FTFC20 Clancy Aviation Speedy Bee in Foam Board!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
For the 2020 FliteTest Forum "Classic to Modern" Challenge I'm going to do a conversion of the classic 1996 Clancy Aviation Speedy Bee to Dollar Tree Foam Board (DTFB). She's a goofy looking little bird with the wing chord way too big, the tail too close to the wings, a pudgy little fuselage, and I just love her :love:

side.jpg
frqtr.jpg
inflt2..JPG

The origonal balsa plans are available over here on Outerzone https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2315 in case you don't have the July 1996 edition of Radio Control Models where it was first published :D

2315.jpg

My approach is going to be to import the plans images into DoubleCadXT (my free drafting software of choice) and borrow ideas liberally from anywhere I can find them :D

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've gotten several questions from people in this challenge about how to make the plans, so I'll be doing a semi-detailed walk through of my process.

First open up a copy of @localfiend 's template in DoubleCAD XT.

Next, convert the PDF plans into JPG images using a free online website like https://pdf2jpg.net/

Then insert the JPG image of the plans into the DoubleCAD file as a "Raster Reference Image"

Next is to draw a 6" line (that's the red one in the picture below) and resize the Raster Reference Image so that the scale in the drawing matches the 6" line in the CAD file. Since there are three pages of plans, I need them to all be at the same scale - would be very bad otherwise!

Capture.PNG

You could also decide "I want to build a plane with an 80" wing span" in which case draw an 80" line and resize the raster image so that matches the wing span. It's always possible to change the size of things later in the process, but once you start adding score and cut lines based on the thickness of the foamboard, it takes a lot more work to adjust the scale.

Next up is to start tracing over the outline of the shapes :D

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
And here's what it looks like to outline the plans in the CAD program with a combination of lines and arcs.

Annotation 2019-08-14 152448.png

On the left side you can see all the plan outlines worked out, in addition to the other pieces of the CAD template file and some things like the Decal Outlines left over from a recent project.

Capture-1.PNG

Next step I'll hide the raster images and start figuring out how to "unfold" the outlines.