FTFC20 Bellanca 28-92 Trimotor designed by HardWork

cdfigueredo

Elite member
A little bit of history
The Bellanca 28-92 Trimotor was a racing aircraft built to compete in the Istres-Damascus-Paris Air Race of 1937, and was paid for by popular subscription in Romania. Christened Alba Julia ("White Julia", registration YR-AHA) it was piloted by Captain Alexander Papana of the Romanian Air Force . In 1938, Bellanca re-registered the aircraft in the United States as NX2433 and entered it in the Bendix Trophy cross-country race. Frank Cordova was the pilot for the race, and the trimotor flew as race number 99. Unfortunately, because of engine trouble, the aircraft did not finish the cross-country race. The aircraft competed in the 1939 Bendix Trophy race, placing second, piloted by Arthur Bussy. After being sold in South America, the 28-92 ended its days rotting in a small field in Ecuador.
NX2433_trimotor_02.jpg
bellanca-28-92-papna.jpg

A semi-scale model
IMG_20181216_0001.jpg Bellanca 28-92 Trimotor Plan 1227-1.jpg
Outerzone Bellanca 28-92 Trimotor plan

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Especifications

Wingspan: 46,46 Inches (1180mm)
length: 26,38 inches (670mm)
Weight: 439g (Fully assembled; without battery)
Center of Gravity: As suggested on plans

Electronics
Motor:
GFORCE E400 2212-1250KV
ESC: GFORCE 30A
Prop: 9x6
Servos: 4x 9g Micro Servos
Battery: 3s 2200mAh 25C

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
As part of the process of learning and improving my construction techniques, I have been trying new variants to find the most comfortable.
For most of my models I use EPP blocks and hot wire.
The method of construction using profiles of three views of the model, has brought me good results. But as after cutting the profiles, I have to sand to view, sometimes it gets away from the scale shape of the plane.
Cessna 182
EFX Racer

So I've decided to try a new variant for myself. I would try to build using cross section templates. Like this.

The first thing was to cut all the formers and measure the distances between them according to the plan. Then cut blocks according to the sections between each trainer and center both sides to achieve a correct positioning of the formers. Fixing each former with pins on each side of the block, I cut with the hot wire.
Block.jpg Cutted.jpg

By repeating this process for each piece I obtained the fuselage sections. (In the photo not all of them appear)
Pieces.jpg Pieces2.jpg

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
That's looking great! Should be able to get complex fuselage designs more easily this way! :D
You're quite right. This way increases the precision of the model with respect to the plane. And the best thing is that it allows to design the interior of the model to lodge the electronics of a more precise way.
For now I only hope to achieve a scale looking, then I'll think about how to place the elements inside the fuselage.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Oh thanks. i am working hard on this one.
But I'm stuck thinking about how to hollow out the fuselage.

The fuselage is too thin to make mistakes. I have to think carefully where to mount each component.
I had the same problem with an FW-190 I did a year or two ago, it was a mighty mini size so I just bit the bullet by taking the weight penalty, and only hollowed out enough room for my battery and Rx.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I had the same problem with an FW-190 I did a year or two ago, it was a mighty mini size so I just bit the bullet by taking the weight penalty, and only hollowed out enough room for my battery and Rx.
Great build!!! i saw it now. Excelent!!!
I think i will try to find the best solution to get a balanced plane without to add extra weight.
i also need to find the way to replace some materials here, for example the putty to fill the holes in the foam. I heard something about mixing glue with face powder, but need to try.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Great build!!! i saw it now. Excelent!!!
I think i will try to find the best solution to get a balanced plane without to add extra weight.
i also need to find the way to replace some materials here, for example the putty to fill the holes in the foam. I heard something about mixing glue with face powder, but need to try.
I used drywall filler on the FW-190 for all the little dents in the foam.