FTFC19-Build-ruary by Vimana89

mayan

Legendary member
If this is durable in flight you my friend just saved me a lot of money, and time. Working with plywood isn't easy, or cheap if you don't have the right tools as apposed to working with poster board.

kilroy07

Legendary member
How stiff is it?... (please keep the snarky comments to a minimum...)
That's what you really need in the firewall, otherwise your thrust angle can (and will) change...

Vimana89

Legendary member
Update 2/7/19: Checking mail soon for motor screws. I perfected the templates for the custom trainer and slender delta, and started work on the custom trainer. I'm learning a lot as I go. This challenge isn't an endgame for me, or an event so much as a process. Unlike most others entering, I don't have any real success so far with building or flying, so there's no guarantee these will even run well when I maiden. These four planes are more of a learning process where I cut my teeth and practice and learn techniques for the first time that many have already mastered. If they suck and crash the first time, I'll just rebuild and try again.

Vimana89

Legendary member
If this is durable in flight you my friend just saved me a lot of money, and time. Working with plywood isn't easy, or cheap if you don't have the right tools as apposed to working with poster board.
My thoughts exactly!

Vimana89

Legendary member
How stiff is it?... (please keep the snarky comments to a minimum...)
That's what you really need in the firewall, otherwise your thrust angle can (and will) change...
Four layers thick feels as rigid as plywood. I'll know when I try it, but I made sure it had the same rigidity and didn't flex or bend more than the plywood. If you are using a wider mount, put a couple brackets of FB or something behind it like a lot of people do anyway, and there should be no worries.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Definitely the best looking plane I have ever built. But will it fly? Just needs electronics and top hatch.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
From a distance it looks like a kit or a store bought plane. Those FT decals are boss mode. By the time a plan gets released you bet your rear elevator it will be good, because @Dr. Looping Looie is the main creative force behind this one. What you see here is based on his design and input with a few differences.

Reactions: FDS

Vimana89

Legendary member
This might seem dumb, but are your batteries orientated correctly? If it's a rechargeable plack did you charge it?
First thing I checked was the simple stuff over and over. I think I got a dead on arrival. I read it happens. These types of transmitters are great because they are cheap and have a lot of functions and a good interface, but the quality control isn't always there.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
First thing I checked was the simple stuff over and over. I think I got a dead on arrival. I read it happens. These types of transmitters are great because they are cheap and have a lot of functions and a good interface, but the quality control isn't always there.
If it came dead on arrival you should be able to get a refund seeing as it came as a defective product.

Vimana89

Legendary member
If it came dead on arrival you should be able to get a refund seeing as it came as a defective product.
Yeah that's exactly what I intend to do. I can still get a lot of work done without it for now just can't maiden anything yet. I think I'll get a Z bend tool while I wait for the new one to come.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Screws are the right size for my graupner motors. I need to get this transmitter returned and get a new one, and make some firewalls.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Making excellent progress! The trainer looks great. Might want to watch out for the flat plate airfoil - can cause problems with pitch sensitivity. If you don't want to build a proper airfoil for it you can try a KFM style airfoil (just glue another layer of foamboard on top that runs the full width but only half the chord of the wing from the leading edge.

Here's an informative vid from Xjet

Vimana89

Legendary member
Making excellent progress! The trainer looks great. Might want to watch out for the flat plate airfoil - can cause problems with pitch sensitivity. If you don't want to build a proper airfoil for it you can try a KFM style airfoil (just glue another layer of foamboard on top that runs the full width but only half the chord of the wing from the leading edge.

Here's an informative vid from Xjet

You know, I've seen that KFM around quite a bit lately and was just thinking about it. It looks like a great option.The rebuild will probably use that type of wing if not an under camber. The first time I saw it was on a YouTuber's corroplast build with a forward swept wing, and it worked well for him.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Update 2/11/19: Requested/started return process on faulty transmitter. I ordered a replacement, estimated to be here Wednesday. My Z bend tool is due any time from Friday to some time next week. I may attempt one build without this tool and see if I can do decent z bends with regular pliers. Other than that, I can do some work on paint and air frames and other stuff in the mean time.