FTFC20 1939 Popular Aviation Special by Vimana89

Vimana89

Legendary member
V4 is just about ready to maiden, hopefully tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Vimana89

Legendary member
V4 Maiden successful! Unlike the failed V3, this one is a clear improvement over V2. This one is just about ready to be made into plans. I'm going to see about making a proper top hatch, and possibly scouting out other ways to lay out electronics for a cleaner look. As far as design, this plane is good to go. Stable flight, great turns, loops, rolls, gentle stalls/no lousy stall behavior. I only had full throttle in short bursts on maiden, but this is an excellent high speed flyer and handles beautifully going fast.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Wow that was flying really smooth!! I loved the commentary as well.
Thanks! This version cleared up all the issues on previous ones. It's definitely a nice design and stable high speed flyer. I'll have to do more full throttle and fast passes when I get a bit more comfortable with it. Whoever thought this out in 1939 was thinking ahead of their time but still very practical and simple.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Tidied up, added a Velcro top hatch and some coverings for the servos. Added some more aesthetics including text with a sharpie just kind of free hand. Could have possibly used a stencil but that's so tryhard for a little park flyer like this🙄. I think the freehand makes it a more personal touch with more character.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
The plane in the above picture has been thoroughly tested and is good to go for plans as the 1.0 version! My most recent video flying it is up in the video section on page 1. I've posted it before in another thread but it also belongs here for reference.

What I can say after having developed and flown the plane this far: It is nimble, sporty, and aerobatic, but in a higher speed sort of way. This is not a good slow flyer, high alpha plane or 3d plane. It's well behaved at a modest cruise, but handling and stall behavior get clunky at low speeds. A brisk cruise or high speeds is where this bird really shines. You racer, high speed war bird, and sportster type guys and anyone with a diverse hangar will enjoy this one. Mine's plenty fast with an 1806 motor. Put a 2205 or 2806 on this design and it will rip!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Build guide up, a more recent vid of the final version is up with another to come. Aerodynamics and other info still being filled in here and there, with final pictures to come to the picture section. I will hopefully get my hand drawn plans scanned and submitted tomorrow.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Plans complete, submitted to the resource, page and linked here on the front page and on the main challenge thread. I will link again here just in case. https://ftforumx2.s3.amazonaws.com/2020/01/278738_83a137208c5c6ca6fd950b7549ccda5b.pdf

I've got all my pics and information updated and in place in regard to the challenge and scoring criteria, as well as the three main qualifications: plans, build guide, and flight footage of the final version(though I could add in a couple more clips for good measure). I learned a whole lot from this challenge, and I'm happy to share this design with the community(y)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm not trying to steal thunder, just trying to help you get well deserved marks for your project. (I heard you worry about digital /drafting concerns)
These plans are so simple. Your drawings @Vimana89 made it easy.

Vimana89

Legendary member
@FoamyDM plans are looking good but need a little more adjustment. Ill take them down for now and put 'em back up when they are ready to go(y)