FTFC'18 WWII FH-1 Phantom designed by Namactual

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks brother!

Anyone have experience using minwax here? I have seen the YouTube vids on how to put it on and such, but how does it behave on a hot glue seam? Does it do anything to the paper/glue bond? Maybe weaken it in anyway? Cause a mess?

Should I try to avoid getting any on the hot glue seams or just slap the stuff on there then wipe it off and not worry about it?

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Thanks brother!

Anyone have experience using minwax here? I have seen the YouTube vids on how to put it on and such, but how does it behave on a hot glue seam? Does it do anything to the paper/glue bond? Maybe weaken it in anyway? Cause a mess?

Should I try to avoid getting any on the hot glue seams or just slap the stuff on there then wipe it off and not worry about it?

I have some experience doing it with a couple flying boats I’ve built. Hot glue seams are usually okay if theyre done before applying minwax. Just don’t expect anything put on after minwaxing to stick very well. It can be a bit of a mess so make sure you wear gloves and put something under it. Other than that, you should be able to just brush it on and wipe it off no problem. Expect to dry overnight though.

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks skymaster.

Oh, I tried mounting those EDF's everywhere on the 3D model. It all boils down to the size of the EDF's and the shape of the plane. On my prototype I mounted them aft of the wing spar which was easier, but completely ruined the scale lines of the wing root. Even where they are now I had to compromise the the thickness of the wing root to shoe horn those in there.

Unfortunately, moving the EDF's forward would just move them into a thinner part of the wing.

I really should have scaled the entire airframe up a little bit. It would have made everything a little easier I think. I still may do just that at some point.

This has been a challenge to say the least, but I have learned more about foamboard building on this build than all of my other builds combined.(y)

Edit: Inadequate typing skills.

Last edited: