FTFC'18 WWII McDonnell XF-85 Goblin designed by MrFowl (Eli)

MrFowl

Any more progress towards turning her into foam? :)

I made a quick paper/tape model from a regular sheet of letter paper ...and I found an EDF for about $30 that hopefully wont grenade the plane once I finish it ;)

I've had some stuff come up, but after I get the v1 plans together (and buy more hot glue), I should have a prototype. I'm shooting for this week fingers crossed

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome! If that EDF works please share some linkage - that seems pretty darn reasonable price wise :)

MrFowl

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Looks great! What wingspan are you looking at? I ask since we're talking about putting this on the Daimler Benz carrier ship and it'll need to be no more than 7" from the latch point to the belly of the aircraft if we want to be able to take off from the ground with it. You can probably have the tail stick up a little higher. I can accommodate up to a 22.5" wing span in that configuration.

MrFowl

Looks great! What wingspan are you looking at? I ask since we're talking about putting this on the Daimler Benz carrier ship and it'll need to be no more than 7" from the latch point to the belly of the aircraft if we want to be able to take off from the ground with it. You can probably have the tail stick up a little higher. I can accommodate up to a 22.5" wing span in that configuration.

Good to know! I was thinking of doing a 40" scale version and a smaller 15-20" profile version. The profile one would work under your plane, but I want to do a larger one so I can get some of the scale down while keeping a lower wing loading.

The profile version will most likely end up with a prop.. unless I go super small (10" wingspan) with a 28mm edf.

MrFowl

UPDATE!!! :applause:

I just updated post #3 with version 1 plans. These plans are for about a 24" wingspan (I honestly don't know ...haha never measured the model :rolleyes:)

I'll update again once I have a plane made in the real world! I will almost certainly need to re-size most of the plane to get everything to fit and look nice ..but you gotta start somewhere I guess.

Bonus screen shot of the plans ;)
plan2.JPG
plan1.JPG

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow thats some serious origami. You guys better have some serious Foam Foo on this build. Lotta sexy curves to work out.

Nice looking start. Will be interesting to see how this all folds up. If you can get some video of each gluing after the initial bending and shaping so we can see how it works out that would be greatly appreciated.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I'm looking forward to seeing how this folds up as well. Should be really neat when it's finished.

MrFowl

I have a confession to make...

I got distracted last week and this happened instead.

20171023_223232.jpg

[DEL]P.S. Those nasty stains are from foam safe CA kicker ...I learned that kicker goes right through the waterproof FB[/DEL] :mad: On the plus side, that means CA does too. Time will tell if this decreased the water resistance.

(10/25/2017)
P.P.S. Those nasty stains are now GONE! ...took almost two days to dry and left the foam board looking good as new (still not sure if it affected the lamination though). The CA did really stiffen up those vortex generators though.

20171024_173337.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hmm.... a few more well placed squirts of kicker and I think you'll have a desert camouflage scheme going there :p

MrFowl

Those CA stains disappeared last night! ...took almost two days for the kicker to dry. Still not sure if it affected the lamination though, I have a feeling it did.