FTFC'18 WWII J7W1 designed by ItMightFly

ItMightFly

I found this competition very neat, and wanted to build something. I found the J7W1 very interesting, and thought it would be fun to build! I also thought it would be fun to build it with my Dad, so he will be helping with the build as well.
photo-2-e1389494562988.jpg

So far we have drew plans on graph paper, and have built the wing. Progress will continue when we get more hot glue.
IMG_1356[1].JPG
IMG_1357[1].JPG
IMG_1359[1].JPG
Here is the Wiki post https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyushu_J7W
If all goes well, there is a chance of building a J7W2, the jet version of the J7W1, only made it on paper.

Last edited:

ItMightFly

We are going to have to be "off scale" by a little bit. To keep it simple, we thought it would be easier not to have wheels... take a look at this:
shinden landing.png
So unfortunately we will be cutting the bottom half of the stab off.

Last edited:

ItMightFly

Wings are built! Simply made the wings, glued them, with a 5in wooden spar in between.
IMG_1361[1].JPG
Before building, I decided to make a micro version of the J7W1, I may build it again to make a J7W2, a jet powered version.
IMG_1355[1].JPG

Last edited:

MrFowl

I always liked this plane. Would love to build this one if you come up with some plans.

HilldaFlyer

I'll by spying on this for any secret information. Very similar to XP-55 Ascender. You've made great progress... keep it up.

ItMightFly

Added pics of wing! Btw, any help for making plans would be nice, otherwise we can try and figure it out. We just are not experienced in the CAD world. Thanks for enjoying the build so far! Hope to see what you all think of it. ;)

Liam B

Looking good! Was really considering doing this, but am way too occupied with other projects. Good luck and I'll be watching!

ItMightFly

Hello! Today I have put together some plans, using my slight skill in Blender. These plans are not to scale(yet), and have yet to be tested. I thought I would share them. For one, the thread has been quite, and I needed to show that I am working on the Shinden. Two I thought if there are any tips hanging, this would be the way to get em'.
J7W1 Fuse1.png

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

I just started using Blender a few weeks ago. Steep learning curve, but I think it will be very helpful to do stuff like this. Right now I'm cutting, fitting, recutting, refitting, repeating... this is for the birds. Insilico would help cut the waste.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Wow. Nice work in blender. I too have tried to use it but find it really confusing. Too entrenched in Sketchup I guess.

Looks like you weren't using a three view or any visual guide?

What software did you use to capture the work? I'd love to try this video approach with sketchup.

DamoRC

ItMightFly

Wow. Nice work in blender. I too have tried to use it but find it really confusing. Too entrenched in Sketchup I guess.

Looks like you weren't using a three view or any visual guide?

What software did you use to capture the work? I'd love to try this video approach with sketchup.

DamoRC

Thanks man! I just had a lot of practice I guess. I found Sketchup confusing, so I use blender.

I didn't use one, just because that was for fun. I will be doing one with the 3 view soon.

I use simple screen recorder, an open source screen recorder. I'm not sure, but I think you can only get it on Linux OS. Simple screen doesn't record time lapse, I just sped up the video on my Windows computer, using Windows Movie Maker.

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
Very cool time laps vid. If you need some pointers on getting the proper scale out of UV's let me know. You will need photoshop or gimp and it's kind of a pain, but it can be done. I have never tried exporting UV's with Blender, but I am sure there is a way to keep things scale.

Although I am not a fan of the user interface, Blender is VERY powerful and you can not beat it for the price.

@Damo:
I am not sure what kind of computer you have, but if you have an nVidia GPU there are a few good free options for screen capture/recording. Ideally you would want a secondary HDD to dump the raw video to while you work though. The files get large in a hurry and can bog down a single HDD. A USB 3.0 or eSATA external would work as well.

ItMightFly

How's it going on this one?

Well, we are starting to finish our basement, so this project was put off. Hopefully we can finish the hobby room quickly, so we can move back in. We drew out the fuselage, and will be cutting it out when we finish the hobby room. Thanks for asking! Hopefully we get back up and rolling soon.

Come to think of it, I have not flown anything for the past month or so :eek: ! I am getting very anxious.