FTFC'18 WWII Miles M.22

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I'm pretty sure that everyone in this hobby definitely crashes way faster than they can build lol

Airkooled

Well, fellas. My knowledge base on sketchup is very slim and it's causing me more heartache than good. Perhaps I can hand draw some and scan them in? This truly isn't worth the frustration!

MrFowl

Well, fellas. My knowledge base on sketchup is very slim and it's causing me more heartache than good. Perhaps I can hand draw some and scan them in? This truly isn't worth the frustration!

Yep... CAD software is like that. Hand drawn plans are no problem. I'll see if I can clean them up, but the plans might be a little rough.

Airkooled

Yep... CAD software is like that. Hand drawn plans are no problem. I'll see if I can clean them up, but the plans might be a little rough.

Thank you so much for the help! And I'm glad I am not alone in the frustration. I took drafting in college as well as sheet metal fabrication for aircraft so im pretty handy with a ruler and pencil haha. The wing and tail I can make without much trouble, however, the fuse and nacelles will be a little more challenging! I will print the three views I have, draw formers, build a fuse and nacelle and send the plans to you for beta/cad love

Airkooled

Look at us! We have a plan! Woohoo! :applause:

Pretty stoked to see this thing in real life!
Wooo! Teamwork makes the dream work! I'm pumped! I'll have pencil to paper Sunday. The flugtag is in town Saturday so I'll be in on that most of the day!

After some research last night though, I believe the ft spitfire has almost what we need for a wing! Any input on using their design to build from win wise?

MrFowl

I don't see why not! Using something that's proven is always a safe bet. Maybe some minor changes to the shape, but that couldn't be too hard

Airkooled

Finally! Some progress. Since it was killing me not to build something I printed the (awful) three view I had to the correct scale and started forming.

I have the 1/2 of the fuse and nacelles built out of blue foam! My next step is to cut them up and make formers for dtfb! Here are a few progress pics of the journey. You’ll notice the nacelle is kinda odd looking. I used wbpu and some news paper to create a hard shell purely to see if I could do it.

I’ll be doing what mr fowl suggested and making the proper wing based from the ft spit to begin the build in the lovely ft fashion!

Attachments

• IMG_1119_zpsuibw0lhr.jpg
    IMG_1119_zpsuibw0lhr.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
No restrictions on teaming up - join as many teams as will have you and make as many entries into the contest as you'd like (it would be fun to try to catch up with FoamyDM - I think he's up to 3 entries so far :) )

If I get my birds in the air, I've got a couple more lined up to try. (something a little more traditional - for the Aussies & Kiwis me thinks.) The design and build go quick. It's the details that snag me. (like Diff thrust :/ )

Check out the new Team ALLIED FORCES thread. We'll talk camo, logos, icons, squadrons, attack formations, and event ideas!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
If you need help setting up diff thrust on a spektrum I could definitely help. I currently have it set up on my guinea pig and could show you the mixes for it all.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I have an AT-10. (have the price and just as much function) However, very small community and NOT supported on the communities too well. :( I love it, just can't seem to use it for Liftoff.

I decided to followed the FT video (forgot to NOT plug in Ch3). Sadly, the motor stopped working right for some reason. :confused: must be the plugging and unplugging. Once I'm good, this is going for a Maiden. I'll work some more tonight.

Airkooled

I have had little progress other than drawing up formers! I have photographed the process but for some reason am unable to load them. I will try to get further along this week! Work has been a mess lately, I’m the only mechanic and with the new basic med being in effect has brought a ton more business than usual!

Spacewalker

I'm with Rocky : )

AK, where's dah pics, Lol?!;)

I'm doing a g-38 (needing to post pics as well) am pretty sure we'll have some similarities in sorting out cg etc,… (so,…. although mine is twin boom), control surfaces are very similar with large forward-flying-wing-having-nacelles, etc,…

Cool plane brother!

Spacewalker pic.png :black_eyed:

Airkooled

Maybe it’s my file format on my pictures? I have posted a few on the forums with success and some not so much. It just fails to upload them! Annoying to say the least.

I gave the g38 some consideration! Even played with some heat and wiffle bats for booms! I believe we’re in the same boat as well. I also over complicated this whole project from the start. I may make a test bed with much less detail in order to see how much of a hassle it is to make her fly in this scale. The nacelles are like 60% of the fuse length and protrude wayyy on out past the LE.

I think my new plan of action is to make a sort of box profile version to test with!

I do have some electronics for this bird finally. Two cf2822 1200kv emax motors with 30amp esc and I would like to use a 2200mah 3s but I don’t think I’ll have the room so probably a 1300mah will be better suited. I think these motors will be more than enough as I was getting 810 grams of thrust from them with a 10x5 apc prop!

Airkooled

98F47DB7-1958-439A-B6CC-71210797597D.jpeg here is the only picture it will let me upload for some silly reason.

These are the fuselage formers I’ve drawn up. I started by taking the scaled three view, making a foam plug, then cutting in all the major changes in proportion. After making the cuts in the foam I then used them as a template to make the formers! Sounds like the hard way to do something easy but I like building! I have the fuse and nacelle formers done.

I tried making a keel for the electronics and formers to sit on and attempted to sheet over that. Attempted being the key word. It was a mess, I’m not great at forming the foam then getting it all to line up and look pretty.