FTFC'18 WWII FH-1 Phantom designed by Namactual

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks for the compliments and the suggestions. The roll rate could definitely use some work. Next time I make it out to the field, I am going to move the aileron control rods out closer to the ends of the servo arm. They are bottomed right out at the moment. I am going to dial in some expo as well. That said, as far as flying goes, it is easily the most relaxing EDF I have ever flown. I always have a few butterflies flying my F-22's, and I never felt that at all with this build. Well, besides the maiden that is. It is fun and relaxing.

I like it.

I had originally planed to retire the alpha and build the beta using the same electronics, but now that I ordered new equipment I am going to continue to fly it and experiment as I go.

The Beta is pretty much ready to be pulled apart and plotted for prints.
Update21.jpg
Update22.jpg
I spent a lot of time trying to add a more scale look without complicating the build. She looks a lot more scale now.

Stats: (old) - (new)
Wingspan: (41") - (49")
Length: (38") - (44.5")
Weight: (796grams with 1x1550mAh 3cell) - (TBD expect 1100-1200grams with 2x1550mAh 4cell)
Thrust: (625grams) - (TBD expect 1400 - 1500grams)

I am going to focus on the beta build as my primary, but I will refine the alpha and release the plans for it as well if anyone is interested.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
It just keeps getting better! The big one ought to fly awesome, especially with the high thrust/weight, and I love how all the scale improvements as well. Looking forward to seeing the next iteration! Would be really cool to supersize it someday and do a big one with twin 70s and retracts.

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks brother!

Oh, believe you me I have thought about massive builds with all of the details. I would LOVE to build one. I just would not have a place to fly it. Errr, land it rather.

Off topic: I have always wanted to build the 106 in the Michigan Six-Pack livery.

Maybe someday...

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Thanks brother!

Oh, believe you me I have thought about massive builds with all of the details. I would LOVE to build one. I just would not have a place to fly it. Errr, land it rather.

Off topic: I have always wanted to build the 106 in the Michigan Six-Pack livery.

Maybe someday...
That would be a sweet build! My dad was with the 87th FIS Red Bull's in the U.P. I've got a fiberglass 106 I found at a swap meet but haven't gotten around to building it yet. And I know what you mean abut finding a place to fly. I struggled with that for a long time before I moved. Luckily the club here has a nice runway. Otherwise I was flying my planes with retracts from a high school parking lots early on weekend.

Namactual

Elite member
My dad was with the 87th FIS Red Bull's in the U.P.
No kidding? That's awesome!

Yeah, my 47" P-51 has retracts and flies great, but I to am stuck flying it at the school during the summer. I think I have had it up in the air a total of 6 times over the 2 years I have owned it. :(

Oh well, just because I can't use landing gear does not mean I can not make'em big. :cool:
I was actually thinking about coming up with some kind of drop tank design I can use for landing skids on grass. It would look cool and be functional. They would have to be stout though.

Small update on the beta Phantom
Update23.jpg
Engines are go! Going from 30amps to 80amps. :eek:

As far as the build goes, apparently I am not happy with simple because I have been racking my brain the last few days on somehow finding a way to make the engine pods removable. I would like to make the EDF's serviceable without destroying the air frame. I have not really had any luck yet.

I will come up with something.

I hope.

Namactual

Elite member
Update:
I put the beta on hold today to do more flight testing on the alpha. It was just too nice of a day to waste inside. I played with CG and also burned a few 1550mAh 4s batteries through it. Unfortunately I could not hire my camera man so no video today. :( I might just have to invest in a GoPro or something I can strap to the old nugget while I fly.

Anyway, putting the CG farther forward definitely helped with the pitch issues. My glide path was not nearly as nice and slow, but it was more stable.

These HobbyKing 3s 50mm EDF's are good to go on 4s. Hand launches are fool proof on the 4s and as long as you fly with some throttle management, the motors don't even get warm. I am using 30 amp ESC's and they were a little warm, but I don't have a lot of air flow in the hatch area. I am sure with some air flow these would be fine for continuous 4s operation. The majority of my flights were about 1/2 throttle with a few full throttle blips here and there.

