Legendary member
The Results are in! see Post #3
1. Grifflyer
2. FoamyDM
3. Kilroy07
With a number of you close by.

Whoohoo I got a Bronze!! :love:

I am seriously humbled and honored!
Humbled by all the great talent displayed by everyone and Honored to be a part of it.

Great Job everyone!

As to your questions;
One phrase to describe how you feel about it right now.
Akin to how I felt about doing a tough mudder awhile ago; "Sore and tired, but glad I did it!"

Two thing about the challenge that could improve it.
The biggest issue I had was the maiden requirement and that's purely from a Winter weather standpoint.
The one weekend that was decent was 35 ish degrees... By my fourth maiden I was seriously loosing feeling in my fingers! :cry:

That said, kinda hard to prove the plane is all set and ready to fly (finished) without a maiden, so... no easy answer I guess.

Three shareable moments or notes to future Build-ruarians
Changing gears at the end and including my daughter was great! Looking back, we might have tried a different model, but it was a great starting point and experience all around.
The challenge pushed me to try a couple of new things (Ironing the edges of foamboard, my new FAVORITE thing to do! :D and using colored packing tape to color/protect a model. Which I will NEVER do again (or maybe just not a complex model like the seaduck. :mad:)
And Finally, Just Do It! Even if you don't get all four done, at least join the fun and excitement... Still glade I set aside the SR project to work on these challenge(s).

Which Logo do you like best
Honestly, I would like to see something that would be able to be cut from vinyl (Hint, hint...) So probably two colors at most...
But that's just my opinion (maybe we could ask/beg @Rasterize for some feedback... He's done several amazing logos for FT.) :sneaky:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Questionair

How I feel: Overwhelmed and a bit disappointed, but hopeful for next time

Two improvements: One, the stuff you are already working on; a more comprehensive system of scoring and categories with a more precise description of what is required. Two; a scaling rewards system that extends to second, third, and perhaps even fourth place. If the competition is small, you could do a winner take all. If it is big with a lot of entries, you could offer prizes for runners up. Even just small stuff, like a pack of FT decals or a custom sticker, or whatever.

Notable moments, comments: If one good thing came out all that chaos it was the bit of success I had with the mini scout. I came away sold on that plane as a great trainer, and I have another kit on the way to replace my busted scout. I learned a lot of things about thrust angles, about my limitations scratch building FT style fuselages, and much more. I had to adjust for motors that were different size from kit specs, parts that were ordered after the month started, learning a new transmitter, learning how to record video, and many other things that should not be a problem in the future.

One of the main things, though, is I need to keep building planes that are very, very easy to build as well as kits to get better, because it takes me a very long time to build pretty simple stuff, and it still comes out somewhat sloppy. A nutball or my slender delta should really not take me over six hours to build, a twin boom design over nine, etc. Once I get more efficient at building, have my materials before the month starts, and spend less time trouble shooting and learning stuff for the first time, I think I'll really be able to do much better in this competition and have much more interesting results to show for my effort.

Which logo: Sorry if this isn't very helpful, but I really like them both. I would be cool with either. Maybe make a version with the foamboard stack a bit smaller and the exacto knife and glue gun in front of it.