FTFC20 Bellanca 28-92 Trimotor designed by HardWork

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Wings glued with the required dihedral
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

I covered the wings with paper and wheatpaste just like with my homemade foamboard. The result is incredibly light and strong. It would have been better if I had applied putty before covering, but I was afraid of adding too much weight.
a.jpg b.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Yesterday I was working on spinners, so far they look good, after the maiden flight I will build some false spinning props.
6.jpg

I've also been working a little on the fuselage. This is the most delicate part because I need to fit all the electronics carefully in such a narrow space. That's why I decided that the entire top of the fuselage will be detachable, including the cowl and cockpit.
Removing the top part.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

The new top part made from a 3mm foam sheet.
4.jpg 5.jpg

The fuselage is assembled from the middle of the wing backwards. The only thing left to do is to mount the rudder. I will mount the horizontal stabilizer when the wings are glued, to ensure that everything is aligned correctly.
a.jpg
b.jpg c.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
As I had suspected, the fuselage is so narrow that I had to remove part of the wing to accommodate the battery. Luckily, the wing did not lose strength in the surgery and remains stable. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
1.jpg 2.jpg

The fuselage is almost complete.
3.jpg

The closing mechanism of the upper hatch
a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Everything is assembled, the fuselage totally glued to the wings. I could have tried to make the wings detachable but the contact zone between the wings and the fuselage is too weak to fix a mounting mechanism there. I only need to glue the stabilizer, but I will do after covering the fuselage with paper, to ensure that everything is properly aligned.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

He's getting close to the original model.
6026.jpg

This is the approximation of the desired positions for electronics.
a.jpg

But the reality is different, I had to move the battery forward considerably to get a proper balance. I still need to finish the model to really estimate the final position of the battery, but at least it gives me an idea.
c.jpg

The engine mount has been a challenge, but it's ready. The ESC would have a great airflow in its favor.
b.jpg d.jpg

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Before gluing the front section of the fuselage
4.jpeg 3.jpeg 5.jpeg

Motor mount tamplate. Look how close is the motor mount to the fuselaje edge o_Oo_Oo_O
2.jpeg

Working on the pilot figurine, not bad to be the first try. :cool:
1.jpeg

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
To get the right balance on the CG, I had to move the battery forward against the initial plans. I still need to finish the model, but I have an idea of where the battery is going to be.
a.jpg b.jpg

I would try my best not to add extra weight.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I need help!!!!!!! :sick:
please, as you see the intake is quite big, which would allow a smooth air intake to cool both the engine and ESC. But I have no idea where to put the air outlet without ruining the aesthetics of the model.
3.jpg
The original model comes with exhaust pipes on both sides of the fuselage and on each wing engine. I plan to do the same with small hollow tubes that will allow air to escape, but I don't think it would be enough.
6026.jpg

Any ideas????? please!!!!!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think if you open up all those little holes on the side it would probably be enough - especially if you give it time to cool fully between flights. Maybe on the first few flights only go for a minute or two and then feel for how hot the motor and ESC get as soon as you land. If you can hold your finger against it without needing to pull away, it's still an OK temperature.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I think if you open up all those little holes on the side it would probably be enough - especially if you give it time to cool fully between flights. Maybe on the first few flights only go for a minute or two and then feel for how hot the motor and ESC get as soon as you land. If you can hold your finger against it without needing to pull away, it's still an OK temperature.

Oh, I think I'd try to get as many exhaust pipes as I can, keeping the scale. I'll do as you say. Also try to do the same in the workshop, keep the engine with the propeller on for about 1 min and check how hot it gets. Although the airflow would be lower, I think.
Thank you very much!!!!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Oh, I think I'd try to get as many exhaust pipes as I can, keeping the scale. I'll do as you say. Also try to do the same in the workshop, keep the engine with the propeller on for about 1 min and check how hot it gets. Although the airflow would be lower, I think.
Thank you very much!!!!

I would be cautious in extended running in the workshop, even with the propeller on - keep checking temperature frequently because as you say - airflow will be lower on the bench.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I would be cautious in extended running in the workshop, even with the propeller on - keep checking temperature frequently because as you say - airflow will be lower on the bench.
Yes, u are right. I will do it, just short runs and then temp checks. Hope it goes well.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
It's been a while since I last updated the thread.
First to say that it flies.
On the flight the power proved to be more than enough. The plane took off in just a few feet. But the engine needed a few degrees of downward incidence. The flight was short and challenging, as he tried to climb wildly, to the point of trying to loops.
My friend cut the engine and let it glide. He did really well and steady, and finally landed on some bushes. Luckily there was no damage.

I've been a little lazy :cautious:. All i need to do is add some washers to the engine mount. Should be enough for a happy flight.

Will keep u update guys ;).