FTFC19 HYDRA Valkyrie - Amerika Bomber - 9 FOOT MONSTER - Designed by Zephyr1

Zephyr1

Elite member
I'm liking the progress.
How is the structural (flexural) continuity happening? across the ducting? are you using the top and bottom of the wing skin?
It's possible it isn't needed, and is your paint stick triangulation at the nose to reinforce the spar joint at the middle?

keep up the good work!

Thanks! Yes, the triangulation is just to reinforce the nose joint. The structural continuity is not awesome right now. The two pieces of reinforcement that I have are a paint stick beneath the duct tube and an additional stick which runs through the main spar and through the EDF tube. It is turned sideways. I'm going to be reinforcing the top of the EDF as well.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Photo update! It’s getting ready for a maiden
144CF892-3DA4-4C3C-80BB-877900B45606.jpeg

Zephyr1

Elite member
IMG_4898.JPG

Now I'm just waiting for a few more receivers to come. My usual reliable one spent some time in a tree recently. I'm thinking of powering this with a 3200mAh 4S to power the EDFs and then a 5000mAh 3S for the props. It needs some nose weight to balance perfectly I think.
And it will of course need some HYDRA logos on the wings.

(Excuse the mess on the desk)

jfaleo1

View attachment 120041

Now I'm just waiting for a few more receivers to come. My usual reliable one spent some time in a tree recently. I'm thinking of powering this with a 3200mAh 4S to power the EDFs and then a 5000mAh 3S for the props. It needs some nose weight to balance perfectly I think.

The Shield on the floor is a nice touch. Brings to mind Tony’s desk in the first Iron Man with Cap’s shield on the messy work desk while his armor is removed.

Yeah I am a geek....

Zephyr1

Elite member
The Shield on the floor is a nice touch. Brings to mind Tony’s desk in the first Iron Man with Cap’s shield on the messy work desk while his armor is removed.

Yeah I am a geek....

Yeah you are. It's awesome. Did you notice Cap's helmet under the right wing as well?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
View attachment 120041

WOW! That looks fantastic. Have you test glid...glided.. glidded it yet? Any plans, or are you waiting for flight success?

Arcfyre

Elite member
WOW! That looks fantastic. Have you test glid...glided.. glidded it yet? Any plans, or are you waiting for flight success?

I believe you're looking for the past present perfect tense, in which case the correct form would be "glode"

... No, not really. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Grammar goofing aside, this is hands down the coolest wing I've ever seen, and I love wings. Can't wait to see more!

FoamyDM

:ROFLMAO:
Right? I know. I am looking forward to putting my 3" props to good use on a 6'-ish mini version this.

Zephyr1

Elite member
@FoamyDM and @Arcfyre I have some excellent news for the both of you then!! Because I actually have managed to do more than a test glide. I very recently managed a successful test maiden. I managed to fly it for about 45seconds doing one lap on only the twin EDFs. I have some video and I was going to post it in a little while. But until then, there’s this:
566A2DDE-57B3-4F55-B29D-8222BDCB25F0.png
7D9899F1-3FA7-467A-B211-E580E66FB86B.png

Last edited:

Zephyr1

Elite member
Thanks! I got some more footage of it flying today with a mavic and a chase quad! Control is surprisingly good! Stability is somewhat less so, but the main problem is the structural integrity. At such a large size, and without a full wing spar (2 edfs) the plane has a tendency to wobble when descending. But otherwise it's actually a solid plane design, and it's surprisingly fast. I believe that on a smaller scale this could be quite impressive.

Plans, while I do have plans for the entire structure, there is a large amount of the plane that I did off the cuff, which is typical of monster builds. However I will try to make a complete set of plans, I don't necessarily recommend making it at this size though.

jfaleo1

Thanks! I got some more footage of it flying today with a mavic and a chase quad! Control is surprisingly good! Stability is somewhat less so, but the main problem is the structural integrity. At such a large size, and without a full wing spar (2 edfs) the plane has a tendency to wobble when descending.

Sounds like this would be a candidate for a hot wire cut foam with also ply and fiberglass, and or a vacuum bagged layup. I am actually considering hot wire foam wing and fuselage for quintet final version when I get around to it..

FoamyDM

That is a beautiful Plane! and a great video! It will be quite the screamer with the 6 other motors on the back.

I can't wait to put together the micro version with 3".

When you declared this project, I was concerned about the supports too. I thought you would just put a symmetrical airfoil around the CF tube spar that went through the larger outlet. (taper afterward). Then I was thinking that if you built it like the Giant FT A-10, and make a 3/4 ply ring the spar hooks to...

I have a project (Eldar cruiser) in mind like the SR-71 blackbird with a tube shooting through the structural spar, I was planning to set a number of 3/8' thick rings in the foam around the engine tubes to continue the spar. (and cross my fingers) but I have more work before I get there.

Great Job! I can't wait to build one of my own. (now you need a ton of red-faced Hydra troopers to "jump" out of it mid flight.