FTFC19 Crimson Skies Heaven's Spade Carrier designed by FoamyDM

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This is my FTFC '18 Design and Build Challenge thread of the Crimson Skies Inspired Heaven's Spade Faction's Carrier.
Reason: this look amazing, I want one!
HeavensSpade__carrier.jpg

Capture.JPG Drill Torpedo.PNG
and that is where this project will start.
Plans:
Here are the Full Sized Plans

Build-Log:
see below

Maiden:
Takeaway:
Do's:
Dont's:

Attachments

• HSCarrier-Full BETA.pdf
    271.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That looks ambitious with all the curves and compound bends.

Good luck on the design mate. Can't wait to see it in the air!

FoamyDM

I'm not really sure how to do easy... I checked my vocabulary... Nope. it said, "Things non-engineers do." I guess my training doesn't allow for it.
It won't be as difficult as the VF-9. and I'm very please about the way that turned out. I have high hopes... Should have plans together soon. I don't thing the Sketchup model is going to cut it.

FoamyDM

The problem with these planes is they look so fun. And I wanna try them all. I suppose if I build a glider of each, when I find one that glides well this will determine it. I will help my build addiciton, and solve the Which to I turn RC question. The answer is all.

FoamyDM

As I was looking this over, I noticed that this is easy to turn into a Chuck Glider, (with 3 sides, boxy but it should help with CG)
HeavensSpade__carrier.jpg
CADD sheets.PNG

HSCarrier Sheet 1 of 2 pdf - Alpha
HSCarrier Sheet 2 of 2 PDF - Alpha
I warn you, build at your own risk. make an extra sheet 1 to fold over. and
While I was there... I made the Devil's Dozen Mosquito:oops:
DevilsDozen-Mosquito.png I think I made it too small. but it's a 5" prop size and tiny.

I will have to start another thread I think for this one.

Attachments

• HSCarrier-CGSht1of2.pdf
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
  • HSCarrier-CGSht2of2.pdf
    137 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FoamyDM

While enjoying an online space RPG last night, I worked on the Chuck Glider/prototype version. While building I noted about the fit of different pieces.
IMG_20181017_075800318.jpg
Add notches to the front of the H stabilizer
Extend a second upper sheet of wings to account for the curve.
The inner nose collar sides were 1 board thickness to long.
planing out and Building a box spar for the inner wing.
Noting good tab locations
Electronics layout

Any thoughts on a triangular spar system?

I didn't plan out the spar... so I cut one from the scrap of the second wing. It may not be long enough, but I will put it in and see. right now the wingspan is 60" and I will either make the wing collapsible in half, or have a core center section with the ends sporting the motors, making the small-car transportation and motor connections easier. The spar looks too high, I think some trimming might be in order. I suppose if I had picked a wing section, this 3 piece wing would have been simpler. meh.:confused:

As a side note DTFB: is NOT 20" x 30" :mad: it is 29 7/8"

FoamyDM

After looking at the depth from the slit in the fuselage sides, and top I decided to do a twice this spar. Built up from the tapered peices and other scraps. I did a cg estimate and remember it being at the front of the tab slot.
Here's a picture of it together and balanced.
IMG_20181018_003958498.jpg IMG_20181018_003837368.jpg
For now I strapped the wing on top for the flight test.
IMG_20181018_004015646.jpg
It's nice to have progress.

FoamyDM

Glide Test Complete - Success!
As you can see from the video below that I tweak a number of things to get this about right. I used two glue sticks ahead of the spar to get this to balance out right.
The doubled removable nose made the vertical landings come away without a scratch. below is a pic of the detail.
IMG_20181019_071357754.jpg
With this complete and successful, I will be taking a few nights putting in some details. Like the Cockpit, beaks, tail control surfaces, and figuring out a drop mechanism, oh yeah and build the Drill Torpedo. The torque roll on that thing will be stupid. the spring loaded wings will be fun though. What I can't tell is what purpose do the props serve, to slow it down or speed it up.? It looks to be controlled solely with a rudder. :eek:
Drill Torpedo.PNG

Another problem is how will I fit a 60" wingspan plane into a 52" wide car?
IMG_20181018_190430982.jpg
I suppose I will have to build a CF spar into it. and just be able to take it apart.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Glide Test Complete - Success!
As you can see from the video below that I tweak a number of things to get this about right. I used two glue sticks ahead of the spar to get this to balance out right.
The doubled removable nose made the vertical landings come away without a scratch. below is a pic of the detail.
View attachment 117048
With this complete and successful, I will be taking a few nights putting in some details. Like the Cockpit, beaks, tail control surfaces, and figuring out a drop mechanism, oh yeah and build the Drill Torpedo. The torque roll on that thing will be stupid. the spring loaded wings will be fun though. What I can't tell is what purpose do the props serve, to slow it down or speed it up.? It looks to be controlled solely with a rudder. :eek:
View attachment 117049

Another problem is how will I fit a 60" wingspan plane into a 52" wide car?
View attachment 117047
I suppose I will have to build a CF spar into it. and just be able to take it apart.

