FTFC'18 WWII Daimler-Benz Projekt B

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Wow, That will work out amazing. It would even work great for large bombs, or torpedoes. If anyone goes for the Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine. This would work out amazing with it's torpedoes.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Wow, That will work out amazing. It would even work great for large bombs, or torpedoes. If anyone goes for the Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine. This would work out amazing with it's torpedoes.

Dude. Do it! That would be amazing!

Also, we're on the home stretch were plans are concerned. Gonna have to order nose cones soon!
2017-08-30 17_09_51-DaimlerBenzProjektB.skp - SketchUp Make 2016.png

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
And the plans are essentially finished now.

2017-08-31 08_53_21-DaimlerBenzProjektB.skp - SketchUp Make.png

Here's the overall layout. It's a reasonably sized airplane, and the little jet bomber isn't overly small. I'm going to have to come up with some reinforcing tricks on the landing gear, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

2017-08-31 08_52_50-DaimlerBenzProjektB.skp - SketchUp Make.png

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
You could get an Aerotech reloadable 29mm motor that would fit their S8 fuel grains, and that would give 8 seconds of thrust.

Thank you. I did a little research and saw where that one company was bragging about their 8 sec. burn. Too intense. I suppose the experimental fuels are frowned upon. What about high carbon black powder? Would that be mellower?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Thank you. I did a little research and saw where that one company was bragging about their 8 sec. burn. Too intense. I suppose the experimental fuels are frowned upon. What about high carbon black powder? Would that be mellower?

I wouldn't say too intense really...it works just fine for 1.5m span gliders that are built stupendously light. A friend of mine put an I motor into a highly modified (bagged in carbon) Estes Stratoblaster and went about 350 mph with it. Burn time is like 0.75 second for that setup.

I highly discourage custom propellant mixes for newbies. It can and has been done, and works well under controlled conditions, but you can cost yourself a lot of money and possibly get hurt badly if you do it wrong. And there are a lot of ways to do it wrong.

No ideas on longer burn motors. Not my specialty by a long shot. The guy who makes the Rapier motors had it down for the most part, but they're now export restricted from the Czech Rep, and there was a period where they were experiencing catastrophic casing failures from grain delams. Not particularly dangerous, but a good way to destroy an expensive airplane.

With that in mind, Aerotech bragging about an 8 second burn seems justified. Long burns are tough. They like to explode.

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
With that in mind, Aerotech bragging about an 8 second burn seems justified. Long burns are tough. They like to explode.

Good to know. I believe I need to stay with a turbine or EDF for the effect I want. I did take the opportunity to watch a few rocket glider videos. That looks like a fun way to launch a glider. I would like to try it sometime.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Joshua, fantastic work here and good use of readily available materials to ease construction.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Joshua, fantastic work here and good use of readily available materials to ease construction.

Thanks! I'm really liking this route. Makes for super easy builds.

Nice - is the fuse the Estes rocket tubes you mentioned earlier?

Yes it is. I actually got the tubes from Balsa Machining Service because they sell them in longer lengths. They're better tubes, and cheaper. Win-win-win.

Let's throw in an update, shall we?

That's right, I installed the electronics, permanently attached the flying surfaces, and stuck a little inrunner on top. And indeed, it flies. Handling is excellent...really smooth and easy to fly. It's marginal on power though. To combat that, I've finally selected an EDF. A 40mm Dr. Mad Thrust unit is on its way from Hobbyking. I'm expecting that as small and light as this model is, it should be absolutely ballistic on that powerplant. Flight times will probably be really short. :rolleyes:

IMG_20170925_200118699.jpg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
it should be absolutely ballistic on that powerplant.

..that the whole point - right? ;)

Any chance you could share the plans for this one early, before the whole project is done? I'd like to try this one out (although I wouldn't be able to build it for a couple of weeks).

DamoRC

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Any chance you could share the plans for this one early, before the whole project is done? I'd like to try this one out (although I wouldn't be able to build it for a couple of weeks).

Yeah, I can do that. Let me get the EDF mounted (arrives on Tuesday) so I can get the plans reconciled to fit it, and then I'll get everything posted online.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
More progress has been made. Wiring up four opto escs and an old BEC and not having the correct wire was all kinds of fun, but it'll work all the same.

IMG_20170930_141807.jpg

IMG_20170930_141714.jpg

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
I love that mini bomber! I am gonna make one based on it, with a 1306 red bottom motor and 3" prop. How do you think it would go as a trainer?