My second flight with the 4s I did a few "high speed" passes, but it still is not what I would consider high speed. The air frame is just not built for speed. You have a ton of power for getting out of trouble though. This would be a good EDF trainer on 3s and a GREAT one on 4s. On 4s the idea would be to keep the throttle below 75%, but you would have some "oh crap!" power in reserve should you need it.

As far as the beta goes, I have still been wrestling with the serviceable EDF's. I redesigned the engine pods 5 times trying to come up with a good way to make the EDF's removable, but had no luck. I finally just gave up today. Progress had stalled and I was getting frustrated. So I went back to the permanent attachment and redesigned the pods.

Again.

And again, I completely rebuilt the engine pods in the computer and had a few renders ready for upload. As I was looking at the renders frustrated with myself I had an epiphany. Something so simple yet effective. I could kick myself for not thinking if this earlier.

I am still kind of burned out of redesigning the same part 6 times, but this idea has sparked at least some excitement back into the project.

When I get the RE-design work done, again, I will post pics.

Lucky number 7 it seems.

robobob

Can't wait to see these new engine pods, been loving this build so far and I reckon I'd like to build it at some point in the future if you're releasing plans?

Namactual

Elite member
Thank you kind sir!

I will be releasing plans for sure.

I need to take a break from the beta build for a bit though. I think I am going to refine and rebuild the alpha while I take a break. It is such a good flier, and relatively easy to build.

I will upload the plans as soon as the build checks out.

Namactual

Elite member
Update.

It's been pretty busy at work, and I caught a cold that has kicked me right in the canoobles. It was such a great weekend to fly and I did not feel like getting out of bed for most of it.

Good news is I think the worst of it is over. Also for as little Phantom time as I had, I got a lot done.

This is my Alpha MkII
Update24.jpg
1:The biggest change was moving the EDF's forward into the wing spar. (The yellow was the old location.)
2:Shrunk the efflux tube nozzle to 100% of the fan face rather than 100% of the EDF housing.
Will do thrust tests on different size tubes during the build.
3:Working on a "sport" wing option (not shown) which does away with the under cambered wing tips is favor of higher speed.
4: Did a few more scale appearance tweaks.

also found this the other day and thought I would share...

Cold meds are kicking in, time for bed.

Namactual

Elite member
I am ashamed to admit it, but I have been working on this thing with every free minute I have had. Granted, I have not had as much free time as I had before, but I should be farther along than I am considering.

Here is my new airfoil...
Update25_1.jpg
I can't even count how many hours I have put into this. If I had to guess, probably 25 revisions or so. I keep playing with the delicate balance of optimal performance and ease of build.
Update25_2.jpg
Trying to fit those EDF's into a blended wing root, be structurally sound, and look scale has been a challenge to say the least.

Here is a cross section of the airfoil...
Update25_3.jpg
It has about 3* of incidence at the root and 0* at the tip. All without an overly complicated set of spars, ribs and stringers. This design will also carry over to my larger Beta build which I hope to have removable wings.

Again, it may not look like it, but I have been working on this.

A lot.

I hope to start the Alpha MkII build by weeks end.

Sir Fly

Lol Why are you ashamed? I have had my alpha build sitting on the floor next to my desk for WEEKS and haven't maidened it yet. :D Albeit, it's partly because I haven't had a ton of time, but I definitely could have squeezed a maiden in somewhere.

Honestly, your build is amazing - much better than mine. I'm sure that every small detail or change you add to that aircraft will prove beneficial in some way. And I wouldn't worry that much about the looks of the wing root; to me it looks scale and accurate to the actual plane.

Keep at it man! It's looking incredible so far!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
More "Wow!" from me. I admire your attention to detail and patience and it looks like both are paying off.

DamoRC

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Looking sweet man! I love all of the detail that gets added with each iteration. The added washout should make it a bit more friendly to fly as well.

Namactual

Elite member
Thank you for the words of encouragement guys, I do appreciate it.

I have been MIA for a while, RL getting in the way of course, but I did manage to get some more flying in. I took a collection of footage and used it to experiment more with video editing.

I had a 10mph cross wind that day, but she still flew pretty good. I have not done much on the new build as of late, but my schedule should be back to normal next week.

I hope you enjoy the vid.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Love the silhouette when she flies right overhead - shows off her good looks.

DamoRC