basslord1124

Master member
Man, just now seeing this challenge. Of course I have only just recently started paying more attention to this particular subforum. I am thinking of sitting this challenge out. I am building the Mini Scout, but started it prior to February. I do have some other builds I could do, but I know with finances I may not be able to get all the electronics in within a reasonable amount of time.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Hmmmm..... I'm not entirely sure if I will be able to submit a complete entry. The plane that is to be announced is taking up a little bit more time and my AP goshawk project went to crap towards the end (servo issues). I'll try to get 4 planes in but I can't confirm. My new entry is "The blob" "Small powered glider" and two unknown (I have no clue what I will want to build towards the end of the month, my interests change very quickly :))

I did manage to get my tail boom done last night but went to bed instead of updating my thread. Tonight is my induction to the local club and first meeting. Should be a blast but don’t anticipate getting much done tonight.

*Spoiler Alert*
Double check everything is inside the tail before you close it haha

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Man, just now seeing this challenge. Of course I have only just recently started paying more attention to this particular subforum. I am thinking of sitting this challenge out. I am building the Mini Scout, but started it prior to February. I do have some other builds I could do, but I know with finances I may not be able to get all the electronics in within a reasonable amount of time.
The point of this is to get us collectively building planes. You might win something but mostly you'll have a few more planes to crash! Do it anyway, do what you can. the worst that happens is you get some planes built... darn, right? I have a mini scout in the same boat. I may submit it if I don't do the ones I plan on. However, I will only expect a commiserate score. So 1/3 to 1/2 score. Don't worry too much. Just build! Last year we all had the equivalent of 3-ish entries. don't worry.

Hmmmm..... I'm not entirely sure if I will be able to submit a complete entry. The plane that is to be announced is taking up a little bit more time and my AP goshawk project went to crap towards the end (servo issues). I'll try to get 4 planes in but I can't confirm. My new entry is "The blob" "Small powered glider" and two unknown (I have no clue what I will want to build towards the end of the month, my interests change very quickly :))
See above. Do your best and try for it.

Word to all contestants (the stressed): This challenge is Crazy! Most of us won't make it. Please don't bow out. The fun and effort of being part will be worth it.

FoamyDM

@DamoRC What's your take on the last few posts? You were part of this last time? (Mr. last minute build post-er :p)
For those here... I have WAY too many project and Clearly NOT enough time. I'm not worried. It has spawned me to complete things I've been wanting to, and get me excited about new projects.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@DamoRC What's your take on the last few posts? You were part of this last time? (Mr. last minute build post-er :p)
For those here... I have WAY too many project and Clearly NOT enough time. I'm not worried. It has spawned me to complete things I've been wanting to, and get me excited about new projects.

This was madness last year and its madness again this year - but its supposed to be about the fun of building and flying and sharing the experience as a group excercise. I like it because it got me to commit to rebuilding the small Diamond and fixing the C-130 - things I just keep putting off. Agree with @FoamyDM sentiment to just stick with it and see what you can get done. Guarantee you'll get more done than if you drop out.

DamoRC

basslord1124

Master member
The point of this is to get us collectively building planes. You might win something but mostly you'll have a few more planes to crash! Do it anyway, do what you can. the worst that happens is you get some planes built... darn, right? I have a mini scout in the same boat. I may submit it if I don't do the ones I plan on. However, I will only expect a commiserate score. So 1/3 to 1/2 score. Don't worry too much. Just build! Last year we all had the equivalent of 3-ish entries. don't worry.

See above. Do your best and try for it.

Word to all contestants (the stressed): This challenge is Crazy! Most of us won't make it. Please don't bow out. The fun and effort of being part will be worth it.

All right @FoamyDM . You got me, I give in! :p Love the enthusiasm and drive...and really in the end, who cares if you "win"...as long as you are building something then you are already winning. I'll just build what I can and see how far I get. I'll be posting soon on the builds that I choose, I kinda already know which ones I'll be picking with a possible change or 2.

FoamyDM

All right @FoamyDM . You got me, I give in! :p Love the enthusiasm and drive...and really in the end, who cares if you "win"...as long as you are building something then you are already winning. I'll just build what I can and see how far I get. I'll be posting soon on the builds that I choose, I kinda already know which ones I'll be picking with a possible change or 2.
That's the spirit! :)

I live in a Military area. Contests can get... serious. I once put a local scout "contest" together. All of a sudden you woulda thought someone's baby was at stake. (Rumplestiltskin I'm looking at you :mad:,:p) All of a sudden there were complaints about fair, and rule definitions, and not enough time to plan. I learned right there. The word "contest" carries weight.

I mean this contest lightly. But I know for some the prize is important.

Speaking of, we may have some news coming on that. Have fun all!

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Remember, Students need only do 2 projects as school takes precedence and Feb. is busy. Points for Student builds are double.
If you change planes mid-contest... that's ok. 4 planes - 4 weeks.

1 more entry and it might be a Contest. 2 more beats out last year.

