FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Just an update....

The world's been against me on this one! Of course I got a late start anyways and didn't figure I'd finish before the end of the month. I gave it my best but I sorta knew completing the challenge by the end of the month was not going to happen. I will happily continue building the ones I started with though. Aside from the late start...

-I am still waiting on electronics for most of the builds. Should be here anytime I would say.
-Not sure if anyone noticed in one of the other threads, but I got hit with Flu A and was down for about 4 days.

I will continue posting updates to my thread for anyone who wants to see and have videos on my youtube channel as they become available (and I'll share the vids here too). Thanks again @FoamyDM for the awesome challenge!

Keep at it @basslord1124 .
Sorry to hear about the flu. And the parts. I am updating my thread now. as of today I have 3 of 4 complete successes...

Vimana89

Legendary member
This ones been rough for everyone. My nutball motor just started stuttering when I tried to maiden today right as I was about to launch. I got some footage of my scout's re-maiden though!! If I can't just upload it directly I'll make a YouTube account. I'm still getting camera angle right so there's gaps where you can hear the plane but not see it, but there's takeoff footage and a few turns and passes. It almost crashes but I pull it up at the end with a rough skid that broke the prop but nothing else. All in all a decent experience. I tried to re-launch the scout with a new prop, but there was wind resistance and a crease in the wing just gave out and bent. It should be good to go after some light rocket surgery. Right now I'm doctoring up the scout to take back out for some fun, and finishing up the slender delta rebuild. Keep your fingers crossed for a good maiden on that one. Theres a bit of wind out today but I gotta do it for science.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Slender delta was a flop:poop:. I think the wind killed it more than anything, I can't really choose the weather I have to deal with with one day left in the competition:mad:, now I have to completely reattach the nose. Strong wind interference during takeoff is just such a load of crap. Wind is getting worse and worse outside now, so sadly I will probably not get more footage today. I have the nose back on and she feels good as far as functions check, but no point launching in heavy winds. I'm a new flyer and have bad reaction time, so I need smooth launches.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

@Vimana89 I feel it. It was like this last year - (looks @DamoRC )
add to that, if you go in for @rockyboy 's Design build challenge. (next it will be a spec, speed D&B challenge) While they can overlap. Designing and building is takes much longer with higher failure rate - unless your @jpot1 :)mad:) and make a shooting star every time :cool:

FoamyDM

Awesome!
it's funny. Each Build-ruary I look at the beginning thinking, "This will be EASY!"

Then by the end I yell, "Run Away! Run Away!" thinking "That plane challenge is dynamite!"
FGXZO01HLZRILKM.SMALL.jpg

Next year I need to finish my D&B prior to February so I can do a clean fresh model and Build video as part Build-ruary and then I don't have to worry about if it will fly.

Final updates made. Too much rain here to get any flying days but mission barely accomplished. I did hear from a few people that it starts drying up next month (historically anyway). Still had fun and now I get two new flying buddies.

FoamyDM

I did not do a full extra build, I am adding the Giant Scale Devil's Dozen - Big Bat.

While it is not QUITE craft knives down, it is close.

I will be putting together the information on this Challenge. As this may take a moment.

Can I ask that Challengers take three moment to give a moment of Feedback? Feedback is a gift and is greatly

One phrase to describe how you feel about it right now.
Two thing about the challenge that could improve it.
Three shareable moments or notes to future Build-ruarians

Lastly did you enjoy the challenge and will you try it next year?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Right now I plan to maiden the Grunjet, the Kfm wing, and the 70% racer today!!

I did not do a full extra build, I am adding the Giant Scale Devil's Dozen - Big Bat.

While it is not QUITE craft knives down, it is close.

I will be putting together the information on this Challenge. As this may take a moment.

Can I ask that Challengers take three moment to give a moment of Feedback? Feedback is a gift and is greatly

One phrase to describe how you feel about it right now.
Two thing about the challenge that could improve it.
Three shareable moments or notes to future Build-ruarians

Lastly did you enjoy the challenge and will you try it next year?
#1 - I think the challenge is great
#2 - All in all pretty much everything is great about the challenge, the only gripe I have, being in February in Minnesota there's 20+ in. of snow. So if it were a springtime deal it would make it a lot easier to get out and fly.
#3 - I think the my shareable moment will be when I go fly in knee deep snow:p
#4 - I've had a ton of fun so far and will likely have even more fun later today, and I look forward to what next year will bring!!

FoamyDM

Right now I plan to maiden the Grunjet, the Kfm wing, and the 70% racer today!!

#1 - I think the challenge is great
#2 - All in all pretty much everything is great about the challenge, the only gripe I have, being in February in Minnesota there's 20+ in. of snow. So if it were a springtime deal it would make it a lot easier to get out and fly.
#3 - I think the my shareable moment will be when I go fly in knee deep snow:p
#4 - I've had a ton of fun so far and will likely have even more fun later today, and I look forward to what next year will bring!!

I can't wait to see the vids of you in knee high snow trying to fly these... at least it's like landing in high grass, but just damaging your electronics is all.

1: I feel pretty good about it and this has only made want to fly more.
2: I don't think there is anything to improve. Maybe that's because I'm too new to this.
3: The challenge gave me a jump-start on bringing my kids into the fixed wing side of the hobby.
4: I'm definitely coming back for next year!

Namactual

Elite member
@FoamyDM
Oops, I did not mean to officially enter. I am just here in spirit so to speak.(y)
Sorry about that bud.

I might be able to join next year?...
...when I retire for sure...:sneaky: