FTFC'18 WWII Daimler-Benz Projekt B

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
So... We're ready for paint and such. I need to get the wheels mounted too. As you can see, I got the Dr. Mad thrust unit mounted and it does a fantastic job on 3s... Pretty close to unlimited vertical. The jet handles well and has a phenomenal roll rate.

IMG_20171007_224516.jpg

I maidened the carrier ship on 2s with only two motors and even with some nose weight it was downright nasty...No roll authority, unstable in pitch and yaw. After I got the outboard nacelles mounted and their motors installed (seriously not fun...I buried a defective ESC in there and paid a high price getting it dug out and replaced) I added more bosses weight to put the CG at 25% of root chord. Remaidened it on a 3s 1800 and it flies very nicely. Unfortunately it's really awkward to hand launch and I've damaged it some just getting it airborne. The tailbooms are really vulnerable. I believe the correct move would be to throw some carbon rods in there.

IMG_20171008_082359.jpg
IMG_20171008_082301.jpg

It'll be airworthy again this weekend and hopefully Craftydan will be able to fly the jet off of it in flight. Getting exciting!

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
That is one unique bird! Nice work. I hope there'll be a flight video in the future.

By the way, I was flipping through the October Model Aviation magazine and a couple familiar names. Congrats to you and Hope.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
It flies!!!

After several test flights of the mother ship, I decided it was time for the real thing, so at HHAEFI this weekend, Dan Crews piloted the DB Jet away from the mother ship on the first attempt. No drama, just sweet flying. Can't ask for more than that!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
She's a fun little bundle of dizzyness. Handles fairly well, but that's with 45% expo on the ailerons. Bang the sticks and she rolls like a drill bit.

Overall a nice bank-n-yank EDF, and a sharp contrast with the mothership's lumbering glide.

Last edited:

MrFowl

Do you know what the weight of the small jet is? If I get a plan together for the goblin I want to make sure it won't ground the mothership.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Do you know what the weight of the small jet is? If I get a plan together for the goblin I want to make sure it won't ground the mothership.

Not sure, but from feel, the jet is pretty light for the size. The rocket tubes aren't much to talk about structurally, but for their size, they weigh next to nothing.

FAI-F1D will have to drag out a scale for it . . . assuming he has one on hand that can weigh that high -- "pretty light" is "piggishly heavy" compared to his typical builds.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist

I'd estimate 10 oz, but I'll try to remember and weigh it this evening.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist

Ok I'm gonna say keep it under 15 oz. I've got plenty of power to spare up to at least that point. The takeoff in that video was at half throttle.