Last year, we had 4 entries that stuck. we had a lot of fun.
I'd like to re-invite @DamoRC , @foamtest and @Daniel Kezar back to the fray!
Danny boy has taken some time off on the forums.

FoamyDM

How does everyone else feel?

My tiny wing maidened... and didn't go. I need to check the CG. I was rushed.

I broke a prop. and my spirit. I have to change my control surface setup. Easy enough. just ran out of steam with disappointment.
...and little sleep from talking to my DND friends until 2pm after an all-Saturday D&D game revealing World-Changing events. Epic. and tiring.

I did my speed adjustments to the Heaven's spade Dragster build (nothing posted). I ironed sloped tail edges. and curling the leading edges

I have to say, this is much easier than bevel cutting. I will let you know about it's impact to building tonight. I wanted to color-tape the wings tonight prior to building.
Right now I'm nearly on track.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Coming along...
The Sea Duck is a pretty intense build (maybe the hardest one I've tried to date.) Not impossible, just a lot more "Might have to trim" occurrences than other builds.

Started on the seaduck (my 1st) this weekend, got about half way maybe then realized I needed to prep electronics (I'll add a write up to my build tonight.) I plan on wrapping that build and getting the Mustang done this week... That just leaves the Legacy (but I still need to do the cut files for that.) I've been mulling around the idea of a 75% version.... The landing gear I have would look pretty anemic on a full sized version! :LOL:

I'm now on the fence with taping the whole aircraft... Maybe it's just the geometry of the sea duck, but I've gone back and forth between covering before assembly or after...
IMG_8209[1].JPG
If you do it before, you have to cut away the tape where you are going to glue...
IMG_8210[1].JPG
And here you can see I waited to cover the fuselage top until after it's joined to the bottom... (Now, wondering if that was a mistake.)

The weather looks pretty horrific here for the next two weeks (at least for my skill level) getting maidens in before I have to travel for work (25Feb - 1 March) might also be a problem. I'll get my builds done, just have to see about weather.

kilroy07

Legendary member
One of the connectors to the motor came undone!
I would say, if your motor connections are loose... WATCH OUT! I've lost a couple motors and ESCs because of cheap (loose fitting) motor connectors. Apparently it can really mess with a brushless motor and ESC to only have 2 of the three wires getting current...
I would see stuttering or difficulty starting and then not too long after that the motor and/or ESC would blow!

Good thing that was back when I was using the $5 2212 Chinese Gold motors!!

I use MT60 connectors on the ESC side now (most of my motors now come with HQ connectors already soldered.)
IMG_8205[1].JPG

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor

My tiny wing maidened... and didn't go. I need to check the CG. I was rushed.

I broke a prop. and my spirit. I have to change my control surface setup. Easy enough. just ran out of steam with disappointment.
...and little sleep from talking to my DND friends until 2pm after an all-Saturday D&D game revealing World-Changing events. Epic. and tiring.

I did my speed adjustments to the Heaven's spade Dragster build (nothing posted). I ironed sloped tail edges. and curling the leading edges

I have to say, this is much easier than bevel cutting. I will let you know about it's impact to building tonight. I wanted to color-tape the wings tonight prior to building.
Right now I'm nearly on track.

Builds and repairs going slowly, February going quickly - bad combo.

Got the first Parkmaster Pro iteration built and its horrible.

Got the Diamond stripped and my electronics in so I have one to fly but haven't started the new build.

F-100 - nothin' happenin' (yet)

C-130 Repair - see F-100

Spending most available build time trying to fix the Tron Legacy Light Jet which is also due at the end of the month.

All that being said, I'm still optimistic for a productive month - including today there are still 18 days to work with!

Paracodespoder

Elite member

I’m feeling pretty good about mine.

I got the sportster maidened (flies great inverted by the way :D)

Baby blender is ready for the maiden.

Long EZ just needs the motor/esc/receiver installed then maidened

Trainer glider hasn’t been started yet, plan on starting on it tonight.

FoamyDM

Builds and repairs going slowly, February going quickly - bad combo.

Got the first Parkmaster Pro iteration built and its horrible.

Got the Diamond stripped and my electronics in so I have one to fly but haven't started the new build.

F-100 - nothin' happenin' (yet)

C-130 Repair - see F-100

Spending most available build time trying to fix the Tron Legacy Light Jet which is also due at the end of the month.

All that being said, I'm still optimistic for a productive month - including today there are still 18 days to work with!

DamoRC did you ever make a Full sheet pdf of the Diamond? my files only have the broken down ones.
I see the F-100 is a hot number lately (with other build happening)

Who else? any more updates?

All of you can do it!

JTarmstr

Elite member
I have finished the Mini Scout, it is awaiting a break in the cold rainy weather for a maiden, I have just been to lazy/busy to add the post. Same for the FTFC Jackal. I did download Inkscape to work on some plans for the X-44. February is going by wayyyyyyy to fast for me.