FTFC19 AH Intruder designed by SP0NZ

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Air Hogs Intruder
1533681740226.png

My Entry for the 2019 Fantasy Aircraft - Flite Test Forums Challenge is the toy RC airplane called the Intruder. The Intruder was developed by Spin Master Toys, and sold under the Air Hogs and E Chargers brands back in 2001. If you have been around the forums and the Flite Test family for a few years, you are probably already familiar with this design. My Son Keegan and I made a pair of giant Intruders with 59 inch wing spans that we brought to Flite Fest 2016. They have been featured in a couple of Flite Test videos and both successfully flew in the Official Guinness World Record RC flight at Flite Fest that year.

1533681569092.png

Photo taken right after the Guinness World Record Flight at Flite Fest 2016​

Source Images for the design concept from the Air Hogs Instruction Sheet:
1533679812062.png

Most of us know that speed does not scale, but Air Hogs rated the scale speed at 400 MPH! for a 1:24 scale model, that equates to an mind blowing 16.66 MPH.

There is enough to go off of with the two included views here to get the basic shape of the design. But, I wanted to take it a step further and found a like-new Intruder still in the original box on ebay.

1533681526396.png

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Design Process
1534389627983.png

I'm going back to the (virtual) drawing board for this version to attempt to capture the original look of the Intruder even more. Taking a closer look at the toy, it definitely has a polyhedral wing. The original prototype I designed had a flat (no dihedral) wing. I will probably test the polyhedral wing and see how it flies. If I don't like it, I will probably ditch the look and continue with the proven flat wing.

1534390137098.png

I also found an Air Hogs Resistor on ebay and bought that one too. Should be arriving tomorrow. The Resistor came out in 2003 and was basically a re-branded Intruder. It came in black/gray and purple/lime green color schemes. I found the black/gray one. I plan to compare the two to see if there are any other differences.

1534390418673.png

Starting the CAD layout and establishing the scale for the model.

1534393526105.png

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
what does an ah intruder look like?

The Giant Air Hogs Intruder that Keegan and I built and flew at Flite Fest 2016. I've been wanting to revisit it and make a version that everyone can build and enjoy. Time to get to work and make that happen.

Check out the Intruder starting at 16:10 in the FF16 recap video...

I will get more images stats, specs, and back story behind the design over the next couple of days.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I got one final flight in with the Red/Yellow Intruder (prototype #3) on Sunday. A couple of the guys I was flying with got some nice air-to-air video of her in the air. Before I retire this airframe I'm going to install a pair of Turnigy NTM PropDrive 3536 1800kv motors and see how much abuse it can handle. :eek:

Thanks for the video/stills Nate and Chad!
1534257484095.png

1534257510913.png

1534257542474.png

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
We all know this flys, but how are those plans coming along? :p

Unfortunately, they have not been worked on much at all. Work, family, and Flite Test have been keeping me very busy. I have not had time to work on any of my own designs in far too long. I'm not giving up on the Intruder though. It just won't be done in time for the contest.