FTFC'18 WWII F-82 Twin Mustang designed by 320dude

320dude

After looking through various xplanes, I decided on the F-82/P-82. I like the original P-51 Mustang so I figured that having two of them together would be even more fun. According to the research I've done this plane was first tested June 15, 1945 (During WWII) but did not go into service until after WWII in 1946. For the prototype (picture below), I am using parts of the wings and the fuselage from the FT Mustang Plans. However I had to add a section to the middle of the wing of course and will to have to create a new tail which will span the two fuselage's. After maidening the prototype and seeing how it flies, I'm planning on creating my own fuselage design which will be less 'boxy' and more closely match the shape of the real plane. There will also be a bomb drop between the wings as with the original plane. Right now I'm thinking of using a twin C-pack for the plane as the wing span will be ~60 inches.
Any comments/inputs are welcome.

http://www.boeing.com/history/products/p-82-twin-mustang.page
https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=182

Attachments

• North_American_XP-82_Twin_Mustang_44-83887.Color.jpg
    North_American_XP-82_Twin_Mustang_44-83887.Color.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8020.jpg
    IMG_8020.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Excellent approach!

Starting with a 'known working product' and modifying just a couple things at a time should get you to a successful bird with the least amount of backtracking :black_eyed:

I borrowed NerdNic's speed wing design for my Caudron C.460 for last year's challenge and it worked out great! :cool:

320dude

I'm going to print a cowling for the front, which will probably involve redoing the fuselage from the wing forward. As well as changing the turtle deck a bit so I can have an actual cockpit. Not really set on anything yet, I mainly want to make it look more scale.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'm going to print a cowling for the front, which will probably involve redoing the fuselage from the wing forward. As well as changing the turtle deck a bit so I can have an actual cockpit. Not really set on anything yet, I mainly want to make it look more scale.

cool! are you going get rid of the undercambered wing tips and redo the airfoil so the cross section is smoother and less "jointy"?

320dude

cool! are you going get rid of the undercambered wing tips and redo the airfoil so the cross section is smoother and less "jointy"?

I wasn't planning on it, but thats not a bad idea. Do you know of any planes that people have done that with so I could see how it looks/ is done, to get some ideas.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I wasn't planning on it, but thats not a bad idea. Do you know of any planes that people have done that with so I could see how it looks/ is done, to get some ideas.

Uh yeah, you"ll have to design you own using the following techniques could try something like Experimentalairlines technique

or the better looking one would be nerdnics speed wing, but although it will look great (props to nic) it will have some drawbacks if you're a newer pilot it is a harder wing to build and fly with possible less lift, tip stalls, and it will be a whole new way of flying, so if you were to try it build something like the p-39 on a C pack setup just to get a feel for it.

but here is a plane design series he did, I haven't watched it but I think he talks about speed wings
here

320dude

Maiden Flight

I maidened the plane on Saturday and it flew really well. The go pro on the wing tip made the plane roll to the left considerably, I did another flight afterwards without the camera on the wing and it flew nice and level. The plane could use more throw/surface area on the ailerons and it has plenty of rudder and elevator authority. Right now I have a c-pack on the plane which provides enough power but it could be a bit faster. For being my first low wing plane and my first warbird I am very happy with how it turned out.

IMG_2239.jpg IMG_2245.jpg IMG_5030.jpg

Awesome! :cool: I've been interested in building an F-82 for quite a while. What is the center to center distance between the fuselages?

320dude

Awesome! :cool: I've been interested in building an F-82 for quite a while. What is the center to center distance between the fuselages?

I don't know the exact dimensions because I don't have the plane with me at school. But the center section of the wing is 20 inches and the fuselages are at either end of that. If you do build it, the plane flies great as long as you don't put a gopro on the wingtip like I did for the maiden.

320dude

LOL!

I think that quote is applicable for a lot of designs :p

Yeah, I realized that right after takeoff. The plane barely rolled to the right, but at least it has plenty of yaw authority even without using the differential thrust. On the next revision I'm going to make the ailerons larger to get a bit more aileron control.