FTFC20 Astron 40 designed by jpot1

Vimana89

Legendary member
Thinking about a color scheme similar to the one in this video for the final model.

Looks like a good choice(y). The big 42" RET slender delta I built recently has a similar color scheme of yellow, white, and red, although I've got a few bits of black and decal that includes blue. The colors definitely work well for orientation and stand out.

jpot1

Elite member
Another two batteries today and have it dialed in. 4mm reflex and this takes off beautifully. The only problem is that when taking off it veers strongly to the right. I have even bent the fixed nose gear to the left.

Any ideas why the strong veering? Researching steerable nose gear but haven’t found anything smaller than 5/32” wire (dubro) which seems way overkill.

jfaleo1

Another two batteries today and have it dialed in. 4mm reflex and this takes off beautifully. The only problem is that when taking off it veers strongly to the right. I have even bent the fixed nose gear to the left.

Any ideas why the strong veering? Researching steerable nose gear but haven’t found anything smaller than 5/32” wire (dubro) which seems way overkill.

A piece of plywood which a hole drilled though attached at the point you want it, a wheel collar above and below the plywood, to hold nose gear in place, and an arm (adjustable servo arm maybe) attached to the nose gear and that to the servo. How is that?

jpot1

Elite member
The challenge was attaching the plywood to not move. It would still twist. Came up with this. Applied gorilla glue and heat shrink to lock it in place. Good enough. :)

C8CA2BBC-165D-4326-8AFA-ACC1DD8AF81D.jpeg

00AE1AF6-5746-4FCF-8B6A-B1ACCE221851.jpeg

jpot1

Elite member
Well this turned out to secure the steering arm but then the realization occurred that I would have to insert this through wood reinforcement and out the bottom of the fuse and then do the wire bending. I do not have hands of steel like a Josh B so the bending widened the holes in the fuse so now things are a little wobbly. I’ll see how it works this weekend. For the next version I need to be able to bend the wire and then insert it through the fuse and then attack the steering arm. There is no way to get the U bend shown in the above photos with wire in the fuse as it takes pliers and a vice. That is why a steering arm with an embedded wheel collar like the dubro one works well.

Back to the drawing board.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Maiden flight footage looks great! Seems to handle very smoothly. It does have a nice way of rolling.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well this turned out to secure the steering arm but then the realization occurred that I would have to insert this through wood reinforcement and out the bottom of the fuse and then do the wire bending. I do not have hands of steel like a Josh B so the bending widened the holes in the fuse so now things are a little wobbly. I’ll see how it works this weekend. For the next version I need to be able to bend the wire and then insert it through the fuse and then attack the steering arm. There is no way to get the U bend shown in the above photos with wire in the fuse as it takes pliers and a vice. That is why a steering arm with an embedded wheel collar like the dubro one works well.

IF you were to add the wood to the leg, do the bend etc, then slide the assembly into the fuselage and glue it into place the issue of enlarging the holes would be avoided!

Alternately you could do the bend, slide the assembly into the fuselage through the top, (a hatch?), and then bend the bottom of the leg to suit the fitment of the wheel.

Just a few thoughts!

Have fun!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
All around looking great!

when I widen a hole, I use a plastic card drilled to size a slit cut so you can slide it around the wire. flatten it back out and glue. put one on in and outside. glue down so the slits are 90° to each other,

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Tissue paper for color is a great idea! I've got a big box of all the gift wrap tissue paper colors my wife bought but doesn't actually want to use - would be nice to do something with all that stuff!

TooJung2Die

Master member
Tissue paper for color is a great idea!
I'm thinking of stripping the heavy paper off the white dollar tree foam board and gluing on colored tissue paper. It'll be ultra-light weight, and colored. I'll have to try some to see how much stiffness the tissue paper puts back. Might be enough for small indoor type airplanes in the under 4 ounce range. I've done something similar with colored transparent cellophane gift wrap. That works great.