FTFC'18 WWII Focke-Wulf FW-42

HilldaFlyer

So my initial question to all is would it be less confusing to break out the Monster FW-42 build into it's own build thread? Or should we keep that discussion in here with the rest of the Mini FW-42 plans, decals, build instructions, and community support - and hopefully community mods - to come?

Thanks!

From my experience with the Crosby CR-4, I had a 1/4 and 1/6 scale on the same thread and it got confusing - especially if techniques used between the two are not identical. My vote, if it counts for anything, would be to start a new thread like "SuperSized" or "Giant Scale" or "Monster Build" or "250%".

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
And here's Team RockyBoy's prototype 4 (thank you to Psyborg and jpot1 for building the others :) )

20171011_100735_HDR-800x450.jpg

Going for twin power pack F compatible motors, and a movable control surface on the canard instead of a fully movable canard on this one.

Maiden as soon as I get to the field when it's not raining... fingers crossed for this weekend!

You can also see the poor Caudron C.460 with smashed nose in the background of this photo. Repairs to that are about 3 down on the project list, but she will fly again!

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Is that the full size one Rockboy? If so could you get me some final width and height measurements for the nose and tail? I updated some info on the team build in Asana. Probably would be a good idea to touch base on the phone so we can catch up with things and toss some ideas around. I am just finishing editing two videos I did today for Taz and will be up loading them. If and when you get a free moment give me a call or post back here and give me a good time to call you so it will be a touch cheaper that way.

I do not want to take credit for things I did not do so ALL the mini building and progress is due to Rockboy and JPot1 for that. All that was managed here was to get a main wing together before life smacked both Tom and I in the face for a bit here. I'm working back into the FPV and bomb stuff again now but highly doubt an air frame build will be completed in the teams time line from our side. Best to make progress on the stuff for the big boy at this point.

jpot1

Elite member
Rockyboy - good luck with the maiden. I’m still trying to fix my canard up to give it another try. Hopefully this weekend as well. Taken me longer as I got a bit sidetracked with DamoRC’s design for the WWII competition. :D

F9705BE5-7260-4A3E-90C8-7B7C004DFFFF.jpeg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Is that the full size one Rockboy?

Sadly no - my hobby time has slowed quite a bit in the last month, but I do intend to get the big one started in the last week of October after the RC club auction clears some space in my workshop :)

I do not want to take credit for things I did not do so ALL the mini building and progress is due to Rockboy and JPot1 for that. All that was managed here was to get a main wing together before life smacked both Tom and I in the face for a bit here. I'm working back into the FPV and bomb stuff again now but highly doubt an air frame build will be completed in the teams time line from our side. Best to make progress on the stuff for the big boy at this point.

And in working out the main wing you identified a plans problem that needed fixing - it's all good and helpful brother! :cool:

Rockyboy - good luck with the maiden. I’m still trying to fix my canard up to give it another try. Hopefully this weekend as well. Taken me longer as I got a bit sidetracked with DamoRC’s design for the WWII competition. :D

I LOVE that people are working on so many different designs and teams! :applause: And I'm not worried at all about meeting the deadline with the FW-42 mini plans - ya'll have helped get it a long way towards the goal line already, and the end is in sight. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
We have flight!! :applause:

And she's a sweet heart too - very stable and easy flier, just like I was hoping for!

3s1800 battery, a pair of 2206 2000kv motors w/ 20 amp esc and 6030 props

I had very low throws and coupling between the elevator and the canard control surface - worked perfect out of the gate!

Was already overdue to get home when I did this flight, so I didn't get a chance to go back up and test out higher throws and aerobatic abilities this trip. I'll get to that next time :)

So with this success in the bag I think we are ready to make the final updates to the plans from jpot1's and my build notes, and get a set of decals worked up too.

In the home stretch for the Mighty Mini FW-42!

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Congratulations!

Not to push you along, I of all people, but the dude on the nose will be a detail I am looking forward to for sure.

Well done Rocky!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks Jim!

I've got an idea for super simple and fun turret gunners on this mini sized one. The monster FW-42 is going to have some special turret magic going on by Psyborg :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow Rockboy that flew like you knew what you was doin. How'd that happen on a maiden? I did not even hear one gasp in the camera audio. Even the guy filming for you was all quiet like a golf tournament. :p Nice work. :applause: I think the big beastie will be like riding on a cloud as docile as the little one just flew.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys! Yeah, that was about the smoothest maiden flight I've ever had. It's almost like I learned something in the last couple years :p

I do hope the big one behaves the same - now we know exactly where to put the CG, and a good dihedral to use, and a good idea on the airfoils too so I think chances of a nice boring flight are going up.

For an exciting maiden, just wait till I get the video for the Balsa Cuda posted. I should have worn my brown pants for that one. :black_eyed:

jpot1

Elite member
Great flight! Flew right out of your hand. I got rained out this weekend but can hopefully get out next weekend to re-maiden. What did you end up with for CG?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'll measure and post it tomorrow - I did some glide testing before the maiden flight and came to a final CG point about 2/3 of the way forward in the range marked on the plans - but I'll get an exact measurement from what I wrote on the side of the plane :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Got one of the MG 17's looking close so far. Just need to make up some wire sights and mount it to the FPV camera where hopefully the shorter focal length will make it look even more real and scale.

MG-17-1.jpg

MG-17-2.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That looks awesome!! :applause:

And it only took two band aids so far - I'm OK with that. Of course it's not my fingers so that's an easy call for me to make :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks! It really was one of the smoothest maiden flights I've ever had :)

I hope to get back out to the field with it this weekend to do some more shake down runs - higher rates, try some basic aerobatics, etc, and see how she behaves. But my main design goal was something that flew as easy as a trainer, and I think it's pretty darn close!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
That maiden looked great! Any chance you'll have it at FF South? I'd love to fly formation with it!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sadly after some tough family budget conversations we cut our planned Orlando area trip this fall so I won't be attending FF South. :(

But I'll have updated plans posted tonight or tomorrow so maybe someone else can build one for FF South! :)