FTFC'18 WWII Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender

HilldaFlyer

I have some good news and bad news. First, the bad news. A few weeks after the maiden I tried another flight. The outcome was less than optimal, rolled almost inverted out of the hand without enough height to recover. Nosed in and broke the fuselage in half right at the wing canopy section. Spent a week and built a new fuselage, then hung it up for the winter. That's why I didn't get paint on it before the contest ended.

But what and awesome day last Saturday... Good news... Here is the maiden of the rebuild...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
What an awesome launch! Very smooth! And a perfect landing too! Just need to do something about protecting the bottom fins...

Namactual

Elite member
I am glad you got this bird back in the air. This was a very cool build. It looked like once you got it dialed in it handled quite well.

I can't wait to see it with a coat of paint.(y)

HilldaFlyer

Thanks guys! I'm too am really glad it got up. On this flight I did notice that when going around corners (or going up) the weight in the tail seems to carry, so any abrupt change in flight direction seems to send the tail forward. Nose up, tail down = stall. The trick to flying this one is keep the speed up and minimize any abrupt elevator activity.

Tsavah

I hope to see more of this project in the near future. It is a favorite subject of mine, but clearly a challenge since it was done at the height of aircraft development in transition to jets.

HilldaFlyer

Took the day of the 4th off from work to paint the Ascender.

PKwtPoH1jKk_9oswHypW_SoGVV-F3iFGaxv-Nd2o_PEmPgY40UyFutB1gy2KY5uIjrfasAMHw_QqUB6ZptkXtdbHGPH3IJXRBXXYzCcmeASobdSDjGiPUBOEOH3GGJRjKFAwplr4

d00if3Nrg3EpvYTSoH0I4LdeKKsx6qHtmwwgoQwPZrwHIraGuD3oJtkyB0DAWK8uzUxFoJkbt9J_3lrlb7eQ-5n_SAF_KkWmNnIeskirAxhSd3eXu_eWIoxJMVsUxsMqeCs9bxlP

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Looks great. Particularly like the cockpit windows. Did you print them like that (with the frame) or use white paper and a sharpie?

HilldaFlyer

Looks great. Particularly like the cockpit windows. Did you print them like that (with the frame) or use white paper and a sharpie?
I painted the green frame and I was going to paint the windows black, however, to get sharp lines I outlined with a Sharpie. It looked so good with white (Ross-Wlamart foam board) that I left it that way.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I painted the green frame and I was going to paint the windows black, however, to get sharp lines I outlined with a Sharpie. It looked so good with white (Ross-Wlamart foam board) that I left it that way.

Absolutely AWESOME build! Will you be at FFE next week?

Cheers!
LitterBug