FTFC19 Wing Commander Hornet designed by AircPirateNinsei

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
wc_hornet_bg_800.jpg

DOWNLOAD:
ap_hornet_plan.jpg

DOWNLOAD FREE BUILD PLAN

Hornet_Blueprint.JPG
The Hornet is a light fighter for the Terran Confederation during the Terran-Kilrathi War in the game "Wing Commander". Maybe some of you played this game in the nineties. Wing Commander is the eponymous first game in Chris Roberts' science fiction space flight simulation. The game was first released for MS-DOS in the year 1990. Thanks to DosBox this game still works for me. Here are a few screenshots:

wc_028.png
wc_026.png

wc_027.png
wc_033.png
I think the Hornet is a good choice for this challenge. Maybe someone will build a Kilrathi Dralthi for a dogfight.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow. This brings back memories as this was one if the first games I got for computer.

I remember having to get a math co processor just to run it. I was just given a hand me down 8088 mb and proc with a whooping two whole sticks of 128 meg ram, both 2.5 and 5 inch floppy drives and a massive 20 gig hard drive.

It had an old monochrome monitor but soon found a guy refurbishing monitors and upgraded to a 15 inch vga just for this game.

Come to think of it. I dont think I ever finished the game as i soon had another hand me down and got into Decent 3d with the old flashy glasses that alternated lens to produce the 3d effect.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

FDS

Elite member
When you make a Cobra Mk3 from the original C64 Elite I will be in space plane ship heaven.
This design looks amazing, how does it actually fly? Prop or EDF?

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
I would like to equip the model with a propeller setup (FT Power Pack F) for the time being.
Maybe an EDF version will follow, let's see. It has to fly first! :unsure:

Cobra Mk3 - do you mean this one:
attachment.php

image.axd

I think it's a model for thrust vector control.

d8veh

Elite member
You beat me to it. I love the colour scheme. I was going to build a Cobra after my present project, but I guess I'll have to do an Imperial ship now. I love that game. I have more than 5000 hrs in it and have three different commanders at triple elite. One of them did it just for the challenge only using the starter Sidewinder.

Reactions: FDS

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Back to the Hornet!;)
The wing with the FT Mini Power Pod nacelle and the vertical stabilizers is ready.
ap_hornet_020.jpg

Now I'm building the upper part of the fuselage.
ap_hornet_021.jpg

The pilot is waiting impatiently for the cockpit and the canopy.
ap_hornet_022.jpg

In the front part of the fuselage there is not much space for the electronics.
I am curious where I can position everything.:unsure:

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Thank you so much. Yes, everything is cut by hand!
I have asked Santa for a laser cutter and I am curious what will be under the Christmas tree!