FTFC19 Don Karnage Triplane - TailSpin designed by Horseman3381

Horseman3381

@Horseman3381 - I want to say, from the outside (not actually building from the vid) The quality of the video is very well done! and a big Thanks

area there any updates you might do to be able to run it on a C-pack Radial?

I'm excited to see someone else building one of these. It is looking great!

In regards to flying or off an FT radial, that is currently what I have in it now. Ro make it work as it I added a spacer or two behind the blade. You could also move the hole in the powerpod foward I want to say it was 1/4" or so.

I never did fly it off watter, but when I rebuild the bi-plane version I did check if would float on the designed pontoons. It did not. In ordered to fly off the pontoons it would probably need to have pontoons with 4+ times the buoyancy.

Remember, the plane is a handful, and you need to have the rates on it set low. Good Luck!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm excited to see someone else building one of these. It is looking great!

In regards to flying or off an FT radial, that is currently what I have in it now. Ro make it work as it I added a spacer or two behind the blade. You could also move the hole in the powerpod foward I want to say it was 1/4" or so.

I never did fly it off watter, but when I rebuild the bi-plane version I did check if would float on the designed pontoons. It did not. In ordered to fly off the pontoons it would probably need to have pontoons with 4+ times the buoyancy.

Remember, the plane is a handful, and you need to have the rates on it set low. Good Luck!
Thanks for that. I don't have an 11x4.7 but I just have to put a 10*4.7 for now. Last item is foam on the tire hubs, and paint. How did you paint yours? Brush, spray? It looks like a labor of love to look right.

FoamyDM

So a word to those building. Get long forceps. You will need them for the wire manager. Along with a number if servo extensions and a Y-harness, As described in the build vid.

Horseman3381

Thanks for that. I don't have an 11x4.7 but I just have to put a 10*4.7 for now. Last item is foam on the tire hubs, and paint. How did you paint yours? Brush, spray? It looks like a labor of love to look right.

I used spray paint for the black, red and the grey cowling, just taping as I went. The gray stripes on the fuselage, the dark gray pods on the wings and the windshield I used a brush for, though it was spray paint, I just sprayed some into half a poweraid bottle.

I would highly recommend trying to find an 11" prop if you can. It made a big difference in performance. I actually ended up putting an 12x4 on the latest bi-plane I built.

FoamyDM

IMG_20210904_013751986.jpg
Started the day with the plane above

Finished the landing gear and weighed it (with the battery)
IMG_20210905_180535862.jpg
IMG_20210905_180542088.jpg

And after take off attempts from pavement with not enough runway. Struck a number of curbs. (It had a tendency to turn a slight right. Then (without gear I gave it a few tosses.) It rolled hard. And I never managed flight. But it is in one piece, and good shape:
IMG_20210905_185403749.jpg

Damaged prop, loosened bottom wing.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
View attachment 206860
Started the day with the plane above

Finished the landing gear and weighed it (with the battery)
View attachment 206859 View attachment 206858
And after take off attempts from pavement with not enough runway. Struck a number of curbs. (It had a tendency to turn a slight right. Then (without gear I gave it a few tosses.) It rolled hard. And I never managed flight. But it is in one piece, and good shape:
View attachment 206857
Damaged prop, loosened bottom wing.

That looks like a PERFECT candidate for counter rotating props. Short stubby wings means it feels the need. THE NEED FOR SPEED not to mention it probably has a severe case of torque roll.

Matagami Designs

Master member
I wonder if it would benefit from a larger horizontal stabilizer/elevator. It feels small compared to the total wing area and I don't think it would look bad if it were 15-20% larger. Would likely help your rotations on takeoff as well.

FoamyDM

That looks like a PERFECT candidate for counter rotating props. Short stubby wings means it feels the need. THE NEED FOR SPEED not to mention it probably has a severe case of torque roll.
mine did... that is why it was not hand launched in any of the Flight Vids @Horseman3381. He mentions is it is a challenge to fly. why he has a friend fly it, I think. It is DURABLE and I have the proper propellers on the way. I will by putting a small pin it this once it is fixed up. (landing Gear mostly.)

Horseman3381

mine did... that is why it was not hand launched in any of the Flight Vids @Horseman3381. He mentions is it is a challenge to fly. why he has a friend fly it, I think. It is DURABLE and I have the proper propellers on the way. I will by putting a small pin it this once it is fixed up. (landing Gear mostly.)

Sorry you weren't able to get it in the air, I know I went through a lot of props on it before I got it figured out. You will notice quite the difference when you get the proper prop on it.

A number of my original flights when testing it were hand launched, but I also remember having to give a lot of aileron until it had gotten speed up, which is why the gear helps. But even then it is a task to get in the air. Generally once you are a few seconds into the flight and it is up to speed it gets a lot easier.

In regards to durability, using the paint sticks as spars saves a lot on repairs for the plane when in the learning curve of flying it. I know I have gone through a lot of props without having to do much for repairs to the plane it's self.

Good lick on the next attempts.

FoamyDM

A number of my original flights when testing it were hand launched, but I also remember having to give a lot of aileron until it had gotten speed up, which is why the gear helps. But even then it is a task to get in the air. Generally once you are a few seconds into the flight and it is up to speed it gets a lot easier.
I knew the prop was small to start, and it would be a hard launch as a result. I wanted to try.