FTFC20 Biloute designed by HardWork

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Last month I started the construction of this great model in this thread "A new attempt to start right.". I will try to keep the thread as clean as possible. ;)

I've decided to build a real trainer model, specifically the Biloute, a model from this French page.
237990_c43975840df48b86ca52c9181fac1029.jpg 237992_8a22376b91e0529925db384f5428aeda.jpg
Initiation to the construction in wood, 2-axis and 3-axis steering, and the first figures of aerial acrobatics.
This Biloute is also equipped for the night flight, it can receive floats to evolve in hydroplane, skis in case of snow, or an embedded video camera, or even FPV equipment, and even occasionally a cable for improvised towing...
The Biloute is suitable for all, with no other pretension than to make you happy as often as possible.
Easy to build and fly, Discreet for storage or during transport, will follow you everywhere, always ready to accumulate flight hours.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Although the model accepts up to 3100 mAh, I think my 2200mAh batteries would be heavy for a model of only 1m wingspan, so I've scaled it up to 120%.
As part of continuous learning, I have decided to test new construction techniques by taking ideas from FT and others from the method I use regularly.
For the construction use EPP sheets of 3,4,5 and 10 mm thickness obtained with the hot wire cutter.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
My hot wire cutter table
I want to share with you some pictures of my hot wire cutter.
It is a simple piece of wood from an old table. The hot wire is fixed at one end and at the other end it has a bottle with water to tighten the cable. The thickness of the cut is regulated using shims at both ends.
MEsa de corte.png
For the 3mm cut I am using two identical metal rods.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
3mm sheets
5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
The wings
The first thing I discovered was that to work with such thin sheets of foam, the surface must be completely straight and smooth. Otherwise unwanted twists will appear.
1.jpg

I glued the bottom reinforcement, and then used it as a guide to mark the position of the ribs.
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Then glue a 5mm thick front to the leading edge.
6.jpg 7.jpg

I also added another piece for the trailing edge. and then glued the top reinforcement.
8.jpg 9.jpg

In the middle of the wing I decided to add a solid block of foam to improve strength.
1111.jpg 10.jpg 222.jpg 11.jpg

To cover the wing I used a 3mm sheet, fixing the edges to the leading edge with paper tape. Use white glue and hot glue to fix the wing quickly.
13.jpg 12.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 23.jpg

Then, the other half
22.jpg 222.jpg 111.jpg 444.jpg

Details of the center of the wing against the light.
333.jpg

Using packing tape for decorations.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Tail group
I have used thin sheets of 3mm / 4mm EPP obtained with the hot wire cutter. I have also added some light wood reinforcements to improve the strength.
IMG_20190711_205403.jpg IMG_20190711_205412.jpg IMG_20190711_205419.jpg Tail group.jpg

Better visibility of backlit reinforcements
IMG_20190711_235012.jpg IMG_20190711_235021.jpg IMG_20190711_235037.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Can't believe you are now making your own foamboard. An amazing effort!
Oh yes, it's not as strong as foamboard, but it's still good enough. If we apply a layer of paper with glue and water to the final result, it will have the same rigidity as the foamboard, but with smoother curves. And I calculate that with an approximate weight.

I can only get EPP here, but I would like to offer a model and plans that are easy to replicate using foamboard for whoever wants to try.

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Can't believe you are now making your own foamboard. An amazing effort!
I am immersed in a process to perfect my construction technique and realism in the models. However, first I prefer to stick to a plane that flies well. Then there will be others that look better.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Fuselaje
I've been checking the fuselage and as the foam I use is not high density, the 5mm sheet is too fragile, so I've decided to build the fuselage the way I usually do. From a solid EPP block using the technique described in this article https://www.flitetest.com/articles/i-made-my-own-efx-racer-and-i-ll-show-you-how.
new.jpg new2.jpg

Then I cuted it in half and disposed the electronics properly inside.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

All the electronics are arranged in place and only remains to check the correct balance of the aircraft.
4.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Everything's ready. The center of gravity is in place. All that remains is to fix the battery and then go see how it flies.:unsure:
1.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

The only mayor mod i must make to the original plane is to open some big air intakes just at both sides of nose, like this model. And of course, some exit holes... to allow air flow.
242362_9e0ca851d56b21a99e26ad3ba191dd14.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Looks great!
I like your CG stand too.
Thanks for showing how you made your solid fuselage. It what size pieces do you get your EPP?
CG stand was a fast solution, just a hard wood block, two holes and two pencils ;). Not fancy but works well.
The piece I used for the fuselage I got from a large piece of 100cm x 30cm x 10cm wide. Where I live there are no big stores like Wallmart or HomeDepot, so the EPP I use is the one that is used as lightweight roofs in construction. It is a pain because it is low density and the balls come off easily when sanding. But it is the one I have at hand. :sneaky:

Last edited:

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Hello everyone, after a while without updating the post, I think it's time to do it. :cool::D
Yesterday we went to maiden the Biloute.
Excellent! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
You can't ask for more for a model trainer. Excellent performance in the air, more than 40 minutes of flight with each battery. o_Oo_Oo_O
Using dual rates you get a slow flight with very smooth responses and almost no vices. A few clicks of the aileron trims were necessary.

Last edited: