FTFC20 Bellanca 28-92 Trimotor designed by HardWork

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I'm going a little slow. Yesterday I finished reinforcing the wings with a 6mm wooden slat.
2.jpg 1.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I made a homemade putty and applied it to the wing motor mounts, I don't have pictures yet, I'm waiting to see if it works.
I hope so. :rolleyes:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
while doing my tests to make my own foamboard, I applied weatpaste directly onto the foam and let it dry. Once dry the weatpaste I realized that I had filled some holes in the foam, so then i sanded gently and it became soft and smooth.
The problem is that in order to fill deep holes it was necessary to apply several coats of weatpaste letting it dry and sanding.
Yesterday I decided to add fine skin powder to the weatpaste to add volume. I left it to dry all night and this morning it was still wet. Today when I get home I will sand and check the added weight.
If everything works I will explain the recipe better.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Yesterday I was working on the details of the rudder. I want it to look as scale as possible.
View attachment 144433 View attachment 144425 View attachment 144426 View attachment 144427

The rear wheel tries to replicate it as in the plane. It will move together with the rudder. I hope it works properly.
View attachment 144428 View attachment 144429 View attachment 144430 View attachment 144431 View attachment 144432

I really love this Tail wheel setup easy to install and set for operation. Thanks for the ideas

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I really love this Tail wheel setup easy to install and set for operation. Thanks for the ideas
Happy to help ;). Mostly tail wheel center is over the rudder hinge so it is easy to setup, but this case was a challenge. :geek:.
But must be tested on the field. :p

cdfigueredo

Elite member
About Homemade Putty
The results were not as expected, but I think it is due to several factors during its preparation. In spite of everything, the option is not bad, it stays attached to the foam and is strong.
Perhaps it would be a better option to apply several thin coats of putty and sand little by little. Maybe the mixture should not be so dense.
I have to keep trying, but it seems to be a homemade solution to the impossibility of getting real putty.
1.jpg
Before and after sanding
2.jpg 3.jpg
Any advice????

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Front landing gear is made with bicycle spokes and umbrella rods. The shaft holding the wheel is a bicycle spoke bent according to the plane. To fix the wheel use slices of ink chamber from a pen. Bike spoke fits perfectly into it.
l1.jpg l2.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Trying to keep the servo inside the mounting of the wing motors, it was necessary to think of a practical and reliable solution. I came up with this piece cut from a thin sheet of plastic. This fits approximately 1cm into the foam and is hot glued.
s1.jpg s2.jpg

To carry the servo cable inside the wing it was necessary to make an inner hole in the wing. For this I used the central tube of an old umbrella and a 5mm foam sheet.
s3.jpg s4.jpg s5.jpg s6.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So, do you think I should use several thin layers and sand between them, instead of using a thick layer?
Should I water down the putty so that it penetrates better into the pores of the foam?

Yes, it is also hard to sand.

I think yes, several thin layers and using a little more water will help. A texture close to toothpaste or a good pesto sauce perhaps :D

Vimana89

Legendary member
Can't wait to see this one fly(y). Anything with three motors is already pretty interesting, but this is a particularly sleek plane, and that is a lot of intricate detail you are putting in. A lot of engineering challenges on building this one and dialing it in right, but totally worth if this flies as good as it looks.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Thank you very much for your kind words.
The truth is it's a challenge, starting because I can only build the single engine version. It really is a model to falls in love at first sight.
It's a plane with a very narrow fuselage, so it would be a challenge to put the electronics inside. I would try to do the best I can, and I hope it flies, but if at least it looks like the original, I would be happy.

Last edited: