FTFC'18 WWII Vought XF5U "Flying Flapjack" designed by SP0NZ & LocalFiend

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
ok thank you. i usually just guess lol.
this may end up being an ongoing build for a few months. what is the usual time it takes to build from scratch?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
ok thank you. i usually just guess lol.
this may end up being an ongoing build for a few months. what is the usual time it takes to build from scratch?

Well, I'm the only one I know of who has built one so far, so my times might not count. If you're decently fast with a #11 exacto I think you could probably cut out all the parts in an evening, maybe two if you're slower. Some pieces are complex, but the bulk of the parts are pretty large with more sweeping curves. You can probably get away without making any lightening cuts in the spars.

To build, it takes me a couple evenings for this plane, whereas most other FT style planes only take me one.

So probably a week of working in the evenings if you decide to take your time.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Well, I'm the only one I know of who has built one so far, so my times might not count. If you're decently fast with a #11 exacto I think you could probably cut out all the parts in an evening, maybe two if you're slower. Some pieces are complex, but the bulk of the parts are pretty large with more sweeping curves. You can probably get away without making any lightening cuts in the spars.

To build, it takes me a couple evenings for this plane, whereas most other FT style planes only take me one.

So probably a week of working in the evenings if you decide to take your time.

nice. not as bad as i thought.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Mmmm - Complex

That sounds about right... It took about the same for my recently finished and maidened X-29
attachment.php

I do have this beautiful plane on my list for the Build-ruary challenge.
I plan to start on this at the end of this weekend.

attachment.php

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Sounds like a great plane to test out my new hot knife on... I might have to build this for FFOhio

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Don’t worry Daniel, I’ll make one just for you... also I get the same way localfiend when people build my designs.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Cool. I'm excited to see other people build this plane.

I absolutely love your design localfiend, it looks amazing! I've printed out the plans and started cutting! Your build log is fantastic but I might still have to ask some questions. 3D parts have been printed!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
So far, I'm here.

1 Cut - 3hrs.JPG
4 Some Assembly Reqd.JPG
8 Making Slow Progress - Tape first.JPG
9 Getting more peices ready.JPG

Picked up a couple paint stirrers.. and I'm hoping to make serious progress tonight... After D&D :(. So I'm doubtful to finish.

If feels as if a lot of the tedious work is out of the way...(I hope.) I did notice a number of fiddly bits (trim-and-fit work) to do.

MY hope for tonight - 4 Servos centered and ready. Skinned body. Motors mounted and electronics laid in and tested.
If I can do that I have a chance... if not. Tonight my look more like a Black Widow!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Sweet man, that's looking awesome. Not gonna have orientation issues with that color scheme for sure. What're you doing for the power system?

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
alright! just as advised, i have started my process of building this plane today, 3/3/2018. build thread here. i will have pictures throughout as well as a timelapse at the end.

wow that is some stack of paper!! :eek::eek:;)
my father was very concerned.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Dunno if this link will work or not, you probably have to have a facebook account, but Jarrod on the Flite Test Fans page finished and flew one of these successfully.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FlitetestFans/permalink/2104005566484646

Anybody else finish theirs?

Also, I'm finally trying my hand at a fiberglass covered plane, and am making two of these at once.

iV37TsI.jpg

It's a bit different paper off, but not too bad. In some ways fitup is easier, and others it's harder. I've discovered it's far easier to pre-bend the foam parts, and even install some of them with the paper on. They're much stronger than way, and you can get the fit you want, them remove the paper.

Currently playing around with hobbylite filler. When I get all the seams sealed up, and any dents or dings filled in I'll be using 3/4oz fiberglass sheets and water based polyurethane to cover the entire plane.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Cool, I wonder how much weight the FB will add?

That looks really nice, I hope it flies well!

Thanks guys, it will be an interesting learning experience. I should do better with the second one which i'm going to start tonight. Had a few low spots that needed to be filled in because I'm not used to lining up foam pieces when they're so fragile without paper. I think for the other, I may attach the skin pieces with the paper on, then peel it off after.

I also think that I'm going to need to add servos and ESC's now and skin the bottom completely as well. I think that will help me get smoother transitions and hopefully less sanding after the fiberglass is down.

Hopefully the fiberglass won't add too much weight, but if it does, that's really not a problem. This thing could really use some more weight for better wind penetration. The wing loading is super low and it can get knocked around a bit by wind.