FTFC'18 WWII Vought XF5U "Flying Flapjack" designed by SP0NZ & LocalFiend

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Localfiend that is gonna be spectacular. What paint scheme are you leaning towards?
I have two C-pack motors, and 2 B-pack motors (currently in PODs). I plan to attach the C-pack ones, 30A escs (el cheapo) until I build My SeaDuck...

I'm about to hit the un-pause button on this. I made myself very busy as of late and this past month I think I passed the threshold. :confused: It's OK. I have two months to finish things for FFOhio :)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Localfiend that is gonna be spectacular. What paint scheme are you leaning towards?
I have two C-pack motors, and 2 B-pack motors (currently in PODs). I plan to attach the C-pack ones, 30A escs (el cheapo) until I build My SeaDuck...

I'm about to hit the un-pause button on this. I made myself very busy as of late and this past month I think I passed the threshold. :confused: It's OK. I have two months to finish things for FFOhio :)

C-Pack and 30a ESC will work perfectly. That's what I've put in mine so far.

As for color, the original was painted in the standard navy blue color like most of the corsairs. I think it was akimboglueguns who mentioned to me a while back that some checkerboard patterns like on some early corsairs could be cool, and I agree. I've got two to build and paint for flitefest, and one is going to Sponz. I'll have to check with him and see what paint scheme he's wanting, or if he wants to tackle the painting himself.

CAF-Corsair-on-Final-Approach.jpg

matjey

This is nice. Was thinking about the same model to get me started on my type of 'MJ' design collection.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I am planning my build and had a few questions,

Do you have any photos and/or advice on the installation of the landing gear? Fixed and or retracts? I would assume they would be placed on the CG.

Same question on the bomb drops? I should be incorporating Josh Orchards 3D printed versions as he is graciously sending me a set. (Thanks again Josh!)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I am planning my build and had a few questions,

Do you have any photos and/or advice on the installation of the landing gear? Fixed and or retracts? I would assume they would be placed on the CG.

Same question on the bomb drops? I should be incorporating Josh Orchards 3D printed versions as he is graciously sending me a set. (Thanks again Josh!)

I have been putting the landing gear mounts forward of the CG directly above the forwardmost spar.

Here's a cool pic of a kittyhawk plastic model someone painted up for ideas.

received_502081923526949.jpeg

If the bombs you get are heavyish, on the CG would probably be best, so a bit further forward than shown.

I may attempt retracts on the two I'm building now. Something to keep in mind though is that the original retracts were telescoping, so unless you can find a light enough set to do that, you'll have to make them longer.

I think though, that as long as you have enough room to clear the props, it should take off fine. This plane doesn't really need a takeoff run. :D

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
At first I thought, that pic was FB and I was in awe/soiling myself, then I read the text and phew! It's funny because what got me was the piece transition smoothness, panel lines, and the rivets, not the masterful paint job gear bay detailing and bomb drops. Checkered strips would be stellar in the right application. All those tiny squares intimidate me. :LOL:

Silvering the bottom wouldn't be a bad idea, so long as it isn't overcast. I imagine it might be hard to track then. Thanks for the pics and ideas.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I wish that was foamboard. :D I'm hoping my fiberglass versions will come out in similar fashion. Might even make it all silver, I really like the prototype look with bare aluminum and black anti-glare accents.

Don't know that I'll go so crazy with rivets and panel though. We'll have to see how difficult that is to do.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I haven't gotten much done on this until this evening. Couldn't find any more new 9g servos, and ended up ordering some. Then I found a bag late last night and could continue. :rolleyes:

So, all the electronics are installed, and I've got the majority of the bottom skin on now. Currently working on the wingtips, and the only real departure from the plans so far.

The tips are just laminated foam profiles. Used water based polyurethane on some of the layers, and 3M77 on some just to see how it would work. They seem to be of similar strength, and I can't tell a difference in ease of sanding, so I'll probably be using 3m77 for now on just cause it's faster.

Once I get those sanded down to a shape I like, I'll be adding the last two bottom skin pieces. Then I plan to add the final bits of filler follower by progressively getting the surface down to a 400 grit finish.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Beautiful work! When you posted your earlier versions THIS is exactly what I had in mind. Glass it and detail it and it would still have a ridiculously low wing loading. Really wish I had more time at the moment because I would have LOVED to enter this model into our clubs annual build/display contest.

Keep up the great work!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Beautiful work! When you posted your earlier versions THIS is exactly what I had in mind. Glass it and detail it and it would still have a ridiculously low wing loading. Really wish I had more time at the moment because I would have LOVED to enter this model into our clubs annual build/display contest.

Keep up the great work!

That's what I'm thinking, this plane could use a little more weight for wind penetration, so glass is a good fit.

Yeah I went with the Corsair blue for mine.

Sweet dude. I like the blue look. Still going back and forth on paint schemes. You try and fly it yet?

I'm still plugging away on the glassed version. Been experimenting with filler, and am hoping I don't add too much weight. The low spots where dollar tree foam sags between ribs has been driving me nuts. You can only sand out so much of it out, so I'm putting on some really thin skim coats to fill the low spots. I'll have to weigh it after this last round.

It seemed to work ok on the bottom, so I've done the same to the top.

Hopefully I'll get all the filler and sanding work done this afternoon and can start trying to apply some fiberglass this evening.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I was going through some old footage on my camera and realized I had video of this one flying at Flite Fest. She looked (and still looks) great in the air!

Thanks man! I'm really glad somebody got video. I was lax in my responsibilities there.

This reminds me, I should post the STL's for the landing gear. They shouldn't break if you use more than 2 perimeters and 6% infill... Used the tire settings. Oops.