FTFC'18 WWII Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket, by Grifflyer and JimCR120

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
ready for the maiden,
as of now all I have are two 3s 800mah to power it and it's really heavy I'm probably going to either lighten it and use two 2s 500 (I already have one) or two 3s 450mah (I would have to get two)

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Great build. Captures the essence of the original well. Good luck with the maiden!

DamoRC

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I'd say great job partner but you've been carrying this project on your own and running with it. Well done!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nicely done mate. :applause: Seems my worries over the roll rate with the batteries out under the motors was not warranted after all. Really good maiden. Hopefully the plans part of the competition come as easy for you as the design process.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
thanks everyone I just ordered two 3s 450mah 45C so it will be lighter and have more power, also do you think I should relocate the where you put the batteries to the top of the cowlings.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
That looked great. Job well Done. Thank you for including the first Maiden Launch. It's nice to be reminded I'm not alone, and glad your recovered well. This looked like a great time to fly.

Namactual

Elite member
Great job!

It looks like a great flyer. I think the battery location is fine as is, but nothing wrong with experimentation either.

It's up to you brother. Keep up the good work.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Okay I'm starting work on V1.2 with a few changes including the posterboard (it was a bit small), have it so you install the batteries on top of the cowling so it would be easier to add landing gear, and strengthen the bottom of the cowlings (shown below)
c.jpg

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Ok so I suppose I'll share my humble progress. Today I built the 2nd mock up of this just to get some idea of what I'm headed for in the target size (~42" I think). I was hoping to gain some insight without going all out in the build.
Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 1.44.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 1.44.34 AM.png
Here I have the 1st & 2nd mock builds. No earthshattering discoveries. I did confirm what I suspected that the larger I build the farther forward the CG shifts due to the building materials and added structure. I'm thinking C-Pack motors will help with that as well. I think I'll be ordering them next Friday.

I have 2 months of geo-bach'ing with my better half in Spain so it's a good time to make progress.

Last edited: