgcceD9hbl9od6V3VijPb5f3rwh2ZUMXNvtsz9MhXTfA37c8RqEe8WJoUiG-gsYEulAtmti5

MOj94pe5lJfQdWUcmITtS1kCNMJ4xyc3OUTZN0DkIqjqdiBpfRdkvPNySP0zT9cn9RYlk_jrxoVSv20YLeWx6AjTRE9coT8COODXKmbNwaHGx8DoK7tcY-HqaxUGT67F3HcnXQtj

5OHgeekK3QpgkEQCGdlUTEC00jjAOedAFgLmtOH1b5lFaVSCXeRsw-bD5WOtPzXrJP_h_3MOVfk4H66gkQwB1yIdZS4hvXUt3UZmpoD92p38Q2fDcT1E0zr39n_yCdb9JpJMybQj

LPhfkoeVTnaFjJ07CvFVdxEZiIMvhLH6FwcbUP56rtYFjToS6o5zr6b8vN702aZc5_IdUtw-TLwamHZAMMe2y5jbZCjb9nGO7yKSpO5A5aabPLzl2nf45EXhiUQlLpSkcetci1SL

uLmn5MvnbcLnkwa9XYJyv09DL8Ha6rSytoHTpf5W58JIMN_fJZkplbRiijmtJFA53ABldDeIjw3yVkSyTT5eVysshV4bZmKz6NUj0EMKkQdf_V7vat1IIUq4I1PJGieqAo9Z9rj0

NQ-UNwSWXJFNSp8Oc0uyZNmGDzXB3aMXrhcD4y_zqrZsDXMIiUO3CWY-gwWIJO_noHgpe4mqHFFUqSRbOuxJmD_W1bYr3vAlbU3d9FWZlxlEEri-IvXh85LtAKsRt6WXS-6H_O8l

YH-dshNalclh5WfUHobPh5TTN_RC3X7b9DWHZltNdxBFxUgajtqC6WHlKezNwIe57PiKEzL2F3vAcu8nZg1bTjEnul7XrYTnMCIQq-wCJriayLSOaeslwM8FJqdcEvCIGg0H3kDX

Sunset - Nevada Lake, MT

_SBQxSH2YV88nqRwUbFFSIizdxckjTHOOpdQK7DhF68zo3VrkKuJoIW0ybBp8gU_YUY2Flh1u3pnyiNbx2fo7ppWw4fWZExq8hbxOxU5lHoi9GwMr_SkTGOA5W_fg0WuTKbyaOG1

A seldom scene on Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park… mirror calm.

PkUNBsmyNhlrSadLa7bBORjYPQyXaenseKDzt0ewtyVApzb5ng7VJmR_ZVrJ58bw95W9SGTTCzgZwIZ4YialcCHvzEiIua7Pb3SoHh4f6XqJKGyJZJyB4L2fgn-qMUAvNq8I6ETB

Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park

GIUbvqugNZYDQdjeBo52Zcx00hF6zJY8_DDTCA7qXqyO6zCpPEBM2J8io64Q27dGQGUOkY1lE4h0jFlm-CfbFk9KYX4ahya5xCZ9Ss1lJZFuqho1VmcNl4WkTka7GKSLzQ820DZ0

Travel companions, Annabelle and Wife Anne.

bNUmM_22APOq9ICElgw4MAMkP2wd9QQwTs_zdqVcLUH7bdJZXFXgNnSZMF_LJYEzlupJmVcUMidbwLGKyvJ6rqxaQNy0pLeqVue2_4oj9v4AxO-cel3l9pgOwQ1MofPZYuxFJoJ9

Bowman Lake, Glacier National Park - a place I camped in my younger years.

RgAW1IcUJuZBEdPw0F8xnxnCpBQ0f5RFSCUDNb_0YNfuSfF2Tc_5aFwVGx5YXQQfBE_PZrzbaGqLnf4t5QRJ7g--z6kpWRUINVv8iW2daakKGnbSlsBseaj1WxWiKdgLjCx6UILG

Junk yard on fire in Arlee MT.

wum5X_S8Ub4ANXWXrUVXOhpWehD_E5Xb3MPXMv9O2EkHJ-nzFeyv-zDc59bVkA_0mH6A6TdLlSMUDtmwzunN_MnTtY7UcofNFnc25GLOxA3dol-pkgaO2twkdZcWNSpUSUvVQzAD

Ground crew was first on the scene.

gaQXOIBH14LYt0YoQa6R_4cp54vpzKEdnpUwRlbVgPXWta6b2XIU-vAIz8zk0ZygsfI_ZbH5Y4JSiPR2GD12vQptkaStcSVYEfEpF_uJoISnpcL9H4hW66I2kR3lYCO5TjG5Kls7

But they called in the big guns… We got to see some aerial firefighting.

_Gu9Zv_lcnBT3EkivRVEFlzdIlrJUnItjCHXMJQYjvnK5Lx-iAmIkyzpy_nm7VruPLwBZdiTfgZGy5_gyTlUXP5vc70hhqH-rsN-Y8VBVkDearalzYvuRgzei43Rq3Yz3jwnJ2ks

Picking Huckleberries in Seeley Lake MT

tTHuvI5XYzLR2lRNXe33wYi78dYDr5oMtF69S1kWj6yR0PcEYxSFc_SK_PcX3rNlVH0IwNkyiexSgBzdm-Og6l6TDJJEL7cAyPVTm7CrFidwxUIEfoIXo-wTycsrunZyjIqXTNPt

We found a really good patch

jewNa9_GCBNxrhm4Vp_mtmnZnV-ISkgZmoaeLLdrrmefO5dRKw-1iXnv_5ppGeXy_q2o27jzNjGD4CEOP3vlSjUwkpX5vk6gRYdcQuwto4_lfYyKAxil_nKcsDc1WxqDq_zzkOMQ

We picked almost 2 gallons in a couple of hours.

Now - back to the build.

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

Cheers!
LitterBug

Excellent! Didn't see your post... so I hope I'm not stepping on toes here. Had a couple of weeks to think about it... now to the drafting table. If you're going to FFE2018, Let's fly together. I'm looking at your build thread to see how you take this on. I think I'm going to do a square clunky fuselage just to get a prototype in the air with a canard and then play with making the fuselage more curvy. Another trick, as I understand, will be to make the canard an actual control surface.

HilldaFlyer

Just read LB's update on his thread so thought I would pass on what he discovered so it is not over looked.

That is not a canard but in fact the elevator with trim tabs and everything according to the post he made. He has pictures of the real plane in his thread which is how I assume he discovered this most important piece of information.

Thanks PsyBorg,
I've decided to make the prototype with an elevator control surface canard with a switch to turn it off and on. That way I can tell in flight how useful it is at least for models. I know you already pointed out the critical nature of the elevator canard... but my thought is that if it isn't totally necessary, I think the FT community would find it easier to build without a canard control surface. However, I agree with you that it probably is necessary since it has been demonstrated. We'll see.

HilldaFlyer

Here is a bit of info... kind of fun.

This one clearly shows the elevator canard control surface, and it has a lot of motion

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's a nice looking plan!

But that load of huckleberries looks way better! :applause: