FTFC19 TARDIS designed by HilldaFlyer

HilldaFlyer

Here is my the start of my build thread for the TARDIS.

1536870483589.png

When I did searching on the subject, Otto Dieffenbach was a popular hit. (flyguypromotions.com )

Below are some links to his RC TARDIS. I hope that he doesn't mind a copy.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2015/07/meet-the-fan-behind-comic-cons-flying-tardis

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2370928-Full-Size-Flying-Doctor-Who-TARDIS

In the searches, I did not cross any detailed build specs, for example, I don't know what kind of flight controller he used. I was able to catch in the talking that the first TARDIS was powered by two counter rotating propellers. The bigger second version was powered by a quad setup. However, I don't know if the quad was set up with differential thrust as a the common quadcopters are today. When the TARDIS takes off you can see control surfaces inside the structure. The question that I will have to answer is was it controlled with differential thrust in combination with the control surfaces or were the control surfaces the only means of steering the TARDIS? We will find out... My gut tells me that the control surfaces provide the major contribution, if not all. The reason why is because some others tried to build it..

Here is the first and last flight of the Dodeca-copter TARDIS.
Somewhere in my reading it said that the wind took it and once sideways would not recover. Since the propulsion is on the exterior, I doubt there are internal control surfaces... since they would do little good. This makes me believe that the control surfaces are essential.

The biggest clue was what Otto said in this video. Otto's first TARDIS had counter rotating propellers and the second generation TARDIS used a quadcopter configuration. A set of counter rotating props would never provide enough control, hence, the main control would be the internal control surfaces.

Let the Build begin...

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

Plans
Quad copter design using 4 NTM 2826 1200kv with 9x4.5 APC props. Each motor pulls 28 oz thrust at full power so I'm hoping to have a 2:1 ratio of thrust:weight. Why these motors? This is what I have on hand but I may have to bump up the performance if the box gets too heavy.

The quad structure with 9" props will require about a 20" square, which is pretty perfect for using foam board.

Last edited:

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Most important question... Which Doctor's TARDIS?

Big Dr. Who fan here... will be watching with interest!

HilldaFlyer

Most important question... Which Doctor's TARDIS?
!
Well, ah, Haven't decided yet... I guess my wife will decide? I've watched most of the episodes, but I didn't know the outsides were different. I do know that it is a lot bigger on the inside. Do you have a favorite?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Cool man. I made a small foamboard tardis a couple years back. Never got around to making it fly though. A flying one definitely requires a sound system for flying around though. :D

20161224_174132.jpg

20161224_174138.jpg

20161224_175302.jpg

HilldaFlyer

Cool man. I made a small foamboard tardis a couple years back. Never got around to making it fly though. A flying one definitely requires a sound system for flying around though. :D
I was going to say .. "Yeah, but does yours fly?"... As far as I can throw it.?
Sound... Well, I thought of that... but I don't know yet if I will be able to spare the weight. I can put the sound on my Taranis, but I haven't thought about a mechanism to get the sound up in the air. Right now it will be a challenge to get into the air.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i just responded to your post in the general thread.

this is what you should be looking at... LINK.

if you need help with the joints to build your structure, let me know. as mentioned, i already have a bunch of 3D designs i have already printed and tested. they can be easily modified to what ever you need.

huge Dr. fan, happy to help. (y)

laters,

me :cool:

HilldaFlyer

i just responded to your post in the general thread.

this is what you should be looking at... LINK.

if you need help with the joints to build your structure, let me know. as mentioned, i already have a bunch of 3D designs i have already printed and tested. they can be easily modified to what ever you need.

huge Dr. fan, happy to help. (y)

laters,

Thanks for the ref. and suggestions in the main thread. I have sketched (by hand) some 3D printable joints... but if you already have some STL, then that would be great. What software do you use? I'm not set on the construction yet, but for the prototype I was just going to use square dowel for the cross motor mounts and foam underneath. For the final build I'll need to be able to tear it down for travel.

That kite looks pretty light.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i use tinkercad for the design and simplify3d for my printing. let me know if you need anything, glad to help.

laters,

HilldaFlyer

Well guys,
It has been a tough year, in and outside the hobby - actually outside the hobby that completely deflated drive to do anything. As you probably knew from not seeing any updates, I definitely did not complete the TARDIS (or any other project really). The quad frame has been hanging over my head (literally) for the year. The main hurdle was the firmware to stabilize the unit.

Otto used KK2 boards and must have had some nifty flying skills. I started trying to use BetaFlight, but decided it wasn't going to fit the bill.
Unboxing of a commercial sold flying TARDIS in 2014
It has a KK2 board
fXHIvc1xpd35l4k_trZoQXFphnDARpF1oOmLp38vCdmJVzL96PqBJ9oHLv6j4F_yQo_w-Y3q1hNIIpRxiRyT3VTrC0J09feIHr8s7pDmoP4CKL5X6w_I64Y5EldzJXkN4k_mYQnj

I don't think I want to go that far back in time to make this work.

HilldaFlyer

Flight Controller selection:
I started out with a AMP 1.7 but support for that board has been discontinued. I've been playing around with Omnibus F3 and F4 boards. For this project I actually purchased a PixRacer for the project but just couldn't figure out MissionPlanner and settings to make it work. ArudPilot announced that it now will support F4-based boards, so I thought that might help me out.

As a part of my research I ran across Flyonix, a group who built a full-size TARDIS
1573432738337.png

with an opticopter and crashed it on maiden. Probably because they didn't have control surfaces to help stabilize the big

HilldaFlyer

This year I saw Daniel from RCTestFlight perform Brushless R/C ROCKET Vertical Landing SpaceX Style - RCTESTFLIGHT
Deh7aIwx6Gb1QQvwRdQt61rK_5eV4VE2zK-N2t9qPsbueBl3tHOQyZIOsA-CAeISD95dyKx3YTsBKQl44Xy_0FBjyZSrcSJJW8BemvFu4CPleoOIBDvs4JZXcrVGB3Rs4pKYjsZD

Daniel used a Matek F411 Wing board running INAV for control. So, this would probably work and work well. But, I guess I was still stuck on ArduCopter because of its SIMPLE and SUPER SIMPLE flight modes. I wanted to have the ability to spin the TARDIS on Z axis without loosing orientation. These flight modes keep track of that.