FTFC20 - Build-Ruary (Build Challenge)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
LLogo.PNG

February is FT-Build-Ruary Month!

Hi All, Lets welcome another flying season, ready to go!
I challenge all here to turn February into FT-Build-Ruary

So Many Planes So Little Time:
I, like most folk in this community, have a LONG build list of planes I would LOVE to build. In the last couple years and late 2018 there has been in incredible influx of new Classic Balsa designs turned Foam, fantasy Planes, Plans, builds and ideas/inspiration with the Bloody WWII Baby! forum thread and and the FTFC WWII Design & Build Challenge, and the FTFC Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge the FTFC Classic to Modern Challenge, as well as any plans listed by SPONZ and other forum members.

Challenge: Spend February building at least 4 functioning RC Foam planes. Make a list and Build-log for each plane on the list. This will be scored out of 100 pts. (5 pts for entry, and 24 pts for each Build)

TO ENTER:
Be sure to post your entry below:
Must have a Declaration of participation with a link to your Build Thread
a list of your four(4) planes.

Build Thread Summary (5 pts):
Start a Thread - "FTFC19: Build-ruary by (Builder)" with your linked build list. Include your estimated Build Skill and Piloting Skill (1=New, 5=Expert)

Example:
FTFC20: Build-ruary by FoamyDM (Build Skill: 4 Skilled, Pilot SKill: 3 Novice)
  1. FT-Storch Kit
  2. 445mm Micro Wing -For the kids
  3. FT-SeaDuck Kit
  4. FTFC - Fantasy Design & Build:
Extras:
  • FT Explorer (lit)
*Extra Planes beyond the submitted four(4) will be counted for 30% value (round up)*
For this entry I would earn - 13pts. Most of these are at or above my build and piloting skill level, the delta is well below.

BUILD POSTS: (24pts each)
Set aside Posts 2 - 5 and title them "FT-Build-Ruary: (plane) Build by (builder)"
Each build post will be scored as follows:
  1. 1pts Picture of the plane
  2. 2pts Plans link and/or Forum link (for other community memmbers to find them)
  3. 2pts Reason for choosing this plane
  4. 6pts Build-log: A brief explanation of your build process, and note difficulties, changes and tips along the way. Be sure include your build pics and a estimated build time.
  5. 2pts Build Rating (1 Simple -5 Complex), Use These Icons:
  6. 3pts Color Scheme - A decorated plane is more fun!
  7. 4pts Maiden Video *Due before March 15th*
  8. 2pts Fly rating (1 Easy - 5 Sketchy) Use These Icons:
  9. 2pts Post-project reflective statement. (Summary of Do's, Don't and tips)
*Planes started prior to Febraury 1st will take a 5 pt. deduction.*

I will keep a running tally in a post below for easy reference!

The Build Challenge Begins February 1st and Ends on the 1st of March 2018!
Maiden Videos must be posted before March 15th.
*That means You will have 2 additional weeks to get your maiden flight*

The Winner will receive (Supplied by FoamyDM):
  • Bragging Rights!
  • I plan set cut from DTFB*
  • Trophy (maybe)
Runner Up will receive
  • Full Size Printed Plans*
*plans must be supplied by the winner.

Good Luck FT Community, Get your plans ready and Happy Building!

-FoamyDM

Last edited:

FoamyDM

LLogoFull.PNG

1) FTFC20: Build-ruary by @FoamyDM (Build Skill: 4 Skilled, Pilot Skill: 3 Amatuer)
1. FT - Arrow​
2. Mehve​
3. FT-P-38 Master Series​
4. FT-Corsair Master Series​
2) FTFC20: Build-ruary by @Hondo76251 (Build-3/Pilot-3)
1. Sea Duck​
2. Custom Mini DH.88​
3. Tiny Trainer​
4. Bushwacker​

3) FTFC20: Build-ruary by @mach1 rc (Build-4/pilot-4)
1. mini zero​
2. su-26​
3. pitts model 12​
4. vampire​

4) FTFC20: Build-ruary by @The Hangar (build skill: 4 skilled, pilot skill: 4 skilled)
1. Ft Nutball​
2. Ft Flyer​
3. Ft Delta​
4. Ft Pietenpol​
5) FTFC20: Build-ruary by @ScratchBuildMast (Build Skill: 4 Pilot Skill: :sick: )
1. Edge 540​
2. ME262 (mine..)​
3. Mighty mini master series spit by @Grifflyer
4. mighty mini Hurricane by @mach1 rc

