FTFC'18 WWII Vought XF5U "Flying Flapjack" designed by SP0NZ & LocalFiend

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I live down in Oregon but am going up to the Huck fest next week. How much would it cost? I only have cut out Spar C

Just the cost of the foamboard would be fine, so like 15 bucks. I only cut the brown stuff when I have a choice. Alternatively, if you have 6 pieces of water resistant foamboard, we can just trade.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
SO will you be offering a kit?

Don't know that I could do it for a price anyone would want to pay. Shipping would require a different cutting format to have it fit in a box that wouldn't be super expensive to ship (and even then it wouldn't be cheap). That cutting format would probably have to have the parts fit onto more than 6 sheets of foamboard, which also isn't cheap to have shipped to me.

FeWolf

Reason I asked was, since you are going with fiberglass, a shell can be made from them, therefore offer a shell version of it or even future prospects of a 3D printing version, or a laser cut version like FT store, I am working on a Balsa version of your plans and than Ultra cote them, teaching myself Ultra coating foam planes now. As with your plane I am having issues with the dip, and filling.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Reason I asked was, since you are going with fiberglass, a shell can be made from them, therefore offer a shell version of it or even future prospects of a 3D printing version, or a laser cut version like FT store, I am working on a Balsa version of your plans and than Ultra cote them, teaching myself Ultra coating foam planes now. As with your plane I am having issues with the dip, and filling.

I may eventually offer a fiberglass cnc cut kit. I'm still experimenting, but I'm having good luck coating one side of the foamboard with 1.4oz fiberglass and wbpu and then cnc cutting the parts.

Should save people a lot of time. I just need to get a handle on how much it might cost.

OliverW

Legendary member
I may eventually offer a fiberglass cnc cut kit. I'm still experimenting, but I'm having good luck coating one side of the foamboard with 1.4oz fiberglass and wbpu and then cnc cutting the parts.

Should save people a lot of time. I just need to get a handle on how much it might cost.
Sorry to pollute the thread, which day will you be at the Huck fest?

Jonas Engdahl

Thanks man! I'm really glad somebody got video. I was lax in my responsibilities there.

This reminds me, I should post the STL's for the landing gear. They shouldn't break if you use more than 2 perimeters and 6% infill... Used the tire settings. Oops.

Hello @localfiend !, nice design!
I have built one after your drawings and it flies nice, to make it look more clean it would be interesting to take a look at your landing gear setup.
As is is now I just used some wheels I had laying around to be able to test it.
And yes the holes are there because of a lasercutter misstake😀, I’ll patch them upp late on.
20180915_114623.jpg

Last edited:

Brett_N

Took the plunge and started building one this weekend. Sponz, as always, the plans are fantastic (although, check the vertical tail - the marks make it look like you cut out a movement type tail, but these are fixed? )

Design is definitely beefy, and I didn't cut out any of the internal "lightening" holes - from reading through the posts, it sounds like weight isn't an issue anyway. Need to come back and smooth out some of the tape lines, but end goal is probably going to be a layer of thinned white glue, couple layers of primer, and then the navy blue paint scheme.

Just have to get my POS 3D printer working for the little bits and pieces.

20181014_192245.jpg

Attachments

• 20181014_151725.jpg
    20181014_151725.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181014_192232.jpg
    20181014_192232.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Boberticus

hey, does anybody know the outside diameter of the outer ring of the jet inlet that Dan put up? Ive gotten everything else to print, but for some reason Cura brings in the fan inlet as super tiny, and i cant figure out a way to get he original measurements to scale it up to.

this is a beautiful set of plans by the way, i cant believe how easily the structure is going together. should have one flying in Colorado Springs in the next few weeks.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
hey, does anybody know the outside diameter of the outer ring of the jet inlet that Dan put up? Ive gotten everything else to print, but for some reason Cura brings in the fan inlet as super tiny, and i cant figure out a way to get he original measurements to scale it up to.

this is a beautiful set of plans by the way, i cant believe how easily the structure is going together. should have one flying in Colorado Springs in the next few weeks.

Try this link, I must have left the wrong link in place.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2742235

If that doesn't do it, just up the percentage to 2,540% to account for the inches to mm conversion.

Boberticus

Okkeedokkeee... so i may have taken a bit of liberty when it comes to the power-plants, but was hoping to test fly this monster this afternoon before finishing it up.

Seriously, if this model isn't picked up for the master series, its a travesty, this is an absolutely beautiful model, based on a one of a kind aircraft, that went together perfectly. Localfiend you should be very proud, this is a work of art, thank you so very much.

