FTFC'18 WWII Daimler-Benz Projekt B

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Well my burst of inspiration on the Do-635 died the death of priorities and shifting interest. Nice as that aircraft is, it's a recon ship and not well suited to the goal of flying a "combat" mission.

So off I go to another option that brings together cool factor and ease of assembly. I'm hoping to pull Craftydan into this one, but time will tell. He's a busy man and is tied up in another of my crazy projects too.

I'm going to build a Daimler Benz Projekt B carrier ship complete with its parasite planes.
DBProjectBFrontAngle.jpg

The two parasite flying bombs will be simplified and drop as free flight birds in the bomb drop contest:
3bdbbmbf.jpg

And then there's the little jet fighter. Should be a fun little critter, and I still haven't decided how I want to have it set up. One thought is to cram a 30mm EDF into that pod, but another is to go the fun, cheap route and stick rocket motor in there. Either way, it's going to be a similarly simplified model based of Estes body tubes and the like.
dbb3view.jpg

This should be a fairly simple build honestly. I'm not looking for a fast model either, so I'll probably go light on the power system and just produce a nice fun flier. Won't be hard to get a good power to weight ratio even with small motors and escs. I'm probably going to base the fuselage assemblies off Estes body tubes again just to keep things nice and simple. Might even buy balsa nose cones from Balsa Machining Service just to simplify things even further. Basically, it's an epic project that turns out to be pretty easy!

Design Specs

54" Carrier/ 22" Bomber / 8.8" parasite jets (1/40 scale)

Carrier:
IMG_20171021_124936.jpg
2xPower Pack A Twin Engine sets
- 4x 1806 motors
- 4x 6x4 props
- 4-7x micro servos (anything between 3.7g and 9g will work), need up to 3 extra servos for releases if
you don't buy the kit
2x BT50 body tubes from Balsa Machining Service
1x BNC50X for cockpit (cut down to fit)
4x BNC50Y for tailcones
1-3x piggyback release
6-8 channel receiver (minimum functions: R-E-A-T with passive piggyback release, R-E-A-T+Aux for single or combined release)
3x sheets waterproof DTFB
6x wheels
1x 3s 1800-2200mAh lipo carried under wing
Velcro for mounting rx and battery
1/32" plywood for control horns
.042 piano wire for pushrods

Jet Bomber:

IMG_20171019_215702.jpg
2 extra servos from twin engine powerpack for Carrier (used 9g servos for wing and 1 3.7g servo for elevator because I had them)
40mm Dr. Mad Thrust EDF
20A ESC
6 channel receiver (R-E-A)
1x BT60 body tube
1x BNC60AH for tail cone
1x BNC60MS for nose cone
1x sheet waterproof DTFB
1x 3s 800 mAh 30C lipo
1/32" plywood for control horns
.042 piano wire for pushrods

Parasite Jet, RC (up to two of these):
IMG_20171025_180104.jpg
1x AR6400LBL rx/servo combo
1x Parkzone long throw linear servo
1x 2s 200-300 mAh lipo
1x Turnigy 1220-10500kv inrunner
1x GWS 2.5x0.8 prop or similar
1 sheet 1/8" balsa for fuselage
1 sheet 3/32 balsa for wings
1 sheet 1/16" balsa for stab and sub fin
Blenderm tape for hinges
.015" piano wire for pushrods, elevator connector, and carrier hook
1/64" plywood for control horns
velcro for battery attachment
1/16" aluminum tubing for elevator pushrod guide

Parasite Jet, free flight (up to two of these):
IMG_20171026_104039.jpg
1 sheet 1/8" balsa for fuselage
1 sheet 3/32 balsa for wings
1 sheet 1/16" balsa for stab and sub fin
.015" piano wire carrier hook
1/32" plywood for catapult hook (optional)

Plans now available.
View attachment DaimlerBenzProjektB.zip

Builder's guides for the jet bomber and carrier ship are now available in my model plans drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9t_4cR6_fI7QjhEdlNYOW1qd3M

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I hope someone will make a 1/10 of this one so we can put two Fieseler under the wings, this thing looks nuts really.

Michael9865

Elite member
This looks like what ended up on a napkin after the designers & engineers of bombers & fighters got together over a few too drinks.

Watching with anticipation.

HilldaFlyer

Basically, it's an epic project that turns out to be pretty easy!

I smiled and chuckled too.

First, I thought... what a difficult project to match your talents. Then I thought, man, our definition of "EASY" are on opposite sides of the spectrum. Best wishes... I'll be watching.

Namactual

Elite member
That moment when you realize that 50% of your air frame is dedicated to landing gear... :p

So many interesting builds and so many problems to solve. A lot of pioneering build techniques will be the result of this challenge.

MrFowl

How big are you thinking those parasite planes will be? You think a 10in plane would fit? ...might try to make a version of the xf-goblin for someone else to build and fly with you.

HilldaFlyer

Someone has got to make the Goblin, even if it is just a dropped "glider", although I'm pretty certain it will not glide. I'm willing to try my hand at a free-fall Goblin - provide the scale to suit and I'll see what I can come up with. I'm thinking really light... foam frame and tissue.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
A quick look at the Goblin says it should glide just fine. You'd probably have to trim it as a flying wing though. Powered would be mighty fun regardless.
I'll keep you posted as the build progresses and will try to keep things to a scale which will permit a reasonably sized parasite.

MrFowl

Are you volunteering? ;)

Maybe! First I have to finish (start... Lets not get ahead of myself) my regular sized Goblin. I imagine a 10" profile version with some plantraco gear on it would be pretty simple (modified flying wing style like you mentioned). A glider would be simple enough to do in that fashion too.

Last edited:

MrFowl

Someone has got to make the Goblin, even if it is just a dropped "glider", although I'm pretty certain it will not glide. I'm willing to try my hand at a free-fall Goblin - provide the scale to suit and I'll see what I can come up with. I'm thinking really light... foam frame and tissue.

A built up model at that scale would be pretty awesome!

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Very cool project! Lots of toys. Regarding the rockets, is there anything small enough to give manageable cruising power to a 2 lb model?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Very cool project! Lots of toys. Regarding the rockets, is there anything small enough to give manageable cruising power to a 2 lb model?

2 lb is absolutely massive. We're looking at something in the 20" span range for the rocket powered segment. You could get an Aerotech reloadable 29mm motor that would fit their S8 fuel grains, and that would give 8 seconds of thrust. All the other options are for pure ballistic launch. I'd think that a clean build would let you fly on a single use D engine though. It'd be scary...20" foamboard bird going 150-200 mph...But I've flown models that small that fast on many occasions. You just kinda deal with it.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
And here's a first pass at it. Still looks like a piece of cake. I need to buy some model rocket body tubes soon for this one. My one concern at this point is transportation, and I make have to make some sort of break down assembly which will involve carbon tubes and Estes tube couplers. Man I haven't played with that stuff in years!

I've determined that the parasite bomber will scale with a 30 mm EDF. <happy dance>

2017-08-28 14_11_32-DaimlerBenzProjektB.skp - SketchUp Make.png

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
BIG NEWS! FliteTest is sponsoring this build by supplying FT glider releases for the mother ship!

With this addition, I'll be able to keep this build to a very traditional FT style save for my weird model rocketry take on the fuselages. :D

Pod__96810.1503620162.jpg