Solved FTFC20 Classic to Modern Forum Challenge!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Gosh dang Foamy you knocking these things out is an inspiration, thanks for the reminder. Gotta three day break this weekend thatll give me the time i need to finish... i hope
I feel the same way.
Some of these are in essence adding the last few bits and touches to existing builds, (tackle some of them now.) and I have been working each of these 1 bit at a time, but squirrel style. so 1 or 3 things on 4 projects at a time. next day is a different 4. etc. don't forget to add in inspirations like the tank, and sky terror. (likely to bring attenetion from Homeland Sec.:oops:) I do nothing for months... and them boom boom boom, all done, on after another. other folks it's a steady done 1 idea every 2 weeks.

I can't wait to see the SoilRacer finished!

FoamyDM

@rockyboy
The ARGUS is finished!
Build Plan and Build Guide await approval before being displayed publicly in FT Resources.

Here's the flight video:

Since there should be up to 5 points on the landing in the video, here is the proof that it works:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WaHCa2m7Z1EJKnEpy07wz4yb98LXcuGo/view?usp=sharing
Great work and flying, I suppose I will have to add this to the build list too! @Boberticus is right the nose really sells it.

Spacefarer

I keep missing these challenges, and everything else... I am building a topflite metrick out of foamboard, but progress is slow. I will eventually post it here just because it fits, probably in march.

FoamyDM

I keep missing these challenges, and everything else... I am building a topflite metrick out of foamboard, but progress is slow. I will eventually post it here just because it fits, probably in march.
Nice, Keep at it. slow and steady gets it done!

Sub to the User Generated Challenges thread - There is a FTFC20 Build-ruary Challenge starting in a couple days. 4-planes, 4-weeks. I will likely also lead an April Showers Challenge. (build a Waterproof Plane fly it in the wet.)

Last edited:

FoamyDM

LAST WEEK
The Challenge is coming to a close! :eek:

Where is everyone at?!?! Sound off
Foamy Bird of Time |Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Burgesse Dunne Flying Wing | Plan V1.0 | Forum Thread

Savoia Marchetti s55x | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Lincoln Sport |Plans B1.0 | Forum Thread

Spruce Gosling |Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Foamy Mara | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Foamy WindFreak | Plans V1.01 | Forum Thread

Minimoa 30 | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Minimoa 50 | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Skinimoa (18) | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Foamy Prandtl-D | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread (glides great)
Remington-Brunelli v2 | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Luscombe Silvaire | Plans B1.0 | Forum Thread

=nearly built, =Ready for Glide test, =flew - poorly,= Flew Well!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I love all the great builds and energy we've seen in this forum challenge! :D

Unfortunately, I am not sure I will be able to keep my commitment to complete all of the scoring in February without significant help. I am dealing with my father's failing health and finances, requiring me to make several trips from Virginia back to Montana over the next several weeks, and just don't know if I will have the time available to complete this task as I planned to.

My apologies to everyone, and I will try to still check in here as frequently as I can.

Thanks,

mayan

Legendary member
I love all the great builds and energy we've seen in this forum challenge! :D

Unfortunately, I am not sure I will be able to keep my commitment to complete all of the scoring in February without significant help. I am dealing with my father's failing health and finances, requiring me to make several trips from Virginia back to Montana over the next several weeks, and just don't know if I will have the time available to complete this task as I planned to.

My apologies to everyone, and I will try to still check in here as frequently as I can.

Thanks,
Health first man. Stay safe. Hoping your dad will get better soon too

Vimana89

Legendary member
Update: I was unable to finalize and complete plans for the Vulcan and Floating Kidney. Not sure how this is scored, but if it is based on my best entry rather than a sum of all of them, you can ignore evaluating and grading those two planes that will not be having plans submitted. My 1939 P.A. Special is the plane that I think is the most well rounded and best performer out of the three(but only by a bit, because they all turned out pretty good). I just re-read the rules, and it says specifically digital plans. I'm not sure I brought this up before, but I have no experience with digital CAD programs and things like that, and I spent the year focused on learning how to build and fly planes rather than trying my hand at that yet(as I started this challenge barely knowing how to fly only RET low aspect planes like the Nutball and finished out the year building and flying multiple types of 3ch planes with elevons and ailerons too).

What it comes down to is that all I've got is hand drawn plans that I've just completed, and have to figure out how to scan and upload tonight or tomorrow. They are tiled and completely functional, and use basic FT symbols for cuts and folds. The plane itself is great, very simple to build and a sporty, aerobatic flyer with some high top end speed for that little 1806 Radial. Granted I can get these submitted(and I can't even guarantee approved by FT mods) before the 31st, I hope you will rather just dock a few points from the plans segment rather than make my entire entry not valid. Either way, I do not need anybody's sympathy or approval, the process of building and flying these planes for this challenge taught me skills and knowledge that's a lot more important to me than the challenge itself, just figured since I did put a lot of work in that it should at least count for something.

