FTFC19-Build-ruary by Vimana89

Vimana89

Legendary member
Second transmitter just stopped working. Seriously I'm just getting tired. Sometimes I think if I wasn't this far in already so would never start in the first place. This isn't a hobby so much as a rollercoaster of non stopped annoyance and disappointment for me. I would rather be having fun or at least not wasting all my time just treading water trouble shooting disaster after disaster.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Good news. It seems to have randomly been a bunk batch for four batteries. Maybe somebody put a dead batch in the new pack, which is random. Somehow now both of my transmitters work, so I have a backup now. It crapped on me inexplicably when I was trouble shooting control and linkage problems(extra annoying)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Good news. It seems to have randomly been a bunk batch for four batteries. Maybe somebody put a dead batch in the new pack, which is random. Somehow now both of my transmitters work, so I have a backup now. It crapped on me inexplicably when I was trouble shooting control and linkage problems(extra annoying)
Grab or make a buddy box/dual instruction cable so that you can share your hobby when you learn to fly with a degree of skill. Until then it is always nice to have a spare!

I bought a second for exactly that purpose!

Have fun!

Vimana89

Legendary member
One of the last hurdles doing all these planes is going to be control linkages. I could not get the elevons to respond evenly on the slender delta. It was a combo of things, I think bad elevons that need replacing, and had trouble getting the rods the same length. I should have measured it all out before laying anything down. Think I will make new cleaner elevons and order some new push rods, and use the scraps to make shorter rods and try again on my trainer.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Linking going better with the trainer. I'll update its page when it is hatched and linked, then I need to program it. The slender delta will need a little rocket surgery. I need to replace the bunk elevons and wait for some new long push rods to come in. In the mean time I have everything I need to finish my scout as well.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Linking going better with the trainer. I'll update its page when it is hatched and linked, then I need to program it. The slender delta will need a little rocket surgery. I need to replace the bunk elevons and wait for some new long push rods to come in. In the mean time I have everything I need to finish my scout as well.

Well worth investing in some linkage stoppers - here is the link the the FT ones but most RC stores will carry them. Install then on the servo arm and it removes 90% of the hassle of setting up your control rods.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Links in my trainer are decent but I'm having trouble programming the ia6 for ailerons and elevator. It seems easier to do RET and elevons there's no preset for this and it's coming out weird. Until I know more I'll work on my scout.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For AET setup on a FSiA6 you do not want any mixing at all. Channel 1 is ailerons, (using a "Y" harness if 2 servos are being used. and the Elevator goes in Channel 2.

If necessary go into the programming/menu and turn off all mixing for the model slot selected!

have fun!

Vimana89

Legendary member
For AET setup on a FSiA6 you do not want any mixing at all. Channel 1 is ailerons, (using a "Y" harness if 2 servos are being used. and the Elevator goes in Channel 2.

If necessary go into the programming/menu and turn off all mixing for the model slot selected!

have fun!
So that's what that funny cable that came with my A pack is for! Thanks a lot.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll be finishing and possibly maidening my trainer today. I will probably not have a video for this and possibly my other planes for the absolute maiden flight. I don't have many people I can have take a video at the drop of a hat, and my first flights have a high rate of being complete fails, so I think I will just focus on seeing whether they are even air worthy at all, and give a maiden report for each first test, for whatever that is worth. Once I get them air worthy and controllable, I will try to get an uncut video, possible crashes and all. Also, I'll be cleaning up and organizing my posts and adding more info on the builds.

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
I will try to get an uncut video, possible crashes and all.
I'd urge you to try and get video of the maidens if you can...
Even IF they are like this one! :LOL::ROFLMAO::confused::cry:

Not only you have a record of a great flight if all goes well, but you'll have something to share here if it doesn't... and might just give someone what they need to help you succeed next time.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Is there a reason to install them there rather than the horn?... (Just curious)
It is a matter of personal preference.

I almost always fit mine on the control horns as then I can do field adjustments without having to partially disassemble the plane to make adjustments! Besides I do not like drilling out the Servo arm in case I wish to use it elsewhere perhaps in a plane where the existing setup uses the same hole in the arm but uses a "Z" bend or clevis at the servo end!

Additionally I like my linkage stoppers REALLY TIGHT and I can get more leverage and torque where I have plenty of room to use pliers and big handles tools on the Linkage stopper.

Just my preference!

Have fun!

Vimana89

Legendary member
When I use the elevon setting on my transmitter it puts the pitch side to side on the right stick and the roll up and down and I see no way to change this.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Is there a reason to install them there rather than the horn?... (Just curious)

As @Hai-Lee said it can be personal preference or habit. I have done it both ways, but mostly in the servo arm. I typically only switch if o think the linkage would be more serviceable with the linkage stopper in the control horn.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'd urge you to try and get video of the maidens if you can...
Even IF they are like this one! :LOL::ROFLMAO::confused::cry:

Not only you have a record of a great flight if all goes well, but you'll have something to share here if it doesn't... and might just give someone what they need to help you succeed next time.
Ouch, that was a good looking plane while it was in one piece. I am considering recording flights. Nobody I know shares the hobby. I may be able to get a friend or family member to record it, but I'd be on somebody else's time and they may have trouble keeping track of my plane. I'm thinking the best solution is to buy a cheap sports micro cam that I can mount to a hat since I'll be tracking my own plane by eye anyway. Alternatively, I can mount it on my planes, perhaps somewhat back from the nose so the movements are clearly visible.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Still curious as to how the firewalls will hold on flight with the motor heating up and putting a force on it?! Waiting for your feedback :).
Too early to tell, but the problems my custom trainer had were not with the firewall, at least for its very brief flight. One of the few non electronic parts still intact though, is the firewall. Hope this helps!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Vimana89 - I have my fingers crossed for you.

The Slender Delta looks great and much like the Kolibri High-alpha I just build. (y)
If you are still having slop/ slenderness issues, add two zip-tie guides glued in. the will keep the rod from bowing. wiat for the glue to set before testing.