6) FTFC20: Build-ruary by @mayan (Build Skill: 4, Pilot SKill: 3 Novice)
  1. Hurricane
  2. Racer
  3. LongEZ
  4. Bloody Baron
7) FTFC20: Build-ruary by @DutchRoll (Build Skill: 2, Pilot Skill: 0.5)
  1. FT-Mini Tiny Trainer
  2. FT-Mini Corsair
  3. FT-Bloody Wonder
  4. FT-Bravo STEM
8) FTFC20 - Build-ruary by @Grifflyer (2019 Champion) Build Skill: 5 Pilot Skill: 4
1. Dehavilland Mosquito​
2. Mini Scout (long time since I've flown one)​
3. Vampire​
4. SNS2 Guppy​
9) FTFC20 - Buid-ruary by @kilroy07 (Build skill: 3, Pilot Skill: 3.5)
  1. SR-71
  2. Luscombe Silvaire
  3. @sundown57 's SOG
  4. Foam Concept Jet's Dark Wing
10) FTFC20 - Buid-ruary by @FishHawk (Build Skill: 2, Pilot Skill: 1)

1. AP Mini Argus (mostly cut out beginning of Jan)​
2. SloFly 22 (modded for DTFB)​
3. AP Kwak (for the Grands)​
4. Hai-Lee's Kulula glider​
11) FTFC20: Build-ruary by @herbertjalarcon (Build Skill: 3, Pilot Skill: 3 )
1. Ft Fokker DR1​
2. SE5​
3. Master Series Spitfire​
4. Self-designed Albatross​
12) FTFC20: Build-Rurary by @K3V0 (buildskill: 3; pilot skill: 2)
1. @BATTLEAXE ’s Kitfox​
2. Ft Storch​
3. Ft sea duck​
4.Ft versa​
13) FTFC20: Build-ruary by @Vimana89 (Build Skill: Pilot Skill: )
1. Custom Tandem Wing 4ch Trainer​
2. FT Vector(Speed Build Kit)​
3. Custom Four Wing Plane V2​
4. Custom 4ch Canard Plane​
14) YOU
1581363738194.png

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Results
Finally the results are in and the winners are apparent. Before I reveal the winners, I want to take a moment to thank everyone who threw their hat into the ring this Year.

We tried something new this year, Discord based Build parties. Where a handful of us got together and built our respective planes or not, and chatted about what we were planning and building amidst the beginning of the pandemic. If you were unable to join us, please know I am new at discord, and I meant nothing by any accidental exclusion. I am getting better. I hope those interested can find a way to connect as we build.

As with each year, the Challenge starts with a great plan, perfect intentions and big hopes. and it finishes with some successes and some less so. This year was the year of the punt option. Most of us realized this challenge can be more difficult than we expected or that life would butt in more than wanted. This year mores so it seemed. When looking at the final play-out of the contest, there were those that didn't get far, a few that finished. and another handful more that showed us that FT planes are easy and quick to build and even as easy and fun to design your own. All of the winners were in this last group.

So without further ado - Drum roll please.

WInners - Lets' take a moment to congratulate each of them.
Special Mention - @Hondo76251 - He tackles very technically advanced builds involving GPS, and FCs and navigation automations but still complete the challenge.
I will be in touch with each of you soon,

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Let me be the first to Enter...
FTFC20: Build-ruary by FoamyDM (Build Skill: 4 Skilled, Pilot Skill: 3 Amatuer)
1. FT - Arrow
2. Mehve
3. FT-P-38 Master Series
4. FT-Corsair Master Series

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Sounds like a good one to me, count me in!

Build-3/Pilot-3

1.) Custom Mini DH.88
2.) Sea Duck
3.) GPS Mini Cruiser
4.) Twin Boom TT

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Build 1
Micro DH.88 Comet "Black Magic"

I've always been an aviation nerd and I like interesting stories. The DH.88 Comet, built specifically for the 1934 MacRobertson air race, definitely has an interesting story. This particular comet, G-ACSP "Black Magic" is one of two surviving original planes. Though not as famous as "Grosvenor House," (the red one) Black Magic holds several records of her own: England-Karachi during the 1934 MacRoberston air race, and later as "Salazar" after being sold, set and then broke her own record for London-Lisbon in 5hrs 27min in 1937.

