FTFC20 - Build-Ruary (Build Challenge)

FishHawk

At the size I'm building, It could use more weight and a bigger motor, but I'll be keeping the build super light so it'll be more floaty and hopefully do low-n-slow well. The higher-energy moves like crankshafts and stuff I don't expect it to do very well.
Quick question, what is the .15 supposed to mean in the motor description? Every time I turn around, I see a new way of classifying motors.

mayan

Legendary member
Alright FOLKS - we are just past Half-way Through the Challenge How's it looking for everyone. I see Some of use are Cruisin' and some may need some encouragement.

WE got this! remember even if you build only 1, that is one more plane you didn't have before the challenge - still a win!
Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 11.53.26 AM.png

Need to get some things moving especially on reviewing the planes I've built. Which bring me to this question @FoamyDM, "do you want the reviews by the end of the month or can that all be submitted until the 15th of march along side the maidens? I personally rather write one review of the whole experience build/flying rather than write a review for the building and then update it after flying. What do the rules say :)?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 8.56.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 8.56.48 AM.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FishHawk

I’ll be using it on the 140% edge. It’ll be a 4.5 foot wingspan.
I think a .15 nitro (glo) engine would be a little small for a 140% FT Edge 540. Decades ago when I flew CL Stunt, I had a Nobler powered by a Fox 36X. The Nobler has a 50 inch wingspan and normally weighs 2 lbs 4 oz. If I recall correctly the Fox swung a 10x5 prop though, so the Rimfire with a 12x6 sounds right for your Super Extra.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think a .15 nitro (glo) engine would be a little small for a 140% FT Edge 540. Decades ago when I flew CL Stunt, I had a Nobler powered by a Fox 36X. The Nobler has a 50 inch wingspan and normally weighs 2 lbs 4 oz. If I recall correctly the Fox swung a 10x5 prop though, so the Rimfire with a 12x6 sounds right for your Super Extra.
Ok, well that’s encouraging! One thing I’m slightly concerned about is the gas to that the cowl is 8.5 inches wide. That means there is only 3.5 inches of prop wash. The tips of the prop make the most thrust, so I’m hoping it’ll still have a ton of power, but part of me worries it’s not going to have the punch I want. I don’t have any doubts that it will fly, I’m just slightly worried that it won’t be overpowered like I was hoping... :LOL:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Made this in about two hours today, wasn't gonna enter it if it didn't fly, but it does! I used the stick and rear wing from my boneyard tandem, and modified it into a tail plane with still decent size elevons. I want to start using air foils here and there starting with the most basic, for strength, stability, and better high speed control, so I made a simplified KFM style one just one layer glued on another no fold. I maidened in wind, and despite being small and 3ch, flew decent and came back with no damage.

Attachments

• IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Made this in about two hours today, wasn't gonna enter it if it didn't fly, but it does! I used the stick and rear wing from my boneyard tandem, and modified it into a tail plane with still decent size elevons. I want to start using air foils here and there starting with the most basic, for strength, stability, and better high speed control, so I made a simplified KFM style one just one layer glued on another no fold. I maidened in wind, and despite being small and 3ch, flew decent and came back with no damage.
Nice! I just realized I'm only half way done, and I have 9 days to finish up two planes... The current and latest plan is the FT Corsair and my T-28. The T-28 is already partly done so that's why I'm choosing it.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Very nice!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Nice! I just realized I'm only half way done, and I have 9 days to finish up two planes... The current and latest plan is the FT Corsair and my T-28. The T-28 is already partly done so that's why I'm choosing it.
T-28 is a smooth flyer if you get it right. That one should be nice. With this newest one I've got five planes done. I'm experimenting with a lot of new stuff I haven't tried before, so I'm pumping out a lot of fairly quick prototypes, some better than others. I might do something that takes a bit more time and is a bit more complex before the end of the month, but if I don't, I got a variety of interesting entries anyway so it's all good, and I'm learning a lot.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
T-28 is a smooth flyer if you get it right. That one should be nice. With this newest one I've got five planes done. I'm experimenting with a lot of new stuff I haven't tried before, so I'm pumping out a lot of fairly quick prototypes, some better than others. I might do something that takes a bit more time and is a bit more complex before the end of the month, but if I don't, I got a variety of interesting entries anyway so it's all good, and I'm learning a lot.
I’ve flown the umx version and I really like it! You have come up with some really cool stuff over the last month! :)

Vimana89

Legendary member
I’ve flown the umx version and I really like it! You have come up with some really cool stuff over the last month! :)
Thanks, been trying all different types of planes and getting better at 4ch. Air foils are the next hurdle, I rarely use them on my custom designs, when some could really benefit. I just haven't had much success with them or practiced building them much yet.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great job