Ive got two Turnigy D3530\14 1100kv rated to 315 watts apiece, meaning this should be almost 7/8 horsepower... making this the most powerful one built yet(unless somebody's got one that they've just not been sharing with us) I have a couple 1500mah 3s batteries, and seeing as how the battery is right over the CG, a few heavy 3s 5000mah batteries that should give me flight times of 30 mins at 50% throttle. i gave it a quick punch of throttle last night, and at about 75% it"ll climb vertical, at 100% i had trouble holding onto it... I gots me a jen-you-wine space shuttle :)

AS my motors are wider than the motor tubes, i decided to just print the entire motor pod. printed out in PETG, 3 walls 50% infill... and im not too terribly sure this is a good idea. i need to build a ruler one and compare them. its certainly stronger, i would snap a wooden one with the bending force ive put into it, but they've got some twisty flex to them that might need to get designed out. Ill put up the files, but i wanted to cover it with foam, take some measurements, and make a skinned version with some internal improvements before i put it up on the online.

CG is exactly 1/2 inch behind where it should be without a battery, i think i can change the mount a bit to get it to where it is supposed to... how exact of a science is figuring out the CG?, will that be too tail heavy? surly not right? i still need to weigh it fully assembled, not sure what takeoff weight is with the different battery configurations.

i also need to get a amp meter on it, my multi-meter was in my work bags, so ill make sure I'm not pushing the motors too hard with the four props, but all and all everything accounted for, i should be putting a 7/8th horsepower plane up, depending on whether i can hit that with this prop combo...everybody was saying how this model could use some weight, i thought it a waste to not make as much of that extra weight motor :)

i beveled all the control surfaces, and still need to put on the outer skin panel and final edge piece, and the motor pods.
Ive also have a fpv camera setup i want to put in the nosecone/ cockpit, but dont wanna try my luck just yet. ill get it in the air, then worry about the extras.
20190715_085801.jpg
20190715_085818.jpg
20190715_085944_HDR.jpg

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Okkeedokkeee... so i may have taken a bit of liberty when it comes to the power-plants, but was hoping to test fly this monster this afternoon before finishing it up.

Seriously, if this model isn't picked up for the master series, its a travesty, this is an absolutely beautiful model, based on a one of a kind aircraft, that went together perfectly. Localfiend you should be very proud, this is a work of art, thank you so very much.

Ive got two Turnigy D3530\14 1100kv rated to 315 watts apiece, meaning this should be almost 7/8 horsepower... making this the most powerful one built yet(unless somebody's got one that they've just not been sharing with us) I have a couple 1500mah 3s batteries, and seeing as how the battery is right over the CG, a few heavy 3s 5000mah batteries that should give me flight times of 30 mins at 50% throttle. i gave it a quick punch of throttle last night, and at about 75% it"ll climb vertical, at 100% i had trouble holding onto it... I gots me a jen-you-wine space shuttle :)

AS my motors are wider than the motor tubes, i decided to just print the entire motor pod. printed out in PETG, 3 walls 50% infill... and im not too terribly sure this is a good idea. i need to build a ruler one and compare them. its certainly stronger, i would snap a wooden one with the bending force ive put into it, but they've got some twisty flex to them that might need to get designed out. Ill put up the files, but i wanted to cover it with foam, take some measurements, and make a skinned version with some internal improvements before i put it up on the online.

CG is exactly 1/2 inch behind where it should be without a battery, i think i can change the mount a bit to get it to where it is supposed to... how exact of a science is figuring out the CG?, will that be too tail heavy? surly not right? i still need to weigh it fully assembled, not sure what takeoff weight is with the different battery configurations.

i also need to get a amp meter on it, my multi-meter was in my work bags, so ill make sure I'm not pushing the motors too hard with the four props, but all and all everything accounted for, i should be putting a 7/8th horsepower plane up, depending on whether i can hit that with this prop combo...everybody was saying how this model could use some weight, i thought it a waste to not make as much of that extra weight motor :)

i beveled all the control surfaces, and still need to put on the outer skin panel and final edge piece, and the motor pods.
Ive also have a fpv camera setup i want to put in the nosecone/ cockpit, but dont wanna try my luck just yet. ill get it in the air, then worry about the extras.
View attachment 136162 View attachment 136163 View attachment 136161

Sweet dude, that's looking awesome. The stronger motor pods are probably a good idea with all that extra power. I cracked a wooden one doing stupid differential thrust flat spins on one of mine. :D

I'd stick with the called for CG. Any further back, and it'll fly fine until you hit the wrong angle of attack in a bank and then it'll go nuts. :D.

Don't be afraid of a little nose weight. The 3D printed version had a far higher wing loading and stupidly large motors and it still flew. :D. Even with nose weight, you won't come anywhere close to the loading of that thing.