FTFC20 Bellanca Aircruiser C-27A by Matagami Designs

Matagami Designs

Master member
Matagami,
huge thanks for the V2 pdf plans !! plan is to devote january to the build.

Awesome. Post your Build and any question you have. I added some quick build notes that highlight the different techniques for V2 in Resources as well.

Attachments

• Bellanca Aircruiser C27-A V2 Build Plan .pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 0

Matagami Designs

Master member
Going to update these plans before i get to carried away with the next build. I moved the the wheels 3/4" further forward and had much better results taking off form the grass runways. I also added some jumbo Popsicle sticks to the sidewalls as reinforcements as the wheels would constantly want to pop out.

Attachments

• wheel pants.PDF
    124.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20191227_232625.jpg
    20191227_232625.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 0

Matagami Designs

Master member
Well I have recently been trying to do more with this plane but had a few unfortunate issues. A few weeks back I lost my 2nd version, cant really explain it but it was completely uncomfortable, no roll response and the flight obviously didn't last long. A few days after that I flew the original V1 and burned up my c pack motor about 4 minutes into the flight. There was no damage other than the motor so I jumped on amazon and ordered a new motor. I went with an 1100 kv 3548. And when I got it I realized how big it was and decided to back off and tried a 835 kv 2628? I put one flight in with that and it was severely tail heavy until I added a bit of nose weight. It seemed slow and I wanted a bit more excitement so I went ahead and dropped the 3548 in and took it out tonight before the rain came through. I was not disappointed in the power. The 1st flight was a ton of fun but after only 2 minutes I drained my 3s 2200 down to 3.75 v. After replacing the battery I went and tossed it in the air again. About 30 seconds into this flight things took a turn for the worse. I pulled a way too tight loop and overstressed the fuselage. The nose ripped clean from the rest of the plane and i quickly lost track of it. The rest of the plane just slowly tumbled out of the sky.... unfortunately I lost the nose in the thick bean field below. 😥 That's the battery the motor, esc and the receiver too. Anyway I really enjoyed this plane and want to have some more fun with it. I will start designing V3 tomorrow probably. My main goal is to have easier access to the battery and a more resilient fuselage. I'm not sure if I will do the ft style wing like I did in V1 or the nerdnic speed wing style like I had for V2 but leaning more towards the basic style. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this plane? Any other general suggestions?
20200828_211236.jpg

PoorManRC

Master member
That was happy and tragic at the same time. 😊😭
Here's to V3, and smooth Sailing!! She's a beautiful design, with extra surfaces that I believe would decrease Wing Loading. Would love to see her in the Air!! 👍👍

Matagami Designs

Master member
A quick update on the next version of the aircruiser:

I have done a bit of research and found better plans of a larger balsa model to work off of from the aircruiser family, this has helped tremendously. Based on these plans a lot of stuff started happening. I lengthened the Fuselage a bit made the tail about 10% bigger and moved the wings back from where they were by about an inch as well. I also am lowering the stub wings/gear and accessory wings to be flush to the bottom of the fuselage. I went about redesigning the fuselage to get some of the smoother shapes i am after but was struggling with how to do the hatch. I believe i will be relocating it to the bottom of the nose and add a few velcro straps to hold the battery up in place. I am hoping to add a bit bigger battery this time as well to increase flight times with the larger more fun motor. :D The internal structure of the nose has also been blocked out to add some needed stiffness. Here is a screenshot of what ive got done so far. Still have a ways to go but i cant wait to get this back on the bench and then up in the air.

1599017577040.png

Also check out his picture i found on the interwebs, looks like i may be adding flaps to the next iteration. :cool::p

1599017694408.png

Attachments

• Bellanca_Aircruiser_oz12007.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Matagami Designs

Master member
Getting closer to cutting foam. Redesigned the internals completely and changed the nose to have better curves.

1599620061609.png

1599620200449.png

Not so sure about the accuracy of the cad but it looks like the new wing position and bigger, better motor will make it way nose heavy... basically the opposite from before. I plan to strap the battery on-top of the gear spars with a hatch that opens on the bottom but if it turns tail heavy i have plenty of room in the nose to move things further forward. Need to finalize the printed cowling, Tail servo routing( plan to use ptfe tubing sandwiched between the fin pieces), hatch magnet bracket, wheel pants, cabane struts, add a spot for the flaps, and give it all another once over.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Getting closer to cutting foam. Redesigned the internals completely and changed the nose to have better curves.

View attachment 178692

View attachment 178693
Not so sure about the accuracy of the cad but it looks like the new wing position and bigger, better motor will make it way nose heavy... basically the opposite from before. I plan to strap the battery on-top of the gear spars with a hatch that opens on the bottom but if it turns tail heavy i have plenty of room in the nose to move things further forward. Need to finalize the printed cowling, Tail servo routing( plan to use ptfe tubing sandwiched between the fin pieces), hatch magnet bracket, wheel pants, cabane struts, add a spot for the flaps, and give it all another once over.

Let me know when you get the new plan completed. I am willing to build one.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Finished up the cowling/engine block. My computer struggles with this much detail but i think it adds a lot to the model when its on the ground. A bit challenging figuring out how to design something like this that will be printable with little added support. This will be 3 pieces, the radial block, exhaust, and cowling ring. Already printed the radial and its a bit bigger than i was expecting. I will try to print the exhaust stack tomorrow but thats a bit longer print and requires support material.

1600045165025.png

RAD.jpg
20200913_210148.jpg

PoorManRC

Master member
That REALLY looks GREAT!
I can't wait to be able to afford a 3D Printer. There's so many amazing files like this, that adds so much to something that some see as just a "Cheap Foam Board Aircraft"!!
We know better. 😉

Matagami Designs

Master member
That REALLY looks GREAT!
I can't wait to be able to afford a 3D Printer. There's so many amazing files like this, that adds so much to something that some see as just a "Cheap Foam Board Aircraft"!!
We know better. 😉

I would definitely recommend the ender 3. Not alot of bells and whistles but a solid overall printer at a good price point. Tons of upgrades out there too.

PoorManRC

Master member
I would definitely recommend the ender 3. Not alot of bells and whistles but a solid overall printer at a good price point. Tons of upgrades out there too.
Thank you!!! That Printer is still at the top of my Want List!! It might be just user friendly enough for a CAD STUPID Guy like me to actually USE!!! 😜😂
I have to hold on for less than one more year... Then there will be enough for ANYTHING I've ever wanted, for the rest of our lives AND a Road Trip around the Country - JUST to meet the good People who actually HELPED me in some of my darkest days.
(That isn't over yet!) 😞

Will your Files be available? I can think of a couple of other Aircraft that your Engine/Cowl would also work (semi-scale applications) like the Scout, Junkers JU-87 or even a Ford Tri-Motor, among others! 😊

Matagami Designs

Master member
Is that a Time SAV you are cutting the plans with?

It is. I have done a few projects with it now. I have a love/hate relationship with it as I dont follow the normal inkscape work flow and am currently fighting the gcode/grbl controller to do arcs the way I intend. In the past I would convert these to poly lines but as they say ain't nobody got time for that...

chris398mx

Master member
It is. I have done a few projects with it now. I have a love/hate relationship with it as I dont follow the normal inkscape work flow and am currently fighting the gcode/grbl controller to do arcs the way I intend. In the past I would convert these to poly lines but as they say ain't nobody got time for that...
I have one that i need to put together. Hopefully all goes smoothly.