FTFC20 Astron 40 designed by jpot1

jpot1

Elite member
I stumbled across this on outerzone a while back while researching information to try an build an x-wing plane. This challenge is the perfect excuse to get me to get moving on it! I will be targeting C pack electronics and will probably shrink the size from about 40" shown in the picture below to 36" to help reduce weight due to double the wing area.

images.jpeg

Astron 40
Plans are by Bill Evans circa 1979. Bill Evans was the creator of a large number of plans in the Simitar family. Basically plank style aircraft. Outerzone plans and related build article attached.

Final Version
CE9156BA-17B6-45A2-95F0-E74855EC18A7.jpeg

C978989F-E693-4391-9E9D-A033D5DBEAB1.jpeg

05B05546-CAA4-4310-B847-6BF69978175E.jpeg

67AA23D3-B0D3-476B-9134-783D038D6638.jpeg

Attachments

• Astron_40_RCM-781_oz7997.pdf
    482.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Astron_40_RCM-781_oz7997_article.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jfaleo1

I flew one of these (a club member's, he was known for always having something "different"). It flew great and was so cool then. Still is now. I have three in work now so my Scimitar is on hold for now.
Glad someone is honoring Bill Evans in this challenge.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@jpot, you're not done yet!?

I have a kid who may wish to try building this when you're done. At FFO19 he asked if we could build an X-wing... at least here we have an example to start with.

jpot1

Elite member
@jpot, you're not done yet!?

I have a kid who may wish to try building this when you're done. At FFO19 he asked if we could build an X-wing... at least here we have an example to start with.

LOL. I know I build fast but not that fast @FoamyDM! Did get the wing drawn up. Going with a foldover but going to make it smooth on top with the paper removed on the inside. Thinking through how to mount the wings to the fuse.

FoamyDM

3 D print...3 D print...3 D print...
(And craft sticks)
[chanted revenge of the nerds style]

Look at how the wing dihedral of the minimoa full size works.
Or two criss-crossing arrows out through a fuse. Both use a 5mmx5mm DTFB sq. tube. Works good on straight through connections. The friction is enough to hold it in place. Magnets secure it.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

@Jpot - I looked closer these wing should be easy to just make a standard FT wing crease for Dihedral. 1 with the crease on top. (bottom fold over, as usual) and another crease down. (top solid fold under) then pin the front and screw the back. making sure that tail fin rods line up.

jpot1

Elite member
@FoamyDM - agree 100%. I’m just thinking about where the wing sits on the fuse. Since I have two wings/fuse cutouts at the same location there is not a lot of support. Thinking of doubling if not tripping the side wall at that location.

jpot1

Elite member
Build started with the top wing. Used a full spar “U” shaped like in the Scout for the wings. Huge amount of dihedral to get that X shape. Got completely confused and ended up with the control surfaces on the top wing. Was going to put them on the bottom. Not sure if it will make a difference.

5A3CDD4C-03C2-41AB-8138-B1E2F8ED680F.jpeg

FC39CCD0-FF04-4FE0-AC78-69FD815AC167.jpeg

20E09B99-3D15-4782-80E9-452773997323.jpeg

jfaleo1

The Astron I flew years ago had control surfaces on both top and bottom. It was very sensitive to any roll input but fairly stable in pitch.

FoamyDM

Full length surfaces... this will roll like a tootsie!

The obvious is red and yellow, like this:
1567188936327.png

But my thought is a simple wing root front to rear outer corner red swoosh on top:
images

with Black Diagonal-out stripes or a sunburst on the bottom, so yo can tell what direction it's going. (like you'll need that.)
1662-medium_default.jpg

pin stripes down the side (of course.)

(*mutters to self*now why was that so hard?) @jpot1 , Any thoughts on D.8?