FTFC'18 WWII Vought XF5U "Flying Flapjack" designed by SP0NZ & LocalFiend

Yeah, plenty of big 4 blade props out there, just not many that have counterrotating pairs. Maybe I'll have to combine a couple props. They were kinda offset on the full scale version anyway.

I'm starting another airframe that will
hopefully have the final skins as a double check. The last one was close, but not good enough. Maybe I'll finish the skins on the old one and do some glide tests.

It's even more skeletal, but I think this thing will be stupid strong anyway.

XeqmHnN.jpg

What do y'all use to cut out the ribs and such? Do y'all have your own laser cutter or built a wire cutter? I still cut out by hand all my models so it'd be nice to explore an upgrade for faster building (plans to pieces phase is the WORST).

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Dale built his own CNC machine that can cut foam and a lot of other materials. I, unfortunately, am still cutting by hand.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Had a bit of time to work this evening.

The first two skin row pieces are now perfectly shaped. 3 third row still needs a bit of work, but adjustments for it have already been made in CAD. Should get rid of the little ripples along the top edge. I'm a bit OCD, but the better the parts fit the more wiggle room you have.

Tail is just held on with tape, so it doesn't hug the frame and looks ugly. Just trying to get a feel for what needs tweaking, and where to stick servos. I think this is going to be a pretty lightweight plane.

JGmuCxB.jpg

lU2m44N.jpg

zi5fZcO.jpg

NaI9Dvh.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
A little progress on the air intakes. We plan to do foam and printed versions of the extras, but our sclae model will makes use of some 3D printed parts.

Intakes v1.png

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yes this is one of the "Super" Teams in this years builds. Look for a lot of special things from these guys. :applause:

Nice work on both the 3d stuff and the foam fitting. For some reason every time I see that bare frame work picture I want waffles..

Sir Fly

Yes this is one of the "Super" Teams in this years builds. Look for a lot of special things from these guys. :applause:

Nice work on both the 3d stuff and the foam fitting. For some reason every time I see that bare frame work picture I want waffles..

No, the Flying Waffles are jerks. You need some French Toast Sticks... ;)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Finally got around to doing a test print of the intake.

22311920_1696903033677979_1476756706_o.jpg

22292146_1696903050344644_448742045_o.jpg

This is only the second version. It has not been fitted to the foam model yet. But I'm pretty pleased with the results so far.

HilldaFlyer

Wow - that is great. Test print - my foot! Looks like the final version.
Looks like we're graduating into new FT techniques. Sure... why not, they sell 3D printers now!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I have a severe case of design envy. :eek:

Did you trim post-mold on the skinning, or did you have it good in the design stage... if so HOW?! :applause:

I really need to learn that trick. I feel it would bring my scratch building to the next level.

Beautiful work so far.

BTW - Come over to the Team ALLIED FORCES thread and talk shop camo, logos etc. with other Allied members. (see Sig. for link

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Sorry, got caught up in apple harvest and haven't had any time for fun stuff till this month. Just thought I'd chime in and say this project isn't dead.

Might even get in a test flight this weekend. :D