FTFC19 - April Showers by FoamyDM, Savoia Marchetti S55X (Porco Rosso)

Qwenther

Amazing work as always! I'm looking forward to that flight video. With the balance just right, I'm sure It's gonna be awesome and have some presence in the air.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Checklist items before First Flight.
  • Wrap the bottom of the hulls in red shrink wrap.
  • Bracing String/wire to boom/tail
  • Add Decals / tail colors
  • Control Test - fix motor spool up issue
I'm hopeful for an attempt by the end of this weekend.

Bonus work - test Scotch guard spray for Waterproofing the board. if it work spray it.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Checklist items before First Flight.
  • Wrap the bottom of the hulls in red shrink wrap.
  • Bracing String/wire to boom/tail
  • Add Decals / tail colors
  • Control Test - fix motor spool up issue
I'm hopeful for an attempt by the end of this weekend.

Bonus work - test Scotch guard spray for Waterproofing the board. if it work spray it.
In some of the early FT videos they talk about camp dry, basically the same stuff. Ought to work just fine.

FoamyDM

I heard to work it like spray paint. 1st coat is light. Then you are good. Thanks

Last edited:

Robyle3

This one always seems to be a little progress at a time.

I have the same workflow with my Dinah. Between travelling to and from work, and day to day stuff I have very little time and energy left for building.

But that's why they're called passion projects, no? Who needs energy when you get to see something you built with your hands fly like a majestic brick in the sky?

FoamyDM

The leaving the ground successfully is a difficulty for me. (it seems). but when we can manage that... it is majestic.

FoamyDM

1577827080059.png

Looking at this again... I have a few adjustments to make.
the rear motor is at the step (likely the CG.) My motor pylon is further back.

in a moment of disappointment and a bit looking for hope, I threw this model... I shouldn't have. It was damaged slightly in the prompt return to earth.

So I have an opportunity to adjust some things. Mostly put a forward battery bay for 2220mAh 3S bay. with a xt60-xt30 connector. definitely nose lite.

FoamyDM

Somewhere around last week, I completed the bracing String/wire to boom/tail. That really helped stiffen/strengthen the tail boom.
I plan to figure out the motors tonight. and probably spray glue the wrap on and shrink, then put a layer of camp dry spray.

FoamyDM

I made an honest attempt to fly this plane yesterday the resulting repeated launch failures caused damage.
A rebuild and review of the tail configuration and rigging will be needed. the main section is still in good shape. a pontoon, was bruised is all.
1580488336443.png

My conclusion - a great looking ground speeder!

I learned after-the-fact the rear pusher motor was linked to the Ailerons... :unsure::oops:
Unfortunately this will not qualify for the FTF20 challenge requirements. (unless you count the dump from my hand to the ground at 5:07 :p)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I made an honest attempt to fly this plane yesterday the resulting repeated launch failures caused damage.
A rebuild and review of the tail configuration and rigging will be needed. the main section is still in good shape. a pontoon, was bruised is all.
View attachment 156349

My conclusion - a great looking ground speeder!

I learned after-the-fact the rear pusher motor was linked to the Ailerons... :unsure::oops:
Unfortunately this will not qualify for the FTF20 challenge requirements. (unless you count the dump from my hand to the ground at 5:07 :p)
Man, it was so promising, and looks so cool! I hope you get the kinks worked out!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
What I think happenned is that, this could be not scale, but since the balsa plans were using a 7 inch propeller, and you are using a 6" you might need to raise the motors up a little bit, and make sure that both are completely inline, and even maybe increase the up angle. When I built somethign like that, to moun the motors into the wings, I used really really thin stainless steel spars.

FoamyDM

What I think happenned is that, this could be not scale, but since the balsa plans were using a 7 inch propeller, and you are using a 6" you might need to raise the motors up a little bit, and make sure that both are completely inline, and even maybe increase the up angle. When I built somethign like that, to moun the motors into the wings, I used really really thin stainless steel spars.
I am trying to keep the rear section light, yet sturdy. I may 3d Prints something, but I have another way to test in a bit here.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
how about to attach the tail you use some pine rods, or some extra tent rods, they are made to be REALLY strong, and EXTREMELY light. they are a mix of carbon fiber and fiberglass and are really cheap to get.

FoamyDM

how about to attach the tail you use some pine rods, or some extra tent rods, they are made to be REALLY strong, and EXTREMELY light. they are a mix of carbon fiber and fiberglass and are really cheap to get.

good idea I am temped to 3d print.