FoamyDM

Update: I was unable to finalize and complete plans for the Vulcan and Floating Kidney. Not sure how this is scored, but if it is based on my best entry rather than a sum of all of them, you can ignore evaluating and grading those two planes that will not be having plans submitted. My 1939 P.A. Special is the plane that I think is the most well rounded and best performer out of the three(but only by a bit, because they all turned out pretty good). I just re-read the rules, and it says specifically digital plans. I'm not sure I brought this up before, but I have no experience with digital CAD programs and things like that, and I spent the year focused on learning how to build and fly planes rather than trying my hand at that yet(as I started this challenge barely knowing how to fly only RET low aspect planes like the Nutball and finished out the year building and flying multiple types of 3ch planes with elevons and ailerons too).

What it comes down to is that all I've got is hand drawn plans that I've just completed, and have to figure out how to scan and upload tonight or tomorrow. They are tiled and completely functional, and use basic FT symbols for cuts and folds. The plane itself is great, very simple to build and a sporty, aerobatic flyer with some high top end speed for that little 1806 Radial. Granted I can get these submitted(and I can't even guarantee approved by FT mods) before the 31st, I hope you will rather just dock a few points from the plans segment rather than make my entire entry not valid. Either way, I do not need anybody's sympathy or approval, the process of building and flying these planes for this challenge taught me skills and knowledge that's a lot more important to me than the challenge itself, just figured since I did put a lot of work in that it should at least count for something.
@rockyboy has a full plate it seems. and he will not be getting them scored for a while... my 2 cents is to scan and submit the plans as they are. and if you would like I should have some time next month to work them up for you if you would like. you can then upgrade the version as they get finished. You have put together some great work here, and you have absolutely come a long way in a year. don't worry. the winner just gets to be the braggart. The prize is the community, the challenge of it all, and now we all have a number of planes at our disposal we would not have had otherwise.

Vimana89

Legendary member
@rockyboy has a full plate it seems. and he will not be getting them scored for a while... my 2 cents is to scan and submit the plans as they are. and if you would like I should have some time next month to work them up for you if you would like. you can then upgrade the version as they get finished. You have put together some great work here, and you have absolutely come a long way in a year. don't worry. the winner just gets to be the braggart. The prize is the community, the challenge of it all, and now we all have a number of planes at our disposal we would not have had otherwise.
My sentiments exactly, thanks for the support(y). I will scan plans likely tomorrow, right now I just finished the build guide and I'm filling in/polishing up the build thread.

FoamyDM

I flew the following today. videos are posted in each build thread.
The Mara, bungee launch, glides well, i need to remake the fuse again, glue up a crack in the wing from a nose in on a bungled launch... the hook method and bungee worked very well. I feel if I had y hands on the stick, I may have averted the trouble.​
Marchetti S55x - this made a better hover craft than plane today. during the attempt, it took apart the empenage. - maiden fail...​
Vought OS2U-3 Kingfisher - This plane flew, but I filmed it backwards so it is a film of the ground. it was squirrelly. so possibly was more tail heavy than I realized. on second attempt it was a nose in, which destroyed the front end, most of the other parts survived. This likely wont make it in the air again, until Feb.​
Lincoln Sport - Took off and flew briefly, this will be a moment to fix back up, I wanted better success.​
Luscombe Silvaire - It was amazingly good flyer.​

FoamyDM

Todays and likely my final contest update
Foamy Bird of Time |Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Burgesse Dunne Flying Wing | Plan V1.0 | Forum Thread

Savoia Marchetti s55x | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Lincoln Sport |Plans B1.0 | Forum Thread
Spruce Gosling |Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Foamy Mara | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Foamy WindFreak | Plans V1.01 | Forum Thread

Minimoa 30 | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Minimoa 50 | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Skinimoa (18) | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread
Foamy Prandtl-D | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread (glides great)
Remington-Burnelli v2 | Plans V1.0 | Forum Thread

Luscombe Silvaire | Plans B1.0 | Forum Thread

=nearly built, =Ready for Glide test, =flew - poorly,= Flew Well!

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I organized and finished up adding all the information and pics to my build thread. I have(and have had since earlier this evening), all three of the main criteria for a valid entry(which can all be located on my build thread): Plans, build guide, and at least one flight video of the finalized version. Like I said before, no need to evaluate the Floating Kidney or Vulcan, since I was not able to complete plans, but my '39 Special is completely ready(y)

FoamyDM

I KNOW this is nitpicking, but I think I submitted the Spruce Gosling as a part of this mess. (not in post 2).
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/spruce-gosling-by-foamydm.56016/
Balsa Plan Link:
https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=102194&mode=search

That said I doubt I will have it flying under powered flight, but I will Try valiantly tonight.
In this vain, I am submitting the plans as a resource, in the stunning event I manage to get it flying tonight/tomorrow and get this project as viable for consideration.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/foamy-spruce-gosling.115/