FTFC19 Boeing SUGAR designed by T-Richard

T-Richard

Boeing SUGAR.jpg

I decided to go a different way with my build. I always wanted an airliner but can't seem to find a decent kit anywhere and I am not much of a scale buff so I like having a bit of wiggle room. This seems perfect, it has an airline look but has some cool features that I think airplanes in the future will have, the high aspect ratio wing and an efficient power-train/design. I've seen interpretations where it has propellers and some with turbines. Officially its a "twin-engine concept with a hybrid propulsion system that combines gas turbine and battery technology, a tube-shaped body and a truss-braced wing mounted to the top of the aircraft. This aircraft is designed to fly at Mach 0.79 carrying 154 passengers 3,500 nautical miles. "

Not sure what Scale I'll go for and in fact, I don't have a 3 view so this will take a good deal of interpretation.

I never designed a plane other than free hand so I'd like a suggestion for what software I should go for. Preferably free and open source, I'd like it to be able to use for future 3d printing if that's possible. Suggestions

As for the plane It'll certainly be a lengthy process for me as I usually go for simple builds but want to make something nice that is simple enough but still captures the lines of the aircraft well. Stay tuned and I could use some help with my design process so let me know where to start.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome aboard the challenge! :D

While there are Open Source tools that people use for both 3D and 2D design, I haven't seen too many people using them here in the forums. But there are several "free as in beer" options that are really good tools with the right price for the hobby budget.

If you're handy with computer design and want to take a 3D route, I've seen people have success with both Sketchup and Fusion 360 to design DTFB planes. You'll need to poke around here a little bit, but there are plugins and techniques to help flatten out a 3D shape.

If you want to stay 2D with the design, then DoubleCAD XT is a good option. @localfiend did a great template and several of us here in the forums are pretty happy with how it works.

And if you want to do decals or skins instead of painting, Inkscape is a great vector graphics (that is actually Open Source) and with a little fiddling there are ways to get plans out of the other programs and into Inkscape as a background template.

So any of those catch your eye? Any prior CAD or design experience or goals that makes one path more attractive?

T-Richard

So I used to use autocad about 20 years ago when I was a teenager. I used to type in all my commands and things took forever... Kinda turned me off the whole design thing.

Now my more pressing issue is that my computer ,which is quite recent, runs windows 7. I could put windows 10 but I hate it...

However, lately all my software has been giving me issues, latest update for liftoff and fpv freerider means I can no longer use either. ( Is this planned obsolescence? seems likely)

Now my video editor is buggy and I can't imagine what a Cad software will bring.

Think I'll start the design process this winter when I have an expert perform exorcism on my PC

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
With some AutoCAD background you will find DoubleCAD XT a pretty easy transition. I use it mostly via command line rather than mouse around the menus. It's not too taxing on the hardware, but it sounds like you might be due for a wipe and reinstall :(