FTFC19 - Crimson Skies: Devil's Dozen Mosquito by FoamyDM

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
While designing another CS plane, I wanted to try a 5" A-pack version of the Devil's Dozen Mosquito. one the sheet is a chuck glider version. It fits one of those 2.5" (65mm) happy face stress balls. I was planning on finding a christmas clear acrylic craft ball

Here is the Alpha set of plans.
DevilsDozen-MosquitoPDFCapture.PNG
I will post a picture for the build mock-up by lunch time. with luck I will have a CG sussed out. the outside is ailerons, and the in would be elevators.
The main wing will need to have the paper removed and curled as a main model.

If you try your hand at this build. let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• DDMosquito-CGSht1.pdf
    128.6 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Here's some progress from today.
IMG_20181015_134051002.jpg IMG_20181015_134101021.jpg IMG_20181015_134037387.jpg
IMG_20181015_134027546.jpg

As you can see the ball fit perfectly!
Cg is midway between the front of wing at the fuse and the front of the hole for the ball.
It came together we'll. I'm very pleased so far. Below are a few 6s snips of the glide tests.

Let me know your thoughts on the glider please.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Glider is great - servo bag is awesome - don't know where you find the time to build as much as you do already! o_O

FoamyDM

I worry this is to small, so I'll nee to have a very light motor setup. I have two options.
1) put in the Tachyon motor, and a 2- 5 g servo setup. (elevator, rudder)
2) Put in the Banggood C-17 motor setup and balance it.

FoamyDM

None... I've uh, been busy.
both with RC stuff and elsewhere. (Scout re-charter and STEM day, DND campaigns, and Dadding. (yes a verb) ).

I have the Banggood C-17 setup. I will install and test tonight as the THK-13 project didn't work (yet).

FoamyDM

The DD:Mosquito (C-17) system is tested!
I am using a 8.5x20 set with 2.5" props pushing. I will locate the centers on the plans. I put the battery near the hatch, and added a penny near the nose. Also I pinched the front edge of the canard up, and the backs down a couple hairs.
IMG_20190219_234501403.jpg
I then tossed it.
IMG_20190219_234947955.jpg
It weighs in at 43g. With a 150mAh 1s battery. The flight was short and at 1/3 throttle. I could tell that higher throttle caused the plane to rise, but my hallway is too short.
IMG_20190219_234501403.jpg IMG_20190219_234438892.jpg
IMG_20190219_233639130.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190219_235107961.jpg
    IMG_20190219_235107961.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Love the video! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, we do indeed have proof of flight - and it looked like pretty straight flight too! Although I think it was rolling at the end there.... :unsure:

FoamyDM

Possibly, but the system has gyroscopic stability. This is designed to have a ball in the center. This will give it most of it's strength. but I think I will recommend gluing a plastic ring around the center opening...
I was excited about how well it flew for sure.
I still have to cut out the non-profile one and see how that goes. Either way, the pressure is off. But the fun has just begun!
If I had more system, (not in planes) I would shrink the sparrow. To have slow Lazy dog fights with. :p

FoamyDM

Looking at the size again, I will update this after the contest so you can print out 4 per foam sheet.
The drawback to this is the Controller system doesn't allow you to fly more than one model at a time. but I noticed
the C-17 and GD-006 two model's transmitters and Boards/receivers don't talk. Which could be good. Also thinking about whoop boards too. as you can get a couple of the same in the air together.
I guess, that's the long way around, there are possibilities.

FoamyDM

I took it outside and it flies, but when I tried to turn it, it got squirrely, and dumped over into a dive, rather than turn...
I will rebuild this one very soon.