This build was made up as I went, no plan other than a picture of the plane. I wanted to use old toy quad motors so I knew roughly the size and weight I'd be limited to. I used the rolled foam (mater series) technique mostly which is fairly tricky on something this small. (The fuse is only 1" wide) The electronics are quite small and delicate. It required a lot of soldering on components like the ESC's which are about the size of my pinky fingernail. Because of the size, I'd rate this build:

Build: 4.5

I did the maiden before paint because if any shifting of the CG was required I would have to do surgery. Luckily it came out about right. It flew surprisingly well for such a small and light plane and also proved to be reasonably durable. With a little trimming I think I could get her some better low speed manners and if I had it to do again I would go with an As3x receiver. Due to the small size and its affinity to quickly enter a tip stall at low speeds, particularly when trying to land I'd rate the flying experience:

Flight Characteristics: 4

All in all I'm pleased with how she turned out. Its a nice piece to add to my fleet, an homage to an early pioneering airplane. I do plan to do this build again a bit larger with some brushless motors, a bit more like a Mini Master series build and shoot for sub 250 to make a fun FPV platform. Since this was a scratch build with no real plans, I don't have a lot to offer in tips and tricks other than any time you build something this small, even the simple stuff gets exponentially harder!

Here is the video:

Build 2
FT "Smart" Duck

As a kid I always watched Tailspin, and who doesn't love the Sea Duck!? This is the second time I've built the FT Sea Duck. My first one was retired long ago and I've been thinking about adding another to my fleet for quite a while. I've done my share of long range FPV flying in the past, a great deal of which was done manually. (No stabilizers, no GPS) and I've always thought that the Sea Duck would make a great platform for a long range PixHawk powered system due the the large easily accessible cargo area. What better excuse than the Buildruray!

The build was done pretty much as per the FliteTest instructions in the build video. I did add rudders to it and did not do differential thrust in an attempt to keep the setup simple for the flight controller. I did not glue the lower portion of the fuselage to the rest of the plane and chose to secure it with packing tape. This allows me to open the craft up to have good access to the electronics. The Sea duck itself isn't a terribly difficult build but I would say it is closer to a master series than it is something like the tiny trainer. With the added complication of all the electronics (PixHawk, GPS, UHF receiver, DJI Camera) I'd rate this build a solid:

Build: 5

The Maiden went well, the plane flew great even with all the extra weight. It took very little trimming to get hands off flight even before turning on the stabilizer. The power level with the twin C pack motors was pretty good as well. I may toy with some other props as I continue development of this platform. All in all I'd rate the flight:

Flight Characteristics: 1.5

I'm looking forward to continuing to toy with all the capabilities of this Duck. I've already got a lidar and pitot tube ready to go on as well as some LiIon batteries to try out!

Here is the video:

Build 3
FT MM Cruiser (w/GPS)

I've had numerous versions of the DH.88 in my fleet, easily one of my favorite aircraft. I wasn't planning on doing ANOTHER Comet for the buildruray but I had a wild idea to see what kind of an FPV craft the Mighty Mini Cruiser would make. I originally set out to do a Sub 250 build but I had an extra UHF mini receiver just laying around so I thought I'd give that a try instead! I do plan to revisit the Sub 250 MM Cruiser in the future as It seems totally do-able after having weighted all the electronic options I was considering. In truth, this platform is probably more well suited for that roll than the medium range FPV platform I have it configured for now.