If the seats fold down in your car, I would try sliding it in sideways, or maybe have one of the wings sticking out the window?

FoamyDM

Thank you @JTarmstr.
I do have folding seats, but two children young, who typically occupy the back seat. Ultimately I won't have a problem, I can either fold the one side and put the older in the front, or slide it in the front like I do with my FT Simple Soarer. It's a good thing that I don't have a fourth rider.:)

when I put it on the car trunk to point out the CG point, I found it amusing that the wings dwarf the car. :LOL:

FoamyDM

Putting in servos. Notching space for the wing in the fuselage slit. Finding that making a hold to feed servos through is helpful. Cutting the elevator and twin rudders. Trying g to get my one motor unbolted. Thank you loc-tite.
IMG_20181020_030455678.jpg

I still need to find a way to lock the motors down. And add defining features. Like the beaks and cockpit.

FoamyDM

Found a way to lock the motor pods in. They are a shortened standard C/B pod. Cut just behind the tab. I took the leftover triagular piece, adjusted them and used them as a mount lock.
IMG_20181025_012136381.jpg
as you see, this sits right inbetween the slots in the wing for the pod tabs. The hole is closed to the wing.

Still working out the rudder and elevator setup.

FoamyDM

Got some of this layed out. It's now looking close. I have to set up landing gear for me. Large wheels are requires for my field. The Large pool noodle size. They will be mounted just in front of the motors. front 2200mah 4S battery will be in the nose. I will put a swept back nose wheel on swivel just behind the nose. I'm ready to set up the controls to test. I may need to link the aileron to free up a slot in the 6 channels.
Heres what I have so far
IMG_20181030_003829004.jpg
IMG_20181030_003841106.jpg
IMG_20181030_004111607.jpg IMG_20181028_114959794.jpg IMG_20181028_115030740.jpg IMG_20181030_004104106.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's looking awesome!! :D

Any plans to do a printable skin for it? I'd be happy to help with that if you're too busy cutting foam :D

FoamyDM

My plan was to paint it with red gloss. (Light coats) and use black tape brothers packing tape. For the control surfaces. However... @rockyboy, I would be honored to work with you on a skin, as you know how busy I am cutting foam. I have at least 3 more planes to cut out after this. (I'm losing track.)

I need to finalize the beaks. I like what happened with them last night. It was free form though. And I need to capture it in the digital plans. I was going to possibly re-do them next time in black DTFB. The beaks and the control surfaces, and use reverse-tape piano hinges.

FoamyDM

IMG_20181030_071729951.jpg
Here is what I pulled out of the trash. From the paper pulled from the back.
edit: manual-corrected auto corrected misspell of trash.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Put one long face of tape up. The length of your surface. Put another one face down, same length along the long edge overlapping oy the thickness of the material at the joint. Cut them across the width every 3/4inch or so.
At this point you rotate, or turn over every other piece. Then you stickdown your wing surfaces on either side of the overlap lining up the overlap edge and the part edge. Pull it up and weave the sticky side to the other side of the opposite part.
attachmentNew.php

The end effect is like a Jacobs ladder, which keeps the control surfaces tight to the wing no matter which direction it deflects.
There are other ways, like the picture, to install them. But the end result is the same, they work great. Even sloppy ones keep the gap small. And when done the whole length, it's like a piano hinge. Although only a min of three alternating is required. 2 groups of two is a recommended minimum.

It is a lot more work than the simple bevel or 1 piece tape hinge. But I like it for rudders so the deflected side is smooth and tight to the rudder for more laminar flow there.

The picture links to a RCGroups thread all about it.

I hope this helped

Tjhochha

Awesome build, it has tons of stuff I haven't seen yet. I like your elevator control rod idea, I may have to use that idea when I build a new fuse for my P2V I'm designing. I may have to incorporate that hinge idea into some of my builds.
This is what I have now, the ends of the wire point down and punch into the foam. I was just going to use a standard control horn off to the side.
IMG_6992.JPG

How did you come up with the CG for it? Did you use e eCalc?