Solved FTFC20 Classic to Modern Forum Challenge!

jfaleo1

One more for now. The Half-A Chaos. small size classic. article icludes the small ugly stick but not my thing for now.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc20-half-a-chaos-designed-by-jfaleo1.59783/
Half-A_Chaos_RCM-607-A_oz9211_article.jpg

Attachments

• Half-A_Chaos_RCM-607-A_oz9211.pdf
    169.3 KB · Views: 0

Tdugar

I'd love to join in the fun but I have no idea how to get plans formatted correctly. If I could get help with that itll be greatly appreciated

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd love to join in the fun but I have no idea how to get plans formatted correctly. If I could get help with that itll be greatly appreciated

That's exactly what this challenge is about - helping people learn to design and make plans! :D

Here are a couple great threads and videos on this to get you started, and a whole bunch of us will be following your build thread and answering questions to help you along too

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/part-1-how-to-design-dtfb-planes.11967/
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-style-cad-templates.25514/

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
In case you dont know what to build, here are a few ideas. Maybe they inspire you!

Plans are all available at Outerzone

Yogi
221.jpg

Skygipsy
484.jpg

Super Scorpion
00ozt6.jpg

Leprechaun
00issss6.jpg

Cherpaa
iujhgfd003.jpg

Air-O-Jet
4433.jpg

Sportwin
10418.jpg

X-Sounder
10682.jpg

Skyjet 200
9483.jpg

Windbag
8632.jpg

Space Ship
8502.jpg

Slat Wing CL trainer
9680.jpg

Flying punt
4537.jpg

I really hope to see some of these in the challengeI

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
So I just made a photoshop edid of some modifications I want to install on my Wind Puff! I think it looks great, but it changes a little bit from the original. Its still going to have an oldscool vibe, but with some STOL action mixed into it. @rockyboy are these changes too much or is it still OK with the challenge guidelines?

5920.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So I just made a photoshop edid of some modifications I want to install on my Wind Puff! I think it looks great, but it changes a little bit from the original. Its still going to have an oldscool vibe, but with some STOL action mixed into it. @rockyboy are these changes too much or is it still OK with the challenge guidelines?

View attachment 138565

There might be a couple missed points for not matching all of the original profile, but she looks great and should perform great too, so build it! :D

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
HI Rockyboy,

Looks like a lot of fun again this year.

Question: the rules state " balsa model aircraft plan " . Does that include other wood plans also? ( ie. aircraft spruce, birch plywood, etc.)

Tim

MarioGdV

In case you dont know what to build, here are a few ideas. Maybe they inspire you!

Yogi
View attachment 138537

Skygipsy
View attachment 138538

Super Scorpion
View attachment 138539

Leprechaun
View attachment 138541

Cherpaa
View attachment 138542

Air-O-Jet
View attachment 138543

Sportwin
View attachment 138544

X-Sounder
View attachment 138545

Skyjet 200
View attachment 138546

Windbag
View attachment 138547

Space Ship
View attachment 138548

Slat Wing CL trainer
View attachment 138549

Flying punt
View attachment 138550

They look pretty cool! Now I regret designing the J-1 instead of one of those planes, specially the Sportwin and the X-Sounder... Maybe I'll build one of them in a future.

Vimana89

Legendary member

Yogi
View attachment 138537

Skygipsy
View attachment 138538

Super Scorpion
View attachment 138539

Leprechaun
View attachment 138541

Cherpaa
View attachment 138542

Air-O-Jet
View attachment 138543

Sportwin
View attachment 138544

X-Sounder
View attachment 138545

Skyjet 200
View attachment 138546

Windbag
View attachment 138547

Space Ship
View attachment 138548

Slat Wing CL trainer
View attachment 138549

Flying punt
View attachment 138550

That canard sea plane punt and the windbag rocket thingy were two very memorable ones I remember from browsing. Even not for a water plane, straight up, I like the punt design. The nose could easily be tweaked to mount the prop facing back from the "head"(kinda looks like a horned or frilled dragon.

Here's some good ones.

Shrike forward swept tailless wing
1565299541310.png

Hoopskirt annular wing plane
1565299602099.png

The Super Wing, a wing with a tail boom. Looks super cool, but does it have super flight characteristics? No clue.

1565299751285.png

The Big D, a unique tailed delta with a nacelle tractor. Apparently the designer was a big fan and contributer of many delta wing builds, and this is a highly perfected and optimized version.
1565299992514.png

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
HI Rockyboy,

Looks like a lot of fun again this year.

Question: the rules state " balsa model aircraft plan " . Does that include other wood plans also? ( ie. aircraft spruce, birch plywood, etc.)

Tim

Sure! I'd be surprised if you find a model aircraft plan that only uses woods other than balsa, but it would still fit the spirit of the challenge!

They look pretty cool! Now I regret designing the J-1 instead of one of those planes, specially the Sportwin and the X-Sounder... Maybe I'll build one of them in a future.

Do a second one or switch your entry! Come back to the J-1 later if something else grabs your interest more - this is supposed to be fun after all! :D

MiniacRC

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@rockyboy
I wanted to go with a classic sport legend from the mid 1900s, the Waco YMF5 Biplane. :) First fell in love with it when my buddy brought the umx version to the field. It has a beautiful presence in the air and performs slow aerobatics with ease. Shooting for a small and light Mighty Mini, F and A pack capable.
View attachment 138618
MiniacRC
Mighty Mini WACO YMF5 Sport Bipe
View attachment 138619
Awesome plane! :D

Don't forget to share your build thread link here...

Corbarrad

I'm thinking of doing th Carl Goldberg Electra.
It was my first powered plane back in the 80s and I happen to have an unbuilt kit at home.
I'd fit it with a C-pack, probably and a 3s2200, which is way more power and way less weight than the original had, but let's face it, that Mabuchi 550 barely managed to lift its 7 cell lipo.

My only concern is.. is it too small of a challenge?.. box fuselage and standard wing?
knowing me I won'te get done in time regardless.

Fidget

I'm thinking of doing th Carl Goldberg Electra.
My only concern is.. is it too small of a challenge?.. box fuselage and standard wing?
knowing me I won'te get done in time regardless.

Nah. That's one that a lot of people might really build after you come up with the plans. It might even be more of a challenge than you think. I scaled down Mike Robey's Serenity (https://www.flitetest.com/articles/it-s-not-a-radian-but) to 75% and left the angle of the polyhedral the same, and it flew very poorly. It would just roll left and right like a snowboarder in a half pipe.

Corbarrad

Nah. That's one that a lot of people might really build after you come up with the plans. It might even be more of a challenge than you think. I scaled down Mike Robey's Serenity (https://www.flitetest.com/articles/it-s-not-a-radian-but) to 75% and left the angle of the polyhedral the same, and it flew very poorly. It would just roll left and right like a snowboarder in a half pipe.
I'm not sure I want to scale it down at all.
The Electra is only around 80" with a conveniently split wing and without the battery, which is right at the cg it's a very competent glider.
You're right, though. it might not be as easy as it looks. It just lacks the spectacle that some of the proposals I've seen in the the thread provide.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm not sure I want to scale it down at all.
The Electra is only around 80" with a conveniently split wing and without the battery, which is right at the cg it's a very competent glider.
You're right, though. it might not be as easy as it looks. It just lacks the spectacle that some of the proposals I've seen in the the thread provide.

Spectacle, schmectacle! Build what interests you and we'll all watch and cheer along! :D

Also, I think this would be the biggest balsa conversion of the contest - don't recall any others stating intention to stay with one that big! Maybe that Flite Test Monster Foam will be out in time to help with your build too... :unsure: