FTFC'18 WWII Focke-Wulf FW-42

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
. Will be hard to tell for certain when the two arts of the build are 800+ miles apart during the design process.

You'll be great. My tentacles are stretching out thousands of miles. We only have to do better than the International Space Station and I'll be happy. :eek: :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ok, Plans v1 take 2 sent off for the Team RockyBoy testers to shred and mangle - and special for Psyborg, it has a rudder this time :black_eyed:

FW-42_2017-08-08 v1.PNG

Once we have something that flies and we know where the CG goes, I think we'll be happy to share a draft version plans for the community. Just give us a little time to kick it around first. :)

And if anyone wants to join in on the alpha testing, just drop us a line - new team members welcome, all we ask is a willingness to build untested foam aircraft and provide constructive feedback :cool:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Oooh, very intriguing!

I think we should have a little history with interesting facts about each of these that could be shared during Q & A with interested folks. If this goes well we might be able to pull off a sort of flight parade. What do you think?

I'll be watching this one.

Somehow I blipped past this comment earlier - I LOVE learning the weird little history bits about the designs and the idea of an orchestrated parade event at any Flite Fest people can make it to. I'm also hoping we can get the AircPirates and other card playing folks to hack up some playing cards for the entries that make it to the finish line. I have my Caudron one sitting on my desk, and it's pretty darned awesome :applause:

It would also be really awesome if someone with some good video chops would be able to edit a bunch of the maiden flight videos together at the end of the challenge too - sort of a restrospective & celebration of everyone's accomplishments...

Yeah, lots of fun cool things to organize with this...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok Igoo57 and I started our build for the test FW- 42 last evening. This is Toms first build so he is going to do most or all of the first version so he gets to learn basic methods as he is designing his own plane for this as well as helping on the FW-42. Things are going to be a tad slower with ours as he has a job and family life to contend with and he is the one who has to travel to come to me to do this build but I am sure we will at least get to the glide testing before the week ends.

I will be getting more parts in for the video systems today so I will start working on getting that wired up for the main build. I also will build the Billy Bomb V2 this week and update that build thread as I do.

So without further yakking from me here is Tom's first wing..

We weighed it to get a good idea of over all weight just to document each section too.

Toms Wing weight.jpg

And here is the full view messy build table and all.

Toms first wing 2.jpg

jpot1

Elite member
Alpha build of the FW-42 completed. Plans were shrunk down so that the fuse could fit on a single sheet of DTFB. As well, I only have 1 suitable motor so turned this in to a pusher. Flew great! Next step, functioning canard.

D76DC2B6-A731-4AFB-9ED8-1983D257DD6B.JPG

Video of a portion of the maiden@ http://youtu.be/4OcbtE5qLMc

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice job Jpot. The build looks nice and it flew well. Rockboy will be very happy to see this. We should be making progress on our first build by the weekend too. I have most of the parts to start the FPV stuff but I want to finalize the bomb and the dropping mechanism before I dive into electronics. Igoo57 will focus mainly on the build since this is his first.

Did you by chance glide test the bare foam build? I would like your CG measurements if you did so we have a general idea where we should be for our build.? Also an AUW would be nice too.

jpot1

Elite member
Nice job Jpot. The build looks nice and it flew well. Rockboy will be very happy to see this. We should be making progress on our first build by the weekend too. I have most of the parts to start the FPV stuff but I want to finalize the bomb and the dropping mechanism before I dive into electronics. Igoo57 will focus mainly on the build since this is his first.

Did you by chance glide test the bare foam build? I would like your CG measurements if you did so we have a general idea where we should be for our build.? Also an AUW would be nice too.

I am at 400g without the battery. This includes a 50g Turnigy 2826/6 2200kv motor. For CG I am 14.5" back from where the front of the canard goes through the fuse. This puts the CG in front of the wing which makes balancing a challenge. It was hard to tell if I was nose vs. tail heavy as the weight of the motor was all the way back vs. the weight of the battery up front. No matter what if you tilt a little in one direction it tips. Ultimately I used the side of my finger across the bottom of the fuse, tried to hold it level and let go. Two out of three tries it dipped forward so I called it good enough. :)

Not sure if there is a better way?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would probably use one of the 10 mm carbon tubes I have on a table rather then my finger on shaky hands. But at least that gets me an idea where things should be. We are going to use the dual motors set up with the pods on the wings for ours so more then likely our cog will be slightly different.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am at 400g without the battery. This includes a 50g Turnigy 2826/6 2200kv motor. For CG I am 14.5" back from where the front of the canard goes through the fuse. This puts the CG in front of the wing which makes balancing a challenge. It was hard to tell if I was nose vs. tail heavy as the weight of the motor was all the way back vs. the weight of the battery up front. No matter what if you tilt a little in one direction it tips. Ultimately I used the side of my finger across the bottom of the fuse, tried to hold it level and let go. Two out of three tries it dipped forward so I called it good enough. :)

Not sure if there is a better way?

Good starting point for working out where the CG range will be is to use the calculator found at http://rcplanes.000webhostapp.com/cg_canard.htm

As for fitting the motors on pods I suspect that the motors will be very close to the CG point so a little larger battery might balance the whole thing quite nicely!

Just a few thoughts!

Have fun!

Namactual

Elite member
That is looking good! And it looks like it flies as good as it looks. I can't wait to see the actual twin in flight.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome guys!! :applause:

So happy to see it flying! It's great to know it can function as a pusher for anyone wanting to go in that direction - I think Hai-Lee is calling the shot correctly about the dual motors being close to CG changing things around a good bit. We might even find the battery location in that configuration needs to be in the cockpit area instead of up front, but that's what testing is for, right? :p

Now that I'm back from vacation I'll be able to get back into this project with everyone. Well, this and the other 3 projects I'm juggling at once :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
WB Boss. How was the vacation?

Having the battery in the little one sitting in the cock pit will be ok. Not so much for the big one though. That would seriously effect the pilot / Bombardier fpv plans we have.. Of course that would also push the bomb bay further back then I had thought and would probably sit under the wing area as well so still could be functional. May have to stand the batteries vertical but that will be worked out in time.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Vacation was great! Had a wonderful time travelling with the family and we all made it home safely. Still dealing with the jet lag, but eventually I'll be able to stay up later than 10pm local time :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Plans v2 sent for beta testing to Team Rockyboy members. After the success with the pusher mod of the v1 plan by jpot1, I'm optomistic this plan set will be pretty close to a usable release once we get a couple built and make sure I didn't hash up anything.

Overview.PNG

Once set this is proven out, the next couple high level items for the team are:

- Release Mini FW-42 Plans
- Create Decal Set
- Document Build Instructions
- Build massive FW-42 w/ bomb drops, moveable turrets, etc.

:cool:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Thank you for the working screen capture BTW. I always kinda wonder what other's work-in-progress CAD shot look like.

This is looking good! keep it up.
This Challenge is really pretty cool.