Much like the Duck, this build was done pretty much as per the FliteTest instructions in the build video. I added a wooden spar and chose to mount the wings under the fuselage vs through it to give more room for the electronics and to make the routing of the wires easier. (also looks more "Comet" like that way) The Mini Cruiser is a fairly simple build itself but I did increase the complication by adding a PDB, UHF receiver, 1000mw TX, and runcam mini to the craft. I'd give the cruiser build itself a 2 and the electronics add a good 1.5 so I rate it at:

Build: 3.5

The Maiden wasn't an immediate success. I had originally mounted the video TX far out on the starboard wing but this was a mistake. With the gross weight already being 380 grams the added weight so far out from the CG was a problem. I was able to fly it with the stabilizer but just barely. I went back and moved the TX farther inboard and that mitigated the problem. It turned the unruly little beast into a slightly less unruly one! Its a handful in manual mode but flies very well with the stabilizer which is sort of ok as stabilized FPV flight was the goal of this build all along. I'd rate it at a full on 5 but due the stabilizer I'd give it a:

Flight Characteristics: 3.5

The flight controller I used is a ZOHD Kopilot Lite. It features a GPS and return to home. The RTH combined with the 1000mw TX video and UHF receiver makes this a cool build if I do say so myself! At $40 I'd recommend that ZOHD to anyone! I've already had it out over a mile with no trouble at all so I'd say it has fulfilled its intended roll of a medium range FPV craft. I've had a blast flying it the last couple weeks and I have to say that the added weight has not diminished the "Mighty Mini's" reputation for durability. The wooden spar does help but she's taken some pretty spectacular knocks and keeps on going! Like I said in the beginning, I want to revisit this build with a sub 250 craft in mind but I think I will also try this "medium range" build again with a few tweaks that I think would make it even cooler.

Here is the video:

Build 4
Twin Boom Tiny Trainer

As you might have noticed by now, fixed wing FPV is kind of my thing. I've been considering a twin boom build of some kind for a while, something like my Sea Duck but smaller. I was this to be a bit more user friendly, portable. I decided a simple way to go would be to use the plans for the Tiny Trainer! I've seen many modifications to the design but I've never seen one like this. My theory here is that the center pod is easily removable to service the electronics and to change the configuration for the mission if so desired. I didn't have time to get into this for the buildruray but decided a basic proof of concept was in order.

This is yet another build that is done pretty much as per the FliteTest instructions in the build video. I have added a wooden spar and I chose to use the glider wing but I may reconsider that in future versions. The glider wing made adding a spar easier but it is also a bit thick for the higher speed I would like out of this platform. Because this is simply two Tiny Trainers in one plane Id say the build is pretty simple. Future versions may include removable outer wings to aid in transport but for now, as was built for the buildruray, I'd rate it:

Build: 2

The Maiden went well. The plan flew great, right up until I got into a nasty little tip stall! I think altering the wing a bit will help with this but the overall flight of this TBTT was a great success I think. It really got me excited for all the things I can do with it. This is definitely a project that I will continue with in the future. I'd rate it:

Flight Characteristics: 2

Here is the video:

All in all I feel good about my builds this last month. Most of them are projects that I will continue with this summer and will have their own threads that I will keep updated on. The Micro DH.88 is just to show that I do, occasionally, paint my planes! lol Because the rest of them are works in progress I generally don't get excited about getting them all pretty. I'm a function over form kind of guy most of the time! Just like most, given more time I'd have all kinds of things I would have liked to have completed but life is what it is. I'm glad I was at least able to get mine together and in the air in time! Its been fun watching all the builds come together and I look forward to seeing all the cool things that have been built!

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hmm, I want to join as well. @FoamyDM how much does “started” count? Definitly not already cut out cause you wouldn’t get docked for a speed build kit. I have a pietenpol that would work - all I did was pop out the foam cavities and test-form the engine. I don’t think that would count either as I never even glued anything, and also you don’t even need the engine - it’s optional I believe. The ultra stick wing is done and the fuse is partly completed - I know I would lose 5 points for that, but is that going too far?

mach1 rc

Master member
Ok not sure how all of this will work so I'll try to do what the others did😉

Build-4/pilot-4

1: mini zero
2: su-26
3: pitts model 12
4: vampire

(Everything is master series)

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Hmm, I want to join as well. @FoamyDM how much does “started” count? Definitly not already cut out cause you wouldn’t get docked for a speed build kit. I have a pietenpol that would work - all I did was pop out the foam cavities and test-form the engine. I don’t think that would count either as I never even glued anything, and also you don’t even need the engine - it’s optional I believe. The ultra stick wing is done and the fuse is partly completed - I know I would lose 5 points for that, but is that going too far?
I dont feel like anyone would complain about that, at least I sure dont care! Like you said, I'm going for mostly speed build kits!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Awe.... I want to go to a build party! :LOL:

like I said, I'm not a big stickler for rules, if we're all doing a build it sure doesn't seem like it alters the spirit of the competition to use the build month to finish up a build that got put on the back burner. Often it seems that stepping back into an old project is harder than starting fresh anyway so I see no particular advantage to having completed step 2 of 399 ahead of the "official" start date... Thats my vote on this issue at least

