FTFC19 Don Karnage Triplane - TailSpin designed by Horseman3381

Horseman3381

I was able to get both the version 2.1 of the Tri-Plane and the Bi-Plane version out for test flights this weekend. On both planes I scaled up the vertical stabilizer 140% and replaced the 10x7 prop with an 11x4.7. Between those changes both planes flew substantially better than they previously had. They were no longer falling out of the sky in turns and could fly at 3/4 throttle (though this was on the verge of stall speed for the Tri-plane). I was able to land the planes, but need to reinforce teh front of the pontoons and where the wheel axles attache to them.

I was having issues with my GoPro and didn't end up getting any footage. The forecast is not looking promising for getting out again any time soon, so it may be a while before I get more footage.

I think with the latest few modifications I have I am going to call the design done and work to get plans and a build video together to complete my entry.

Horseman3381

How's the plans coming?

Sorry for being quiet on this project. To give an update:

-The plans are updated and ready to post.

-I filmed a build video and am hoping to get it edited and posted in the next week.

-I am finishing up the paint on the final version of the plane.

20190220_214704.jpg

-Due to my work travel schedule and weather not cooperating (being from Minnesota with wind, cold and snow) it will likley be a little while before I will be able to get the final version out to fly, but since the previous version flew good, and the latest version was simply to proof the plans and film the video, I'm not worried about it.

So look foward to another update in the near future.

OliverW

Legendary member
It should fly fine on that. The key is you need to be using an 11x4.5 prop at 1000KV+ on 3s as a minimum to get it flying decent. The 11 inch prop is needed to get adequit air around the cowling/fuselage. It appears a Park 480 is capable of that.
Alright!!!! Future build for sure

Horseman3381

Project Update: Plans and link to build video have been added to the first page of the thread. Once the weather improves/cooperates I will post a video of the Tri-Plane, Bi-Plane version flying with the FT SeaDuck. Will likely be early April before this gets done. There is video of the previous version flying earlier in the thread.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Pretty cool. A little squirelly like you say, but for a cartoon plane it flies great! I really like the takeoff runs. It looks real determined.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Sorry for being quiet on this project. To give an update:

-The plans are updated and ready to post.

-I filmed a build video and am hoping to get it edited and posted in the next week.

-I am finishing up the paint on the final version of the plane.

View attachment 124624

-Due to my work travel schedule and weather not cooperating (being from Minnesota with wind, cold and snow) it will likley be a little while before I will be able to get the final version out to fly, but since the previous version flew good, and the latest version was simply to proof the plans and film the video, I'm not worried about it.

So look foward to another update in the near future.
@Horseman3381 - I want to say, from the outside (not actually building from the vid) The quality of the video is very well done! and a big Thanks

area there any updates you might do to be able to run it on a C-pack Radial?

Last edited: