FTFC19 plane desgin

Pilot_35

I am not sure the name of this airplane, but I found it by typing in diesel punk airplane and it showed up. (If you know the name please tell me) the plane looks cool so I will give it a shot. This will be my first scratch build so wish me luck. But sense it is my first scratch build there will be lots of questions. And any tips, tricks, help is welcome.

bbd57215a009d2a3a01fd998109673c4.jpg

With this plane it is very round, I would like to keep it this way (makes it more challenging). I plan to use 2 power pack C. So 50inch ish wing span. I know the wing will need lots of renfoicment because of the tip mounts. I think this is going to be lots of learning and fun. Knowledge is power right.

Pilot_35

Starting to learn the CAD software. And will start design tonight. That image I posted was the only one I could find so I don't have too much to go off of. Also I suck with coming up with names. So please give me some name Ideas, that way I can give this thread a better title.

Pilot_35

Quick question on sketchup. I downloaded the flattery tool from the extension warehouse. It showes I have it down loaded and enabled but it not letting me use it? What I am doing wrong and how can I get it to work?
Thanks

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@EDinCT had a problem with flattery earlier this year. I think he said that Flattery will not work with Sketchup newer than the 2015 version. What version are you using?

I only have used the Unfold tool. Its hard to find now so I have attached it. Just put the .rb file in your plugins / tools folder.

DamoRC

Attachments

• Unfold Tool for Sketchup.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 0

Pilot_35

Another question. How do you guys take a object from sketchup and put it in a printable form with the size being the same? Hopefully that makes sense if it does not say so and I will try explaining it again.
Thanks

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Another question. How do you guys take a object from sketchup and put it in a printable form with the size being the same? Hopefully that makes sense if it does not say so and I will try explaining it again.
Thanks

This can get a little complicated depending on the approach you use. My workflow from Sketchup to a printable PDF is as follows;

(1) 3D model in Sketchup
(2) Unfold / Flatten the parts in Sketchup
(3) Export the flattened parts into a .DXF file (you will need to install a plugin for Sketchup to to this - search for "Sketchup Export to DXF", there are a number of plugins that you can use.
(4) Open the DXF file in DoubleCAD XT (this is freeware)
(5) You can print directly from DoubleCAD to your printer with no scaling and the parts will be at the right size
(6) If your computer has a PDF printer driver installed (such as AdobePDF or CutePDF Writer) you can select that as your printer and print to a PDF file - this can be the basis of plans you can share

@localfiend has some templates for DoubleCAD XT that can help organize the parts in a printable fashion

Hope this helps.

DamoRC

Pilot_35

This can get a little complicated depending on the approach you use. My workflow from Sketchup to a printable PDF is as follows;

(1) 3D model in Sketchup
(2) Unfold / Flatten the parts in Sketchup
(3) Export the flattened parts into a .DXF file (you will need to install a plugin for Sketchup to to this - search for "Sketchup Export to DXF", there are a number of plugins that you can use.
(4) Open the DXF file in DoubleCAD XT (this is freeware)
(5) You can print directly from DoubleCAD to your printer with no scaling and the parts will be at the right size
(6) If your computer has a PDF printer driver installed (such as AdobePDF or CutePDF Writer) you can select that as your printer and print to a PDF file - this can be the basis of plans you can share

@localfiend has some templates for DoubleCAD XT that can help organize the parts in a printable fashion

Hope this helps.

DamoRC

I have been trying to find a extension to export it as a dxf. The one I found made me make a account with something but them it would not let me log in so that did not work. The other ones cost money. Do you know of one that I could use that is free.
Thanks

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I have been trying to find a extension to export it as a dxf. The one I found made me make a account with something but them it would not let me log in so that did not work. The other ones cost money. Do you know of one that I could use that is free.
Thanks

I think the one that I have requires registration at Sketchucation.

Did you provide a valid email address when you signed up? They should have sent you a validation email.

DamoRC

Pilot_35

Mine is called GKWare Simple DXF it required registration at a place called cab maker 32. They sent me a email saying I was registered but I had to login on Sketchup and it said error 22 user not on file. So if you know a different extension I can try I would be happy to try it.
Thanks

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Quick followup.

I found my old DXF exporter on an older computer. I got this a few years ago but I cannot find it on the web anymore.
I think that this is a better one to use, in fact I have just removed the one I got from Sketchucation and installed this one (thanks for asking the question!)

This will put an item in your File menu (not your plugins) to export to DXF or STL. When the dialogs show up choose your preferred units of measure and then select "Lines" from the next dialog.

DamoRC

Attachments

• ExportDXF.zip
    3 KB · Views: 0

Pilot_35

Quick followup.

I found my old DXF exporter on an older computer. I got this a few years ago but I cannot find it on the web anymore.
I think that this is a better one to use, in fact I have just removed the one I got from Sketchucation and installed this one (thanks for asking the question!)

This will put an item in your File menu (not your plugins) to export to DXF or STL. When the dialogs show up choose your preferred units of measure and then select "Lines" from the next dialog.

DamoRC

Thanks for the help. I am trying to get the hang of double cad XT. SketchUp does this weird thing where it tilts the modle side ways so when you go to print it, it prints side ways and screws up the build. I am trying to counter this in double cad Xt but it will take some learning.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks for the help. I am trying to get the hang of double cad XT. SketchUp does this weird thing where it tilts the modle side ways so when you go to print it, it prints side ways and screws up the build. I am trying to counter this in double cad Xt but it will take some learning.

You shouldn't be having this issue with Sketchup so it might save you a lot of time to fix the behavior of Sketchup rather than fixing Sketchup's mistakes in DoubleCAD (which I find is not as nice an interface to work in).

Can you be more explicit (or post pics) of the the problem you are having? Remember, the Sketchup->dxf file-> DoubleCAD workflow is only to be able to produce printable copies of flat pieces from Sktchup, not to move the 3D model from Sketchup to DoubleCAD.

DamoRC

Pilot_35

You shouldn't be having this issue with Sketchup so it might save you a lot of time to fix the behavior of Sketchup rather than fixing Sketchup's mistakes in DoubleCAD (which I find is not as nice an interface to work in).

Can you be more explicit (or post pics) of the the problem you are having? Remember, the Sketchup->dxf file-> DoubleCAD workflow is only to be able to produce printable copies of flat pieces from Sktchup, not to move the 3D model from Sketchup to DoubleCAD.

DamoRC

Here is what I have in sketchup (don't question the object I am testing something).
Capture.PNG

I exported it as a 2d dxf file. I then op-ed it in double cad and as you can see it is not square like it should be.

doublecadxt.PNG

So when I go to print it, it print side way like that destroying the build. In sketch up I download a power pods some one made and again this was side ways. But when ever I draw some thing in sketchup it come out straights. I am using sketchup 2018 (the newest version). Hopefully that made sense if not tell me what is confusing.