FTFC19 Warhammer 40k Thunderbolt designed by Airc Pirates

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
The Thunderbolt is a heavy fighter used by the Imperial Navy in the game Warhammer 40k.
Thunder3.jpg

Thunder4.jpg.jpg

Warhammer 40k is a miniature wargame that simulates terrestrial battles between futuristic armies. It is one of the most popular miniature wargames in the world. As in other miniature wargames, players use miniature models made of plastic or metal to represent warriors and fighting vehicles.

Here the three-side view:

FW_Thunderbolt.jpg

Here are the planned specifications and electronics:
  • WINGSPAN: 1000 mm | 39.37 in
  • CHANNELS: 4 (THR | AIL | ELV | RUD)
  • EDF: 2 x 64 mm
  • ESC: 2 x 40 A
  • SERVOS: 4 x 9 g
  • BATTERY: 4s
Looks like a lot of thrust!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ohh.... this looks very cool!

I have to say this is the very first EDF plane I've been seriously tempted to build... looking forward to your plans :D

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
After the Hornet is ready to take off and the weather does not allow the flight, I started with the Thunderbolt. The first parts are planned and fit together perfectly. There is so much space in the fuselage! I will reinforce the wing with a carbon fiber tube. I'll start with a straight wing and put the two EDF units on the wing.

ap_tb_001.jpg

kilroy07

Legendary member
Very cool!
I used to play 40K from WAY back (got started with Epic!) Did a 6 year stint as one of their outriders in the 90s...
Next you'll have to do an Eldar flyer! I prefer Tau, but the Eldar are just cooler I think. ;)

Years ago, I took a bunch (not all) of my shirts to my Grandma to make a quilt... (Most awesome quilt EVER!!) :cool:

Attachments

• CoolestQuiltEVER.jpg
    CoolestQuiltEVER.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
ap_tb_002.jpg

I glued the wings in the fuselage and the EDFs on the wing.

The EDFs are sitting in front of the wing spar.
ap_tb_003.jpg

ap_tb_004.jpg

ap_tb_005.jpg

This is not optimal for the airflow - i know, but it looks nicer than if I had glued them behind the wing spar.
I'm still thinking about optimizing the air duct. Maybe I'll leave it as it is now and test the thrust. Let's see.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm curious to see how much detail is going to be in the final version. Your inspiration photo lend very much to foam board detailing.
Great job so far.