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

like I said, I'm not a big stickler for rules, if we're all doing a build it sure doesn't seem like it alters the spirit of the competition to use the build month to finish up a build that got put on the back burner. Often it seems that stepping back into an old project is harder than starting fresh anyway so I see no particular advantage to having completed step 2 of 399 ahead of the "official" start date... Thats my vote on this issue at least
Ok, that's what I'm thinking, cause there are several builds I've started and haven't had a reason to finish, and this gets me excited about it. I'm looking forward to getting these things in the air!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Ok, that's what I'm thinking, cause there are several builds I've started and haven't had a reason to finish, and this gets me excited about it. I'm looking forward to getting these things in the air!
Same for me, and I would guess most of us in this hobby! We're probably all wired about the same, so many projects, so little time!

I purchased a Bushwhacker speed build kit a while ago for another competition (C-pack lifting challenge) but I got busy with work and haven't even started it. I figure I'll build it for both challenges! Heck, I might even put it up against my Timber in the challenge I started, "How many landings can you get on a single battery?"

I built a tiny trainer into an RC glider a while ago to help teach my youngest to fly. did a little slope soaring with it myself a time or two. I bought two kits at the time with the thoughts that I'd build the second for my other kiddo. Now they're both ready for powered flight so the 2nd Tiny trainer will be built as part of this challenge as its a project I've been meaning to get done so my kids can keep progressing. Like you said, this is good way to get some incentive going!

I just put together another ultra micro DH.88 (version 3.2 :unsure:) using old brushed quadcopter parts but wasn't pleased with the results. I plan to start that again, this time using maker foam now that I got my hands on some. What better place to post that than here?

And lastly, the sea duck. Probably one of my favorite planes but I built my first one from DT foam. Even though I only landed on the water with it a couple times it didn't really like it. :LOL: I thought it would fair better in the snow, and it did to some extent but I ultimately had to retire the airframe. I purchased the speed build kit but its been setting on my shelf collecting dust FOREVER... I want to try my hand at something other than a down and dirty rattle can paint job so I figured that'd be a great plane to try it on.

I'd love to hear the back stories on the planes you guys are choosing!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Same for me, and I would guess most of us in this hobby! We're probably all wired about the same, so many projects, so little time!

I purchased a Bushwhacker speed build kit a while ago for another competition (C-pack lifting challenge) but I got busy with work and haven't even started it. I figure I'll build it for both challenges! Heck, I might even put it up against my Timber in the challenge I started, "How many landings can you get on a single battery?"

I built a tiny trainer into an RC glider a while ago to help teach my youngest to fly. did a little slope soaring with it myself a time or two. I bought two kits at the time with the thoughts that I'd build the second for my other kiddo. Now they're both ready for powered flight so the 2nd Tiny trainer will be built as part of this challenge as its a project I've been meaning to get done so my kids can keep progressing. Like you said, this is good way to get some incentive going!

I just put together another ultra micro DH.88 (version 3.2 :unsure:) using old brushed quadcopter parts but wasn't pleased with the results. I plan to start that again, this time using maker foam now that I got my hands on some. What better place to post that than here?

And lastly, the sea duck. Probably one of my favorite planes but I built my first one from DT foam. Even though I only landed on the water with it a couple times it didn't really like it. :LOL: I thought it would fair better in the snow, and it did to some extent but I ultimately had to retire the airframe. I purchased the speed build kit but its been setting on my shelf collecting dust FOREVER... I want to try my hand at something other than a down and dirty rattle can paint job so I figured that'd be a great plane to try it on.

I'd love to hear the back stories on the planes you guys are choosing!
Now we're talking! I think that's what this challenge is all about!

FoamyDM

Maybe we could set up a buildruary Discord. Community build night party.

Cut out is ok... Assembly reduces points.