FTFC20 Bellanca Aircruiser C-27A by Matagami Designs

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Ready to Fly!!

Ready to Fly.jpg

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
The wind was still down when I got back from work this morning so I grabbed the AirCruiser and headed out to the field. I’m happy to report that it flys very well. Great job Matagami Designs!!
I am working on getting the videos downloaded/ uploaded Should have it posted by tomorrow morning. 😃

OliverW

Legendary member
The wind was still down when I got back from work this morning so I grabbed the AirCruiser and headed out to the field. I’m happy to report that it flys very well. Great job Matagami Designs!!
I am working on getting the videos downloaded/ uploaded Should have it posted by tomorrow morning. 😃
Congratulations!

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Nice flying @Aviator08. And you stuck the landing too! :D Now that you've flown it what are your thoughts on the build?
Thanks!
It's a really good build. I would add the location marks to the inside of the wheel struts for the spars ( as I mentioned earlier) ,and with the rounded nose there is not a solid vertical alignment for the power pod. Not sure how that would be accomplished because the 2200 mAh battery needed to be slid as far forward as possible to get the correct CG. ( I just held the power pod where I wanted it while I fed the skewers through.) Other then that I wouldn't change a thing. Everything fit together like it should. Great job on the design!

Matagami Designs

Master member
Thanks!
It's a really good build. I would add the location marks to the inside of the wheel struts for the spars ( as I mentioned earlier) ,and with the rounded nose there is not a solid vertical alignment for the power pod. Not sure how that would be accomplished because the 2200 mAh battery needed to be slid as far forward as possible to get the correct CG. ( I just held the power pod where I wanted it while I fed the skewers through.) Other then that I wouldn't change a thing. Everything fit together like it should. Great job on the design!

Thanks for the feedback. I can easily add the strut spar locations to the plans. As for the vertical alignment i have the ESC mounted on top the power pod. Putting a wall there as a stop would take away the cooling for the ESC. :unsure: I think if the initial alignment for making the holes on the power pod is good and if they are reinforced with plastic or balsa everything should be OK. I have straws running through the power pod on my build so its easier to align the holes. I was also thinking of making a foam spacer guide to help retain the power pods 3° of down thrust. Hopefully that will be good enough.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Thanks for the feedback. I can easily add the strut spar locations to the plans. As for the vertical alignment i have the ESC mounted on top the power pod. Putting a wall there as a stop would take away the cooling for the ESC. :unsure: I think if the initial alignment for making the holes on the power pod is good and if they are reinforced with plastic or balsa everything should be OK. I have straws running through the power pod on my build so its easier to align the holes. I was also thinking of making a foam spacer guide to help retain the power pods 3° of down thrust. Hopefully that will be good enough.

I didn't see it in the build video, but I might of missed it... It is important to glue popsicle sticks on each side connecting the nose to the main fuselage to secure the nose on . ( don't ask me how I know this.:oops: ) AirCruiser is as good as new!! :D

Matagami Designs

Master member
I didn't see it in the build video, but I might of missed it... It is important to glue popsicle sticks on each side connecting the nose to the main fuselage to secure the nose on . ( don't ask me how I know this.:oops: ) AirCruiser is as good as new!! :D
Well It definitely isn't the strongest joint but I didn't mention anything in the build video. I think if you were to put packing tape along the inside it would be a lot stronger. It will break at the seam there if you try to land too vertically. I know this from experience. Luckily its relatively easy to fix.

Matagami Designs

Master member
I had my own successful flight this evening after the rain had ended and sun started to show a bit. I am curious @Aviator08 how you have the servos rates set up on your build. @willsonman has pointed it out that it should probably have a little more roll authority. Initially I had the closest servo hole and furthest control horn hole but have since moved too the middle hole on the horns but I feel I still want more. Seems like your model rolls nicely so figured I would ask.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I had my own successful flight this evening after the rain had ended and sun started to show a bit. I am curious @Aviator08 how you have the servos rates set up on your build. @willsonman has pointed it out that it should probably have a little more roll authority. Initially I had the closest servo hole and furthest control horn hole but have since moved too the middle hole on the horns but I feel I still want more. Seems like your model rolls nicely so figured I would ask.
I set my models up with the furthest hole out on the servo, and the middle hole on the control horn. Then I set how much throw I want with the transmitter.